A33 VQ20DE Oil Cooler Leak

12savefuel

Known Member
Dec 10, 2008
I had an oil leak on my A33 VQ20DE. So when I need to change my engine oil I checked where the leak was from. So I found that the leak was coming from behind the oil filter and its a very obvious leak where you can actually see the oil dripping out. It drips out when the engine is cold and when it starts to warm up the leak reduces or stops. So every morning you can see the oil patch on the floor.

This is where the o-ring is situated. Its item no.6

Since it was the weekend I and Tan Chong is closed I decided to check and see found that the oring is the same size as Proton Waja oil filter o-ring. I actually use the Proton oil filter for both my VQ30DE & VQ20DE as its much cheaper easy to get and cheap. But I buy the OE one.

You notice that the OE Proton oil filter has UMW Gas stamped on it. Its a flat based oring with a a semi circular hump. It fits perfectly as a replacement. Only concern is how long it'll last. Best solution is to get a Viton O-ring or the original.

But you'll never know if you never try. So I'll update when it starts to leak again.

This seems to be a very common problem for all VQ engines, this is a good video showing the speed or amount of the leak. Vid of leak starts at 5:18 in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAig9CCd_a8

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi! just want to let all New model camry owner know last two month my friend camry got stolen in the house but very luckly the car find back in good condition. But when found back the car at the back bonet at driver side got found 1 hold about half inch near tail lamp. Camy owner please check your bonet i will upload a picture. At the place got 1 item connet with 3 wire please remove the item to other place because the item is a alarm component when it spoilt alarm will not siren just flash...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience