Alternator power supply...

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
I have a sub and amp in the car for my ICE but when I pump up the volume, all the electrical system dimmed when the bass pumps. It includes meterbox lamp and headlamp. This is not new and has been discussed before in the old forum.

I know this is a common problem but I have similar setup in my Sentra and I don't get this problem.
Will a Pivot Voltage Stablizer help?

chubster

Known Member
Aug 14, 2012
New Zealand
I have a sub and amp in the car for my ICE but when I pump up the volume, all the electrical system dimmed when the bass pumps. It includes meterbox lamp and headlamp. This is not new and has been discussed before in the old forum.

I know this is a common problem but I have similar setup in my Sentra and I don't get this problem.
Will a Pivot Voltage Stablizer help?
from what ive read it proberbly wont. first off do the "BIG 3" Increase Car Audio Power 25% - How To Install Big Three Upgrade - Easy 15 Volt Stereo System Big 3 - YouTube

if its still a problem then i would get a better battery.

its just excessive voltage being drawn from the system during the bass notes. the easiest way to stop it is to turn down the bass.

in my old car i used to be able to almost get it to stall at idle from my amps, ans a friend of mine couldent drive with his music on at night in the rain cause as soon as he turned the window wipers on the car would stall :confused:

also note that as your battery voltage drops things stop to work as effictivley, like pumps and injectors :D

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Thanks for the suggestions bro...

I have removed the subwoofer and disabled the amp for now. So even tho I cranked up the original headunit, it's fine. Just that something is missing without the bass. I was using 15" sub.

So stablizers don't really help, that is what I understand as well.

har1th7

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
invest on some good caps (those big 1 farad ones).... it help when the bass in drawing amps from the system, the caps will compensate it...

*read from somewhere*

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
yup, I went to the accessories shop and this is what they suggested too. :) Thanks for the advice bro.

kaninbu

500 RPM
Dec 2, 2008
KL
bro, is this happening from day 1 since u got the 15inch?should check ur voltage.
if lately only most probably ur altenator going dead soon.

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Happens since long ago. Not only recently. Now is fine that I don't have the subs running.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
What car? Small batteries tend to do that with big amps and woofers.

Even a simple swap from NS60 to NS70 will make a difference.

csl

1,000 RPM
Aug 22, 2005
Malysia
Borsch S5 70amp battery + a 2k micro farad capacitor will help out a lot on the dimming issue. The dimming cause by the sudden surge. If the battery went flat after some times of bombarding the ICE then will be the alternator supply not enough and may need to replace the alternator with a higher output unit or try out a custom make a slightly (3-5%) smaller alternator pulley.

har1th7

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
guys, did some reading, can any acc shop perform the 'big 3' upgrade.... scared to diy....suggestions?

*i'm mechanical,not electrical*

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Can but I thought Evo alternator is smaller capacity compared to Airtrek's which will make it worse.

Jtreker

Jun 5, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
EVO 90amp, Airtrek 100amp alternator if not mistaken. add capacitor bank might helps.
u imagine the fuel pump voltage unstable. means fuel supply might be affect....

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
my newbie solution(not neccessarily on airtrek):

1)capacitor bank
2)bigger battery
3)since someone above mentioned trek already equipped with 100A alternator...perhap the only upgrade would be the 120A alternator....

but on most occasion adding capacitor bank* already sufficient to solve this matter.... (more directly install the capacitor bank on the amp. that drive the woofer)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

:regular_smile: hai geng..
i got quest to ask for ur guys..when i park my car turun bukit..tiba2 i c
a petrol comming out under my car..like air kencing..hehehehe..but when i
park staright petrol is ok..no oil comes out..is it my tank "bocor"?or
others..?any expert..pleasee?1 mores the tank was full..
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience