A Sad day for rallying.

gary

Known Member
May 9, 2005
subang
Co-driver Park dies in accident

Michael Park, co-driver for Markko Martin, has died after an accident on stage 15 of Wales Rally GB on Sunday.
Park, 39, was killed when Martin's Peugeot 307 crashed heavily into a tree on the passenger's side during the 17-mile Margam stage.

Estonian Martin escaped unhurt. The stage was halted and organisers then decided to cancel the final two stages.

Petter Solberg won the event after Sebastien Loeb declined to retain his world title in such circumstances.

Park, nicknamed 'Beef', was a highly-experienced co-driver who had worked with former champions Richard Burns and Colin McRae.

Married with children, he first began rallying on the world championship circuit in 1994 as Mark Higgins' co-driver.

Park, from Newent in Gloucestershire, teamed up with Martin in 2000 when the Estonian was rallying a privately-entered Toyota.

They stayed together at Subaru and Ford before moving to Peugeot this year. The pair had won five world rallies together.

Peugeot issued a statement confirming that Martin had hit a tree on the right hand side of the car, fatally injuring Park.

Peugeot Automobiles and Peugeot Sport would like to express their feeling of extreme sadness and deep emotion to the family of Michael Park."

The cancellation of the remaining stages and withdrawal of Peugeot's Marcus Gronholm after Park's death would have meant Citroen's Loeb retaining his world title.

But the Frenchman declined to win the title in that manner and deliberately incurred a two minute penalty before heading back to Cardiff for the offical finish.

That left him in third place with Subaru's Solberg declared the winner and Citroen's Francois Duval runner-up.

The rally finished at a sombre Millennium Stadium, where flags flew at half mast and a minute's silence was observed.

darahhitam

2,000 RPM
Oct 4, 2004
KL
www.cardomain.com
Gosh.
Condolences to the Park family.

Any photo of the crash scene?

gary

Known Member
May 9, 2005
subang
darahhitam said:
Gosh.
Condolences to the Park family.

Any photo of the crash scene?
no lah. no photos of the crash or of the car that i know off.

MK84

1,500 RPM
Nov 16, 2003
www.mk84.com
Indeed... first casualty in WRC in 12 years.

You can catch the highlights from rally tonight 11pm AXN.

wild_boost

Known Member
Nov 8, 2004
What a big lost....feel sad to hear that.
Hope they will more focus on safety after this. ..exmple using airbag
in their car if possible...at least can prevent big injuries...

Rgds

whatdamn

1,000 RPM
Sep 29, 2004
Cheras, KL, Mal
since it was a side impact, do you think that they would implement I-beams for the doors? i mean to strengthen it if they haven't done so already. cause i believe that's the major flaw in most cars that are involved with a side impact crash...there's just not enough crumple zone compared with a collision from the front or the back.

anyway, my condolences to the Park family and Team Pugeout.

gary

Known Member
May 9, 2005
subang
whatdamn said:
since it was a side impact, do you think that they would implement I-beams for the doors? i mean to strengthen it if they haven't done so already. cause i believe that's the major flaw in most cars that are involved with a side impact crash...there's just not enough crumple zone compared with a collision from the front or the back.

anyway, my condolences to the Park family and Team Pugeout.
WRC cars like all race cars do not have any reinforcement beams in the doors. they rely on the rollcage for crash safety.

WRC cars have some of the strongest rollcages around and have shown to be able to withstand amazing crashes with hardly any serious injuries to the drivers. But the risk of death from a really serious crash is still very possible.