A32 gearbox takes forever to engage D

fanatic

May 2, 2009
Does anyone having or had this problem?

Whenever the engine is cold (temperature needle all the way down), eg. morning or after parked long hours, it takes like forever (sometimes up to 5 minutes) to engage D. R is ok, 2nd gear is ok too. Only D wont engage.

But if I warm up the engine (like run the engine for about 5 minutes) before driving, it will engage. I also noticed that whenever the engine temperature needle is up to middle, no problem.

What is the problem?

ctk22

Known Member
Jan 30, 2006
i had the same problem with my previous gearbox in VQ30 too. On cold start, i just engage the gear in 2nd, once running then push back to D.

After my investigation, it was the previous owner (my boss) that had a jammed gearbox due to ATF leaking last time (run until no ATF inside), and after that the problem occurred.

onionbay

Jun 29, 2005
KL
i have exactly the same problem too.. went to nissan, diagnose it. Report was lack of pressure during cold, that is why the g/b wont run at D. it will work at '1' and '2' and 'R'.

The staff advise to change another g/b frm the chopshop. This is a norm for A32 after above a certain age and mantainence mode.

By the way, what's your mileage? I'm at 365,000KM now. mine is 97 model.i am the 2nd owner.

FYI: I've checked A33 G/B. It's not the same as A32. Therefore we can only look for A32 3.0 G/B.

fanatic

May 2, 2009
my mileage is abt 24xk.

can we change something to improve the pressure during cold starts?

g/box expensive leh...

weikee

500 RPM
Jul 16, 2006
if you know a good mech, can ask them buy 2L g.box, take out the final drive, replace with the 3L final drive, and it should work. I have not personally experience this, but this is what was told by my chop shop friend, and i also verify on the service manual, the internal are the same except the final drive.

Or you can go service the g.box, maybe around 3k with few months warranty.

Cefiromaniac

Mar 28, 2006
Kuala Lumpur
overhauling the g/b is gamble my friend did it on his A32 3.0 it lasted for 6 months the sympthoms became worst he had to look for a g/b at chop shop after changing from chop shop now it's fine.

---------- Post added at 12:02 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:55 AM ----------

what's the difference in the A32 G/B from the A33 G/B any idea?
A32 has an option button for power and snow but A33 has power and auto whayts the difference ?

cheers

weikee

500 RPM
Jul 16, 2006
that's why we need to select the reputable shop that can do auto box rebuild, and use all original parts.

The Snow is start at gear 2, and Power is hold the gear longer. not sure of A33, check the service manual.

polaris

Aug 7, 2008
Hi sifus, My A32 3.0 facing the same problem, gb problem & under power worst than 2.0, send to mech for checking then his advice is service the gb which will cost RM1.5k-RM2k, is this price too high? Need some advice .. thanks

fanatic

May 2, 2009
my god, seems A32's gearbox shares a common problem!

and it seems that the only way is to change the gearbox. any idea how much an A32 gearbox would cost at chopshop?

have to take a loan from Ah Long :mad:

weikee

500 RPM
Jul 16, 2006
my friend B14 auto box lasted him 500kkm, and another friend father using A32 clock more than 400kkm, also ok. Key is

- use original Matic-D
- Change auto oil regular (i do it 20kkm)
- check oil leak,
- know how to drive Auto.. don't just use only D. There is a reason why 1,2, and "OD Off" is made.

Cefiromaniac

Mar 28, 2006
Kuala Lumpur
hi weikee,

bro do u shift from D to 1 and 2 i thought doing that u will have wear and tear on gearbox torgue converter and the cluthes may slipp i am just asking bro i do drive hard at times i play with OD on and off.

Appreciatte your update and advice here.................cheers

weikee

500 RPM
Jul 16, 2006
Technically speaking, you can do it, but engine can't take it. I don't do D to 1, that is suicide to the engine, try put 5th gear to 2nd gear in manual. Then again modern Auto box with electronic control sometime overwrite it even the driver force the stick from D to 1.

Going uphill, conventional auto box car owner need to know how to shift gear to have proper torque at the correct rpm, if not you will put too much stress on come gears.

doraemon98

Known Member
Feb 3, 2010
Penang
Technically speaking, you can do it, but engine can't take it. I don't do D to 1, that is suicide to the engine, try put 5th gear to 2nd gear in manual. Then again modern Auto box with electronic control sometime overwrite it even the driver force the stick from D to 1.

Going uphill, conventional auto box car owner need to know how to shift gear to have proper torque at the correct rpm, if not you will put too much stress on come gears.
Normally going up hill and sloping down, i will turn off OD and let it engage to 3rd gear. If 3rd gear unable to do proper engine brake, then i will engage it to 2nd gear, lightly tap on brake to prevent over speed, and avoid brake pad over heated.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

From a necessity, the internet has evolved into one of the most important communications medium of today. And with such importance stands today, Malaysia’s first national automotive maker Proton had announced their collaborative move with one of the most advanced 4G networks in the world, Yes, in producing Malaysia’s first 4G internet cars. This new feature will be as a standard, starting from the upcoming new...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience