Kazakhstan
www.christopherteh.com

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Yeah. So what's new?

Good practise to never reveal your real information anywhere and if you have to reveal CC info, monitor your statement frequently lor.

cbsteh

Known Member
Oct 26, 2010
Kazakhstan
www.christopherteh.com
Yeah. So what's new?

Good practise to never reveal your real information anywhere and if you have to reveal CC info, monitor your statement frequently lor.
Don't be so quick to dismiss about this article. It is interesting not because it proves information theft occurs but it reveals to some degree the involvement and inner workings of a telemarketing firm (identity not revealed unfortunately). It also shows banks M-, R-, and C- (presumably, Maybank, RHB, and CIMB?) leak their customers data (most probably illegally by their staff). It also reveals our data are only worth RM1 or RM1.50 each -- I thought it would be much higher. The story tells of a situation where 200 customers data were sold for presumably only RM200 to 300 only -- I always thought it went to the thousands considering the worth of the customer data.

Yes, we should not reveal our personal data over the phone or to anyone, but I know for a fact that there are still people (not few) who either willingly or inadvertently reveal their personal info such as IC, credit card numbers, and home addresses over the phone. How do I know? I know because people tell me in their comments in my blog.

The article also talks about how telemarketers are pressured to get the customers to reveal their security code. The article also said some people aren't aware that 3 digits is their security code. The article also says telemarketers shelf life is often 6-8 months only because of the huge pressure to get sales (sometimes only 1-2 per month which is equivalent to a commission of RM100-200 only).

Malaysia's Data Protection Act is already enforced but it is difficult to enforce information theft. Singapore recently developed the "Do Not Call" for people who don't want telemarketers to call them, but it wouldn't stop scammers or people pretending to be telemarketers to harass or scam people.

So, while all these is old information to you, to me it is new, and I suspect if one read the article more properly, some of the information is at least interesting and new.

---------- Post added at 09:52 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:22 PM ----------

Another case of our information being shared with our forced consent.

I wonder if anyone also received a letter from Astro this year stating that "Privacy Notice on the Data Protection Act that clearly states (amongst others) I may at any time hereafter make written inquiries and, upon payment of a prescribed fee, request, in writing, for access to, or correction of, your Personal Data or limit the processing of your Personal Data by submitting such request to the Personal Data Protection Officer of Measat Broadcast Network Systems Sdn Bhd via registered post or email."

In other words, we need to write to Astro specifically that we do not want our personal data to be shared to third parties. So duly, I wrote to Astro that I DO NOT want my personal data to be sold or shared, and I sent it by registered mail. This is their reply:

"Please note that you will not be able to limit the usage of the personal data for the above purposes (as defined in the Privacy Notice). If we are unable to use your personal data as provided by you, then we regret to inform you that we will not be able to provide our services to you."

In other words, this statement contradicts their earlier letter!

I am not the only one, as reported here:

https://www.facebook.com/Astro/posts/10151496556519627

https://www.facebook.com/Astro/posts/10151425712934627

driftkingII

2,000 RPM
Mar 2, 2005
Bandar Utama
Visit site
I want to share a true story n experience..

The GOV does sell our information !!!

Dont believe me?

Let me recall back, 2005 when I was waiting for my UPU results..

UPU is a form to apply for government universities and colleges

I remembered i received many calls and letters from privates institutions (many of the same institutions) about furthering my studies instead i waited for my UPU.

Somehow some of my frens were smarter and curious where this people got our info? maybe from roadshows in school?

so they manage to ask n the private institutions n guess what they answered "We got your information that ur UPU has failed, we know you are looking to further your studies,"

Anyway when i was in IPT, even our lecturers said "ur information is sold!"

n years to come, they have gotten worst... even u do not fail ur UPU they all call n bugged u...

even now motorshows i do not put my information already bcoz i dunno which bastard sold my info to some temple asking me to join them in helping me with no. ekor... (WTF?! I dont play no. ekor!!)

talking about security code, i remembered a prick used it on my CreditCard to buy some shit at 1am.. thanked god.. i called my bank to cancel transaction n told them to investigate.. somehow no news so i suspected the bank is involved. Why? i even use this one credit card also I have an ANTI RFID wallet.

talking about banks, u got to ask BNM (Bank Negara Malaysia) they are the ones having all ur information even on handling ur loans or other bank statements

cbsteh

Known Member
Oct 26, 2010
Kazakhstan
www.christopherteh.com
I want to share a true story n experience..

The GOV does sell our information !!!

Dont believe me?

Let me recall back, 2005 when I was waiting for my UPU results..

UPU is a form to apply for government universities and colleges

I remembered i received many calls and letters from privates institutions (many of the same institutions) about furthering my studies instead i waited for my UPU.

Somehow some of my frens were smarter and curious where this people got our info? maybe from roadshows in school?

so they manage to ask n the private institutions n guess what they answered "We got your information that ur UPU has failed, we know you are looking to further your studies,"

Anyway when i was in IPT, even our lecturers said "ur information is sold!"

n years to come, they have gotten worst... even u do not fail ur UPU they all call n bugged u...

even now motorshows i do not put my information already bcoz i dunno which bastard sold my info to some temple asking me to join them in helping me with no. ekor... (WTF?! I dont play no. ekor!!)

talking about security code, i remembered a prick used it on my CreditCard to buy some shit at 1am.. thanked god.. i called my bank to cancel transaction n told them to investigate.. somehow no news so i suspected the bank is involved. Why? i even use this one credit card also I have an ANTI RFID wallet.

talking about banks, u got to ask BNM (Bank Negara Malaysia) they are the ones having all ur information even on handling ur loans or other bank statements
Yah, me too. I either don't give my private info or I fake them when I fill in "survey" forms. Anti RFID wallet? Where did you get yours?

driftkingII

2,000 RPM
Mar 2, 2005
Bandar Utama
Visit site
Yah, me too. I either don't give my private info or I fake them when I fill in "survey" forms. Anti RFID wallet? Where did you get yours?
i will try using my enemies profile n see if it works..

ooo yes, i remembered.. got one gov institute u can download all the information n ic info wanted.

ANTI RFID wallet?

u want the nicer MORE GILA MAHAL one or the cheap n very fast sold out one which some people are selling for more like the nicer Anti RFID waller

devious17

Nov 18, 2003
Kay Ell
Malaysia has not enforced data privacy law hence this is not yet a felony unfortunately.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

It’s a dirty rotten job but somebody has to do it, and at the end of the day, the unlucky souls tasked with flogging Maranello’s latest track-assassin, the Ferrari 458 Challenge, around the circuit of Valencia rubbed it in our faces that it’s awesomeness with a dash of fairy dust.

Well alright, so they didn’t rub our faces in it. But for all...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience