A33 Engine Upgrade

twinhope88

Known Member
Jan 6, 2006
Hi Weikee,

VQ30DE with full tank of 63-litre can run for 450KM = 0.25/km at current rm1.8/litre.
and on highway around 720km = 0.16/km.

mine vq20de pumped in 50-litre (RM90) only can run for 440km.
Even on highway, it will go for 470km max.

Your car is not high fuel consumption and powerful.
the only thing is the yearly roadtax.

By the way, is there any bro here upgrade their vq20de to supercharge?
What is the component and cost require?

Ultimate Cefiro

500 RPM
Dec 7, 2006
VQ30DET - FR, from Y33 Cedric, Gloria or Cima. I have 1 unit of the engine but hard to convert into our A32, many things have to be solve, i.e. FR to FF, gearbox etc.... since it is FR layout, problems like timing chain position, engine space and so on..... I'd seen once in US website for an A32 swapped to VQ30DET from a Cedric, n the result, very messy engine bay!! too stuffed!!

VQ30DETT - out of our dreams, this is the special engine used in JGTC Skyline GT-R34 in 500GT in the past... not production version.... u can get from the junk shop who is chopping JGTC cars..... but i dont think they have in Malaysia......

article from wiki:

VQ30DETT

The twin-turbo VQ30DETT is an engine used in Nissan's race cars, primarily in the Super GT (formerly the JGTC). First used on the Skyline GT-R race cars during the 2003 season, this engine subsequently powered the Fairlady Z race cars. Homologation rules allow them to use the VQ30DETT in lieu of the stock VQ35DE. Race output of this engine is estimated at around 480 PS (473 hp/353 kW).

The VQ30DETT was replaced in 2007 by the VK45DE for use in the Super GT Fairlady Z's and latterly in the GT-R.

It is fitted to the following vehicles:

* 2003 Skyline GT-R JGTC race cars
* 2004 Fairlady Z JGTC race cars
* 2005–2006 Fairlady Z Super GT race cars

Last edited:

weikee

500 RPM
Jul 16, 2006
Ultimate Cefiro, how's life. Long time no hear from you.

What is the plan for the Y33? put it into an old junk or salvage the parts :D into the fatty. I seen some website selling the 1/2 turbo for the A32, but only with one turbo on the front exhaust manifold, and leave the rear exhaust manifold un-turbo. maybe you can use this route, but they will be lots of exhaust balancing you need to do for this type of configuration.

http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/the-cefiro-club-malaysia/288259-help-e-manage-a32-vq20.html

twinhope88, the highway FC is lower because the final drive ratio for the 3L g.box is very good. At 135km, my RPM is around 3000rpm +- 50, for the 2L, it will be around 110km. Running at legal speed "110km" is somewhere around 2500 rpm

Ultimate Cefiro

500 RPM
Dec 7, 2006
even the VQ30DET is using this config, it is a single turbo V6..... but it is well balanced as stock lar of coz.... thats y.... also, the compression is low and the piston is harder, make it more durable than bolt-on turbo.... dats y i prefer dat.... but now im sakeet keparah for the piston, not fit our 3.0L block as the bore and stroke not ngam...... hmmmmm

me?? sfsg lor...... my car in workshop modding air suspension.... im now more in VIP than performance...... i wanna mod turbo to have fun only not for racing keke...... here is some of my car's info....

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2510924

Last edited:

weikee

500 RPM
Jul 16, 2006
even the VQ30DET is using this config, it is a single turbo V6..... but it is well balanced as stock lar of coz.... thats y.... also, the compression is low and the piston is harder, make it more durable than bolt-on turbo.... dats y i prefer dat.... but now im sakeet keparah for the piston, not fit our 3.0L block as the bore and stroke not ngam...... hmmmmm

me?? sfsg lor...... my car in workshop modding air suspension.... im now more in VIP than performance...... i wanna mod turbo to have fun only not for racing keke...... here is some of my car's info....

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2510924
Like your rims :), but you need to be careful, make sure the tires don't go "botak", my mechanic recently fix 2 fatty, a32 and a33, both use 19" rims and the steering rack break. I heard is very common to car fit with big rims especially for thos don't change the tires when is botak.

---------- Post added at 04:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 PM ----------

Ultimate-Cefiro,

The Configuration of the RWD VQ30det and the custom for FWD DET is slightly difference. If you see the configuration of the rwd Exhaust manifold, it will link all the 6 exhaust into one turbo one sample image

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b37/siluty/mani003.jpg

Ultimate Cefiro

500 RPM
Dec 7, 2006
u r right, but it is too stuffy if compare to the VQ30DE in our cefiro compartment... i'd forgotten the website I'd seen before as to show the VQ30DET being fitted into the A32 in US website, but really messy.... the good is, it gives you instant power of 260bhp!! which can souped many cars on the road jor.... muahahaha, and dont worry abt the engine durability if you keep it stock.....

bro, dun worry.... now i EVEN changed to 20" oledi.... the point is, I SELDOM DRIVE THE CAR... now this is my project car as well as weekend car.... im driving other car as daily car jor.... dats y.... thx for your concern....

weikee

500 RPM
Jul 16, 2006
one you reach 260hp, you want more. power is just like money, the more you get the more you want. the turbo will surely increase the torque to a whole new level of feelings :D

when i drove the s13 track car, the torque is superb and the pull factor is dam addictive :) i hope you can make the first a32 with det.

Ultimate Cefiro

500 RPM
Dec 7, 2006
Weikee, many of us VIPers were performance kaki b4, Teck Weng's brother is one of the example. Last time when i acquired my MR2 also the same thing, modded from N/A to turbo, 245hp is alotta fun dat time, then not enuff after sometimes, mod again until 3-400hp, then after sometimes, bored again... I know wut u mean... But recently I just not so interested in performance, Im more in VIP nowadays.

The purpose i want to mod my car to turbo is that when we go for highway cruising, at least got some turbo sound, keke, not so bored. U know VIP car is not suitable for race if u wanna go full VIP as:

1) bodykit - the VIP car is usually modded with full bodykit, especially the bumpers, most of them change the whole bumpers into FRP bumpers.

2) car height- as to achieve Tsuraichi (fitment and stance), the car must be lowered until ur fander nearly kiss the wheel lips. So the car is just like a scrapper.

3) height lifting - in order to make it convenience, most of the VIPers have to change their shocks to air suspension rather than height adjustable shock, imagine if you race with air bag which is full with air, if the air bag burst, ur car will spin to dunno where...

4) Rims and camber setting- most importantly, bigger the rims, the better it is in VIP, also with an incredible chamber, (+ few degrees), how to race neh??

5) transmission - mostly VIP car is in A/T more than M/T to show the elegance feel, dont u agree?? otherwise i'd changed to M/T long time ago (remember last time i asked u abt the M/T??)

thats y it is a totally different concept, u know what i mean right?? ;D

weikee

500 RPM
Jul 16, 2006
Ultimate ceffy,

I totally agree, is a difference ball games now :) but bit of power is also good, maybe 330n-m of torque will be good for the extra weight.. hehe

I will spend money on power, lucky my taste is only inner beauty (power), and not look :)

Ultimate Cefiro

500 RPM
Dec 7, 2006
Ultimate ceffy,

I totally agree, is a difference ball games now :) but bit of power is also good, maybe 330n-m of torque will be good for the extra weight.. hehe

I will spend money on power, lucky my taste is only inner beauty (power), and not look :)
keke, diiferent ppl different taste bro, just like some of them not even interested in car but like house or go on tour....... thats y nothing to do with luckiness.... but frankly, VIP mod cost is not cheaper than modding performance.. .. i.e. to buy the new air suspension full kit also cost RM16k - 20k edi (Japanese/ US Brand).... more expensive than engine conversion.... @o@~~

---------- Post added at 02:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:10 PM ----------

but i do agree with u, i rather pick VQ30DE than VQ25DD for its higher torque, also, with our MEVI system, our VQ30DE with MEVI (217hp) is actually has higher hp than US version (Maxima) which is w/o MEVI (189hp)

from wiki:

1994–1998 Nissan Cefiro (A32), 220 PS (217 hp/162 kW) and 206 ft·lbf (279 N·m)
1995–1999 Nissan QX (A32)
1995–1999 Nissan Maxima (A32), 192 PS (189 hp/141 kW) and 205 ft·lbf (278 N·m)

twinhope88

Known Member
Jan 6, 2006
hi Weikee,

a full tank of 63-liter can run for 720km is marvelous.

My vq20de pumped in 50-liter can only run for 470km max in highway.

it seems 3.0L really more fuel economy + powerful than 2.0L, the bad thing is the expensive roadtax.

I think fitting engine from Z33 and G35 will create a lot of headache as most of the mounting, wiring, etc may be different instead of direct swap.

Anyway, i am wondering if any bro here install a supercharger on their cefiro?

weikee

500 RPM
Jul 16, 2006
Ultimate Cefiro, the local 3L is about 200hp only, the JDM is the one with higher hp and torque and come with LSD g.box :) that is the one in my engine bay now :)

Wow, 20k for the suspension only, dam that is expensive.

twinhope88, don't try to convert rwd 1/2 cut to fwd car especially if you want to use back the wiring. Maybe engine yes, but you will have lots of headache on the g.box and lots of other small small things.

For supercharger think i saw someone was trying to order one from AU or was it NZ. the supercharger kit was develop by some company in US, now is EOL.

Ultimate Cefiro

500 RPM
Dec 7, 2006
twinhope88: yup, i agree with Weikee, very hard to do swapping btw FF and FR since different layout, alotta things also different. But if you want to bolt on turbo or supercharger, firstly our engine is high compression, I had a friend who bolt on turbo for NA cars w/o changing the compression. The result, more powerful than low compression turbo. But the engine wont last too long depends on how frequent you drive the car and the way you step on the pedal. Also, our piston is not as durable as a turbo piston therefore shorter engine life.

Turbo vs Superchrger -- Gd comparison, for me, i will rather choose turbo more than supercharger. Supercharger has a very good response of revving as the supercharger already working since engine idling, which is driven by belt, also reduce air pollution not like turbo which is driven by exhaust gas flow, thats why for now more and more car and also performance workshop i.e. HKS launch a series of supercharger kit for present cars. But the maintenance is a factor, compressor oil also very expensive. If you have to replace the faulty supercharger, it will cost you a bomb as supercharger is usually more expensive than turbine. I.e. the mercedes kompressor for 200K, try to ask the dealer how much is it and you will know, keke. Also, hard to adjust the boost i.e. have to change the pulley to adjust since it is belt driven. Turbo boost can be adjusted by valve system i.e. EVC (Electronic Valve Controller), which provides ease of adjustment. Low maintenance cost as well. Also, the turbine is cheaper and more than supercharger in the market especially in chop shop. Thats why Im going for turbo.

Weikee: above points is just my lima sen, bro, no offense :D

---------- Post added at 05:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 PM ----------

for my ceffy, I had replace my battery to my rear boot, letting more space for the turbine and piping. But as stated, very headache since the piston size between these engines vary eventhough it bear the same series... DET piston is bigger (93mm) than DE (90mm)... and of course the stroke for DET is shorter.....so no choice to swap the piston into DE. also dunno whether the block is fit or not.... headache!! headache!!

---------- Post added at 06:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:47 PM ----------

weikee: i think 190hp for MEVI is on wheel right?? as stated here

http://wiki.maximasdownunder.org/doku.php?id=mevi_swap

weikee

500 RPM
Jul 16, 2006
UC,

i agree with your 5 cents :D, supercharger is more for low to mid power, and easy installation for Fatty a32 :)

As for the JDM, last time i check it was about 210hp, should not be on wheels lah, on wheels with 190 is dam good already for a auto box

imperialrealcs

Known Member
Dec 12, 2005
guys, anyone came across VQ25DD engine?
im planning to fit them into my A33 cefiro coz 3L roadtax is juz overkill for me :(

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi,

Does anyone know the URL for the 'Promote' bodykits? I've searched google, but all of the links point to the 'old' zerotohundred forums...

Thanks,

/joon
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience