Advice on buying Mazda RX-8

K2 stanley

Known Member
Mar 24, 2009
Well if say a rotary has to be rebuild every 30K while normal engines can go up to 100K before needing rebuild than IMHO still rotary is not as reliable as normal engines. If it's designed to only last to 30K then my argument is that the design is not as reliable as normal engine design. The way I see it, in the end the numbers does not lie, as simple as that really, especially since people has the choice to buy which one, so it still can/has to be compared to other available choices. I also never said it's not reliable, slightly different meaning there. :)
But again of course comes back to how ready the prospective owner is to maintain the car. Once you commit to buy it, you also commit to follow the way it should be treated/maintained. Do not expect to maintain a Merc like a Perodua. :)
Brother there are plenty of Rx8 owner clock more than 100k without rebuild. The person who always rebuild the engine is either they dunno how to take care rotary or their sifu does not know how to build it probably. 'KNOW HOW' is very important my fren.
If u r comparing Rx series with others then u shouldn't get it. Once drive it then u will knew the fun of it. I do agree she need more attention compare with some brand.

pwhyze

500 RPM
Mar 1, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Well if say a rotary has to be rebuild every 30K while normal engines can go up to 100K before needing rebuild than IMHO still rotary is not as reliable as normal engines. If it's designed to only last to 30K then my argument is that the design is not as reliable as normal engine design. The way I see it, in the end the numbers does not lie, as simple as that really, especially since people has the choice to buy which one, so it still can/has to be compared to other available choices. I also never said it's not reliable, slightly different meaning there. :)
But again of course comes back to how ready the prospective owner is to maintain the car. Once you commit to buy it, you also commit to follow the way it should be treated/maintained. Do not expect to maintain a Merc like a Perodua. :)
I never implied you said rotaries are not reliable. I was trying to show the real definition of reliability. Like I said, just because it needs more regular maintenance, doesn't mean it's not reliable. If it was designed to last 30k km, at that's how long it actually last, then it has fulfill it's expected operation period. Therefore it's reliable.

Now, if 30k km is woefully short compared to a normal engine's 100k km, then it's more a question of fundamental design deficiency instead of reliability.

I'm not saying that rotaries have shorter life cycle, just that they need more 'care'. So why some people choose rotary? Well, same thing..why Ferrari is sticking to normally aspirated V12 when others are going turbo? You can answer that yourself :driver:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Brother there are plenty of Rx8 owner clock more than 100k without rebuild. The person who always rebuild the engine is either they dunno how to take care rotary or their sifu does not know how to build it probably. 'KNOW HOW' is very important my fren.
If u r comparing Rx series with others then u shouldn't get it. Once drive it then u will knew the fun of it. I do agree she need more attention compare with some brand.
I also never said RX8 engine has to be rebuilt every 100K km, did I? :)
I know that 'know how' is important in maintaining anything. But needing more attention to me means it will not last without that extra attention, hence not as reliable as more conventional engines in my book. :)
And yes I will never get an RX8 or even the legendary RX7 because to me I do feel I have to compare with others when I want to buy cars, and I'd rather go with other more conventional choices despite the good handling of the RX8. Btw I'm not the one who's thinking to buy it in this thread though. :)

---------- Post added at 12:08 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:03 AM ----------

I never implied you said rotaries are not reliable. I was trying to show the real definition of reliability. Like I said, just because it needs more regular maintenance, doesn't mean it's not reliable. If it was designed to last 30k km, at that's how long it actually last, then it has fulfill it's expected operation period. Therefore it's reliable.

Now, if 30k km is woefully short compared to a normal engine's 100k km, then it's more a question of fundamental design deficiency instead of reliability.

I'm not saying that rotaries have shorter life cycle, just that they need more 'care'. So why some people choose rotary? Well, same thing..why Ferrari is sticking to normally aspirated V12 when others are going turbo? You can answer that yourself :driver:
Well like I said above, need more care in my book means it would not last as long without that extra care, hence not as reliable. I guess we just have to agree to disagree then on the definition. :)

Jaymz

Oct 27, 2011
Johor bahru
Hmmm.. Heated conversation..

Stock 13B-REW.. if I blew it.. I will rebuild it again to Bridge Port..
13B-REW Bridge Port.. if I blew it.. I will rebuild it again to 20B N/A..
20B N/A.. if I blew it.. I will rebuid it again to 20B Turbo..
20B Turbo.. if I blew it.. I will rebuild it again to 26B N/A..
26B.. By this time I think 20 years would have passed.. kakaka

Oh yeah.. Im on 13B-REW Street Port..going bridge Port once I blew it.. hmm might take 2-3 years i think..

pwhyze

500 RPM
Mar 1, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Haha..sure. Just keep in mind that reliability is also an engineering disipline (Reliability Engineering), therefore it has a specified engineering definition, in which I have described as best as I could in my earlier post...Cheers.

csl

1,000 RPM
Aug 22, 2005
Malysia
Just don't buy and end of story. Rotary is not for everyone. Buy a vios instead. And please do not ever mention the RM2k+ regular servicing cost for GTR R35 and the RM200k deposit for sending a Lambo to its official serbis center when servicing mileage due.

What reliability or issues all boiled down into money. Pay money got honey and pay peanut got monkey. If can't afford the RM20+k worth of lambo clutch, buy a RX8. If can't afford the RM6xx worth of good 18" tires for rx8, get a Vios. If Vios brake pad is too expensive, get a Myvi. If myvi engine oil is not budget friendly to you, just buy a honda EX5. If the EX5 downpayment is too much to be believe is true, then slap yourself 2 times and wake your ass up and work harder in stead of keep on dreaming for something that is far from your reach. Of cause, if slippers are too expensive to wear for traveling, then sell off all your assets including underwear and go live in jungle. Never suicide cause you can still buy a sport car and have fun for 2-3 months by selling off your kidney for downpayment and wait for few months until the bank send tow truck to your house.

Nowadays plenty of youngsters rushing to buy car when have enough downpayment. Lower head overrules upper head. If you keep your money for another 10 years, probably you can own it without suffering so much.

K2 stanley

Known Member
Mar 24, 2009
That's our men CSL, last time my brother also get him cucuk b4. But is worth it. Hahaha

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Just don't buy and end of story. Rotary is not for everyone. Buy a vios instead. And please do not ever mention the RM2k+ regular servicing cost for GTR R35 and the RM200k deposit for sending a Lambo to its official serbis center when servicing mileage due.

What reliability or issues all boiled down into money. Pay money got honey and pay peanut got monkey. If can't afford the RM20+k worth of lambo clutch, buy a RX8. If can't afford the RM6xx worth of good 18" tires for rx8, get a Vios. If Vios brake pad is too expensive, get a Myvi. If myvi engine oil is not budget friendly to you, just buy a honda EX5. If the EX5 downpayment is too much to be believe is true, then slap yourself 2 times and wake your ass up and work harder in stead of keep on dreaming for something that is far from your reach. Of cause, if slippers are too expensive to wear for traveling, then sell off all your assets including underwear and go live in jungle. Never suicide cause you can still buy a sport car and have fun for 2-3 months by selling off your kidney for downpayment and wait for few months until the bank send tow truck to your house.

Nowadays plenty of youngsters rushing to buy car when have enough downpayment. Lower head overrules upper head. If you keep your money for another 10 years, probably you can own it without suffering so much.
Well said. Could not agree more, especially on the last paragraph.

---------- Post added at 09:27 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:24 PM ----------

Hmmm.. Heated conversation..

Naah, nothing heated here, just a healthy discussion among different views. I'm sure everyone is as calm and cool as ice! :)

csl

1,000 RPM
Aug 22, 2005
Malysia
I should just get a classic beetle at the beginning in stead of a sport car. a year before buying sport cars, I still drove wira and able to open 8-9 fixed deposits saving a year. After bought the car, 1st month I wasted +-RM30k. And from that time till now, about 5 years +, although income is raising, but I still as broke as 1st time come out to work. Just don't know where all the money gone. I'm fcked so hope not to happen to others too.

K2 stanley

Known Member
Mar 24, 2009
I should just get a classic beetle at the beginning in stead of a sport car. a year before buying sport cars, I still drove wira and able to open 8-9 fixed deposits saving a year. After bought the car, 1st month I wasted +-RM30k. And from that time till now, about 5 years +, although income is raising, but I still as broke as 1st time come out to work. Just don't know where all the money gone. I'm fcked so hope not to happen to others too.
Brother CSL u may broke is not bcoz u driving a car, u also research the car mayb is due to ur job. But bcoz of this passion then others learned a lot from u. :adore::adore::adore:

csl

1,000 RPM
Aug 22, 2005
Malysia
When you have a car, you will be hit by many hidden things that make you lose money. When you have a nice car, you got more hit. Example, friends asking for TT or joining car club gathering. Besides these, those fragrance for car, car wash and many little things. When combine together, it will become something. If modification or aftermarket parts involved, then will be horrible. And sports car cost few times more than normal cars.

I did do R&D on my car. Reason is no money to buy straight off the shelf and don't like something that to be failed at certain time.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I'm currently facing problem with my E3 engine whereby the rev stuck at 5k rpm.

I checked mostly all compartment which is related to spark and fuel.
*fuel pump (working)
*spark plug (working)
*power unit (working)
*airflow sensor (working)
*plug cable and connector (working)
*ecu (working)
*airflow piping and necessary piping (checked and all seems to be well attached)
*intercooler piping (will check today)

Above mentioned stuff, i replace with a exact same working unit which is from other...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience