Advanced Cam Enquiries.

larkowen

Sep 3, 2006
There's one mechanic recommend me to buy an advanced cam spoket(wondering if correct spelling or not) which act as an "add-on" device at the timing belt device.

Not sure how it works but he claimed it will improve car's speed,performance and fuel comsuption as well.He charge me for RM380 for it.

Anyway,anyone come across such term or not and what actually it does?

Please help :X-:

jinkl

4,000 RPM
May 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
no such thing as add performance reduce consumption, let us know the name of the device. i tink its a con job

larkowen

Sep 3, 2006
He didn't say anything about pulley but he keep mentioning something to do with timing belt... yikes...

g88

3,000 RPM
Jan 28, 2004
advanced cam spoket ?? Adjustable pulley mostly....

larkowen

Sep 3, 2006
Thanks all for the feedback..should be cam pulley since he did tell me that something more light.... wondering why he used that term to describe it..

rollakid

4,000 RPM
Nov 9, 2004
Kuching Sarawak
Visit site
larkowen said:
performance and fuel comsuption
its performance OR fuel consumption.

lol.. you can only choose one lol. thats why new cars all have variable cam phasing tech, so can have both, while adjustable one is fixed dead.

Boink Boink

Known Member
Nov 18, 2003
Hmmm maybe got fuel improvement ma....

I mean if you advance the intake up to maybe 8 degrees its probably possible to get a reduction in fuel consumption, at maybe....6,000rpm? Only at 6,000rpm.

kakakakakaka.:shades_smile:

Sorry ah, dont flame me. But its amazing how things are taken out of context when talking to mechanics.

nitrus

2,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2005
I think the mech meant Lightened Crank Pulley? or maybe the mech said "Lightened undercam pulley" LOL.

That was what i was told from this PROTON MECH who tried to sell me the same thing. RM380 also ..

larkowen, the offered was made by which mech? a mech at proton?

Boink Boink

Known Member
Nov 18, 2003
Yo Bro.

Ummm just flt that I should point you in the right direction. If you can, go get the book by Haynes, Alexander G Bell, Modern Engine Tuning. Hes got 2 others books as well. But I think the first, Modern Engine Tuning will be a good bet.

There is a whole chapter dedicate to why playing around with valve timing, by way of adjustable cam shaft sprockets or in some of the european fords etc, keyway slots, to acheive changes in the torque and HP curves.

In very lay mans terms, intake & exhaust valves can be equalled to how a human breathes. At rest, the breathing and exhaling can be fo rexample; intervals can be spaced apart.

When running in a marathon, well the breathing and exhaling requirements changes drastically.

Same as engines. well kind off. And I was not kidding about the 6,000rpm thing. It prob would get some sort of power increase, and prob save fuel if you clsoe the damned exhaust valve in time.

But there are problems like;
at low revs you get nothing and at low revs pratically all your fueland intake air will be going out your exhaust. Thats also assuming you can even get the damned thing to start.

hope this helps.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Guys and gals,

Any good polish and wax shop in JB to recommend?

I use to know one shop where they offer membership and after you join membership everytime you polish & wax they only charge you for RM38. But that shop close down liao. Got any this kind of shop in JB?

Regards,
Jason LEL
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience