Air temperature sensor

mgbk

Known Member
Feb 15, 2009
Hi Sifu-sifu out there. I have a question. Is it bad for my engine to remove the air temperature sensor from the air filter system. My air intake hose has a huge hole so i replaced it with a metal air ram which does not have a hole for the air temperature sensor. So i removed it. Will it be bad for my engine or its another unimportant component. Please help.

Marsboy

Known Member
Sep 6, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hi Bro, I guess u r referring IAT(Intake Air Temparature) sensor.... check out ...
http://www.newtonnet.co.uk/coupe/service/mechanical.htm

My was like coughing a week back... so when my mec plug in the test gear n found tat thr were error on IAT sensor... even he keep trying to delete it, the error keep pop up...
the previous owner has mod the original Air intake to HKS "mushroom" head...

my mec believe it might be the IAT sensor.... another mec @ sunway then said it could be the sensor dirty... so he help me wash it then its ok till today...

I yet to change the sensor... but I recommend not to remove it by my mec... other than that there is also another sensor which control the air/fuel mixer.... which according to Ken might be one of the problem my car coughing...

so bro, before u decide to remove or maintain... do check out n more research on it...

;-)

mgbk

Known Member
Feb 15, 2009
Hhmm. thanks for the advice but i removed it a few days back and it is still running fine. Tonight i even speed with the car and its still fine. I am just afraid the problem comes in the future. The air ram i bought doesnt have the hole for the sensor. So if i want to fit on in, i need to fabricate the ram. But i was thinking, what would they use the Air temp reading for anyway? To regulate the engine? Sorry i ask a lot of question. Was just curious. lol

---------- Post added at 02:45 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:37 AM ----------

Oh i just did some research, IAT is just to calculate air density. If air is too hot then need to reduce fuel. If IAT is working, fuel will become rich, loss in power and high fuel consumption. But my car's power feels the same tonight. Hhmmm.. weird.

Marsboy

Known Member
Sep 6, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Same goes with my car... the test gear show it is having some error.

Test it in the afternoon and it shows steady.... 20 C all the way....

so i guess... its having problem... the car was like ok for abt a week...

then yesterday it coughing again... like engine going to off....

I am not sure though... but IAT is part of the air/fuel mixer regulator....

whr when air is hot fuel less; air is cold fuel more.... it actually save fuel....

I pump full tank can only go ard 500km/mix driving....(Manual)

when compared with others (Auto) some get more km then me...

Anyone out thr has face the same problem b4?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi sifus, I am planning to install a HID kit by myself. I am planning to install it on the Suzuki Swift. My question is, where do installers normally mount the ballasts? On the fenders? Or do they mount it on other places? I was also wondering if there is any need for drilling so that the wires can go through?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience