Air Intake System

jd5

Known Member
Mar 9, 2010
N/A
Hi Guys,

I intend to upgrade my car's intake system. I'm on a budget, so CC's like GruppeM, Mugen are all out. An open pod is what I am looking at now.

If you guys could share with what you have, I'd be grateful. I wanna know:-

a) the power gains
b) installation (where to get it done, price, etc)
c) issues, if any (loss in low end torque, fc, etc)
d) the noise it makes :rock:

Thank you guys!

basikal_pancit

500 RPM
Apr 7, 2005
Selangor
i once use open pod for my k20a...
vtec kicking in sound - louder than using airbox
driving during hot - can feel a bit lembab
Driving at night - feels good
I dunno about how much power gain, but can feel a bit different lah... especially during vtec kick in

So, if can get a heatshield , better!
A cold air intake will help a lot :)

But now using back airbox :)

Price? depend on which filter u going for ..
Blizt - make the loudest sound - if u want to hear the vtec
K&N - looks cool
Apexi - claimed by many as the best filter ( i would 80% agree with this)
others - not sure, haven;t try personally

GTI4740

Known Member
Dec 3, 2003
Visit site
I am not sure what's the gain is like just by changing the air filter. But I did dyno my car before and after :

1. Stock exhaust with catalytic converter and stock air filter -

Max Power - 177.13 WHP
Max Torque - 17.98 Kg-m

2. 5zigen 304 replica aka cap ayam bought from JFA, 2.5" piping no centre box, de-cat, custom air ram with 6" Blitz air filter

Max Power - 204.29 WHP
Max Torque - 19.89 Kg-m

total cost : RM1540

Not necessarily if you using chicken brand you cannot get good hp gain. The sound of the air filter is like whish sound.. metallic sound.. Love the sound

jd5

Known Member
Mar 9, 2010
N/A
Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies.

GTI4740 - I'm planning to go with open pod with either APEXI PI or KNN. Was advised to do the installation at JFA.

How is their workmankship like? Price quotation for hose/piping? Also, any issues with sensors, etc?

GTI4740

Known Member
Dec 3, 2003
Visit site
Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies.

GTI4740 - I'm planning to go with open pod with either APEXI PI or KNN. Was advised to do the installation at JFA.

How is their workmankship like? Price quotation for hose/piping? Also, any issues with sensors, etc?
JD5, the workship is okay.. Typical JFA style.. not too bad not too good..price qutaed is for everything including the air filter. So far I had no issue with the sensors.. The only problem was JFA got many cars so you may have to spend like whole day there..

Last edited:

JINEIL2EN

Over 10,000 RPM!
Sep 6, 2004
Island Of Pearl
team99ers.2.forumer.com
i would reco Jun if u ready to huge mod ur engine(bay)....:proud:

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

jd5

Known Member
Mar 9, 2010
N/A
No heavy mods bro, just intake for the time being.

Will drop by JFA over weekend and find out more. Thanks guys.

GTI4740

Known Member
Dec 3, 2003
Visit site
No heavy mods bro, just intake for the time being.

Will drop by JFA over weekend and find out more. Thanks guys.
JD5 what time you going to Sunway. I will be there somwhere around lunch to do some stuff.. Hopefully bump into you.. Please honk if you see 4747 number plate .. That's me..:biggrin:

yaw90

Known Member
Jul 7, 2009
pm me if u interested with the mugen airbox.. i got 1 for sale..

jd5

Known Member
Mar 9, 2010
N/A
Bro, I was at JFA in the afternoon. Dont remember see'ing a 4747 but saw 2 DC5 (one with mugen bodykit) but the owners were not there.

Was there for a short while only. Had a chat with the lady at the counter (a bit blur blur) and after getting some quotation, I was off.

GTI4740

Known Member
Dec 3, 2003
Visit site
Bro, I was at JFA in the afternoon. Dont remember see'ing a 4747 but saw 2 DC5 (one with mugen bodykit) but the owners were not there.

Was there for a short while only. Had a chat with the lady at the counter (a bit blur blur) and after getting some quotation, I was off.
Sorry bro, I did not go to Sunway. due to too many cars. I went to Sungai Buloh instead to install my shocks. Did you managed to do your intake there?

jd5

Known Member
Mar 9, 2010
N/A
Nope. There were too many cars and they told me to come back on weekdays. I'm never free on weekdays. Sigh.

Actually, I was at Sunway 'fixing' my suspension too. Mounting on shocks pecah, so had it replaced.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I'm planning to change my muffler and/or the extractor. The problem is i'm new in this area and can anyone tell me what to look for when buying. For the muffler what price should I expect. Is the cap ayam one cost around 100-250 any good? Or should I go for branded one. And the extractor... which one is good for auto car... 4-2-1 or 4-1? Budget around rm500 if possible for both.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience