AE111 blacktop absorbers & local SEG absorbers

FGT

500 RPM
May 19, 2007
Hey guys,

I just have a quick question -- are the AE111 blacktop shock absorbers with its springs/coils exactly the same as those in local AE111? I'm asking because my rear absorbers together with the top mounts are due for replacement and I'm thinking of trying out halfcut sets.

My concerns are:
1. Difference in ride height. As I want to replace rear ones only, I'm worried the car would be lower at the rear. Slightly higher would be OK though :P
2. Difference in stiffness. Are there any?
3. Any other things that I might not know of as they look 100% plug and play to me.

Terima kasih!

chinozie

Very Young Member... :D
Jul 5, 2004
Damansara
4age20v.blogsome.com
Hi can fit...

but if you're getting it from half cuts...
don't expect much...it's a second hand condition...depends on your luck too...

mh wong

500 RPM
Feb 14, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
i spent more than 10k only for suspension, WHY ?

bcoz i not enough bucjet previously, nnnn want to save money for other parts. try this n that. modified, customade, pump air type, u name it, at last bought new bc adjustable.

so, toyota enthusiast, pls dun waste ur hardearn money. just my thought n xperience.

---------- Post added at 11:15 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:11 PM ----------

" biar sekali sakit, asalkan tidak diper-bodohkan selalu ". 2nd-hand its still a 2nd-hand, no warranty n guaranty

levin818

1,000 RPM
Nov 29, 2003
Shah Alam
Visit site
Now Taiwan made adjustable is good in quality but at affordable price. Below 3k can get full set, with 1 year warranty some more.

---------- Post added 11-09-2013 at 12:00 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was 11-08-2013 at 11:58 PM ----------

To FGT:
1) lower ride height
2) Stiffer. Levin AE101/111 stock spring rate is 1.9kg/mm. Local AE111 will be at lower spring rate.
3) 100% PnP

FGT

500 RPM
May 19, 2007
Hi can fit...

but if you're getting it from half cuts...
don't expect much...it's a second hand condition...depends on your luck too...
yup, i'm aware of the risks.

i spent more than 10k only for suspension, WHY ?

bcoz i not enough bucjet previously, nnnn want to save money for other parts. try this n that. modified, customade, pump air type, u name it, at last bought new bc adjustable.

so, toyota enthusiast, pls dun waste ur hardearn money. just my thought n xperience.

---------- Post added at 11:15 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:11 PM ----------

" biar sekali sakit, asalkan tidak diper-bodohkan selalu ". 2nd-hand its still a 2nd-hand, no warranty n guaranty
I really get your point but spending 10k on suspension?? I'm WAY below your league already bro lol

I was comparing the price for these with originals where a set of rear absorbers with top mounts could easily be around RM550-600 while half cuts is about RM100 for rear only. I'd be happy if they last a year!

Anyway, how are those BC adjustables? How long have you been using them?

Now Taiwan made adjustable is good in quality but at affordable price. Below 3k can get full set, with 1 year warranty some more.

---------- Post added 11-09-2013 at 12:00 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was 11-08-2013 at 11:58 PM ----------

To FGT:
1) lower ride height
2) Stiffer. Levin AE101/111 stock spring rate is 1.9kg/mm. Local AE111 will be at lower spring rate.
3) 100% PnP
I noticed those taiwan ones and they are really tempting :P However, I don't want to end up having to spend more time and money to tune and retune till I get the setting I want. I'm pretty happy with the standard parts in which I know the car would perform the way it should without me worrying about stuff. :)

Having said all of the above, lower ride height is a no-no for me already. Thanks Levin818!

The main goal here is to maintain comfort and to replace them with something that will last 2-3 years.

Last edited:

mh wong

500 RPM
Feb 14, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
The main goal here is to maintain comfort and to replace them with something that will last 2-3 years.[/QUOTE]

ok, like that, easy lol, can ask titan (pandan mewah) or prs (serdang) customade for u, can last long n can do it to ur specified requirement. prs is cheaper compare titan. just share my 2 cents:wavey:

FGT

500 RPM
May 19, 2007
ok, like that, easy lol, can ask titan (pandan mewah) or prs (serdang) customade for u, can last long n can do it to ur specified requirement. prs is cheaper compare titan. just share my 2 cents:wavey:
I sense poison! LOL!

Trying to stick to standard parts here. But if I were to go adjustables, it would be Titan without questions! :)

mh wong

500 RPM
Feb 14, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
I sense poison! LOL!

Trying to stick to standard parts here. But if I were to go adjustables, it would be Titan without questions! :)
i means can custom / redo ur original absorber, n use aftermarket lower spring (Those like original one, eg. TRD, RSR). so, u can ask them to set ur require height.

just tested my Bc last saturday nite up genting, for me, its really stable n serve my wants.

KenDiriwan

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2006
kendiriwan.multiply.com
Just get oem set if you don't have sports demand on it. But in the end that depends on how you define comfortable, unfortunately for sorry butt doesn't not prefer stock shocks and spring, all the soft and jiggly wavy shakes disturbs me. Up to front 6kg, rear 3kg still very comfort i would say. And avoid pillow ball if you just have a casual ride.

FGT

500 RPM
May 19, 2007
Just get oem set if you don't have sports demand on it. But in the end that depends on how you define comfortable, unfortunately for sorry butt doesn't not prefer stock shocks and spring, all the soft and jiggly wavy shakes disturbs me. Up to front 6kg, rear 3kg still very comfort i would say. And avoid pillow ball if you just have a casual ride.
Yep, OEM is the intention. :)

Just wondering, what difference does a pillow ball make to have a non-casual/casual ride?

haha, my fr 10k, rear 8k, really good while cornering. dun feel very stiff
:smokin::adore::bawling:

KenDiriwan

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2006
kendiriwan.multiply.com
Oem rubber mount will filter some of the noise from getting into cockpit.

While pillow ball will not so noisier, but this you also get better steering feedback transferred from terrain your wheels run on. Also easier camber setting provided with labels on the pillow plate.

Attached my unit for reference.

Attachments

FGT

500 RPM
May 19, 2007
Erm soo I got myself a set of used adjustables. It was a good bargain and I got tempted after all the talk on OEM. Bwahahahaha

I have a question: The height of the coil is slightly longer (not higher but more travel i suppose) on one side of both front and rear. It's 5mm based on my good eye. Is the longer one for the driver's side? Logically thinking to compensate weight of the driver but I might be wrong. I am new to adjustables.

Hope you guys can help shed some light.

Thanks!

Acoustic

1,000 RPM
Nov 24, 2003
Hong Kong
www.my-acoustic.com
Congratulations on a satified upgrade :)