Achilles ATR Sport

mosh

Known Member
Sep 16, 2004
KL
www.autoworld.com.my
tested again a smaller size ATR sport 195/55/R15 ( prev use 195/60/R15 ) in sepang last weekend and quite satisfied with the grip and bite. the tyre really works great in a very hot condition. the setback is i put the pressure wrongly.. too low. i think it will be great if i set it properly. lesser tyre screaming. i think it was around 40 degree hot and unfortunately, my car can't take too much heat. the engine & gearbox respond is really bad, very sluggish. can't make a good timing.. :bawling:

but i do now believe on what it can do during hot conditions. :wink:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
tested again a smaller size ATR sport 195/55/R15 ( prev use 195/60/R15 ) in sepang last weekend and quite satisfied with the grip and bite. the tyre really works great in a very hot condition. the setback is i put the pressure wrongly.. too low. i think it will be great if i set it properly. lesser tyre screaming. i think it was around 40 degree hot and unfortunately, my car can't take too much heat. the engine & gearbox respond is really bad, very sluggish. can't make a good timing.. :bawling:

but i do now believe on what it can do during hot conditions. :wink:
Moshie bro., bro. nf mentioned he reduce the air pressure got better grip, or your way too low?

BFX73

Known Member
Oct 25, 2006
seems like this tyre is a good budget tyre...

any other comment regarding this tyre?

ColdPlay

Known Member
Jun 16, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
consider ok la in wet...if u drive between 80-90 and never breach the 100 mark.....
I have tested the Achilles ATR Sports over 130km/h in wet. Minimal aquaplaning but I could feel the grip lessened. Braking distant in wet is much further. For its price, I couldn't complaint. Tyre is adequate for leisure / normal driving style. Better than the more expensive Silverstone's offering. Just a tad noisy.

Since tyres are the only form of contact between the car and surface, I would recommend aggressive driver to look for other option like Direzza, Potenza RE series, S1Evo, S.Drive, Falken Azenis series or GY Asymmetric2. Safety first:driver: .

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
consider ok la in wet...if u drive between 80-90 and never breach the 100 mark.....
Daily use and knowing it's capability is good.....

---------- Post added at 09:01 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:58 AM ----------

I have tested the Achilles ATR Sports over 130km/h in wet. Minimal aquaplaning but I could feel the grip lessened. Braking distant in wet is much further. For its price, I couldn't complaint. Tyre is adequate for leisure / normal driving style. Better than the more expensive Silverstone's offering. Just a tad noisy.

Since tyres are the only form of contact between the car and surface, I would recommend aggressive driver to look for other option like Direzza, Potenza RE series, S1Evo, S.Drive, Falken Azenis series or GY Asymmetric2. Safety first:driver: .
Well said. Tyres can have good aquaplaning resistance, as long as the pattern have adequate large grooves to channel away water from underneath the tyres, however traction is a different ball game. The rubber compound must work well in wet, cold condition for grip. The performance range of tyres mentioned by you have different rubber compound....

BFX73

Known Member
Oct 25, 2006
Not too good in the wet.....
u tried urself? cos from owners review they are saying positively...

i mean what is not good about this tyre in wet? u spunned while doing 50kmh or what?

---------- Post added at 09:56 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:49 AM ----------

been using a.drive r1 and driving it in wet also aquaplan n of cos when its aquaplaning the grip lessened...not sure wat tyre didnt gives that feeling...

on the other hand...a bunch of frens are using it for touge n occasional track days and they all giving positive comments...its just not tat frens with atr outrun frens using more expensive tyre...

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
u tried urself? cos from owners review they are saying positively...

i mean what is not good about this tyre in wet? u spunned while doing 50kmh or what?

---------- Post added at 09:56 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:49 AM ----------

been using a.drive r1 and driving it in wet also aquaplan n of cos when its aquaplaning the grip lessened...not sure wat tyre didnt gives that feeling...

on the other hand...a bunch of frens are using it for touge n occasional track days and they all giving positive comments...its just not tat frens with atr outrun frens using more expensive tyre...
Nope have not tried the ATR, but feedback from members.
Whether they outrun more expensive tyres depends on the suspension and skill of the drivers too. However aquaplane resistant and wet traction is totally different.
What size tyres are you looking at?

BFX73

Known Member
Oct 25, 2006
Nope have not tried the ATR, but feedback from members.
Whether they outrun more expensive tyres depends on the suspension and skill of the drivers too. However aquaplane resistant and wet traction is totally different.
What size tyres are you looking at?
owh ok but most members here says ok(not good)

in regrads of it outruns more expensive tyre so can i safely when it in equal hands n setup atr will be in the downside?

about aquaplan resistant + wet traction...care to elaborate further?

what i understand is eventho the aquaplaning is about the same each tyre has different wet traction...

i am monitoring closely about this atr at the moment cos thinking to change my rubber to cheaper + good tyre..

looking for 195/55/15 or 205/45/16

neohadri

Known Member
Jul 5, 2008
i am contemplating on ATR sport too,
currently on S1 evo, since S1 evo2 didn't come in 16" anymore, had to find alternative which offer similar performance without hefty price tag:bawling:

did some google on maxxis MaZ1 and GT Radial HPX too since they are in same category as ATR, and i found this

2012 Autobild 50 Tyre Braking Test | the online tyre guide

the ATR didn't fare too well on dry & wet braking test, but i read many people praise this tyre and cannot find any bad reveiw even if i type ATR sport bad tyre on google

mosh

Known Member
Sep 16, 2004
KL
www.autoworld.com.my
i buy the tyre as i personally feel good about it .. i know it weakness on wet, i experience it 1st hand. spun out few time on track during rain.

but i never assume it was a superior performance tyre and never assume it as par of those high performing michelin, bridgestone, gy and such. just currently good bang for the buck. :smile:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys, Recently i buy a new car and Wash & Wax myself... but first time (Beginner) wash car and using sponge... cause my car have a lots "swirl"(is it call light scratch?)... only polish can fix this? But new car wooo.... should i polish? I am so sad when i saw that swirl...

I am using meguiars product now (after saw the swirl)... but what wax best for new car? Polish Wax is a Wax or Polish (current using...)?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience