A/C problem

graham_flag

Known Member
Feb 13, 2009
just filling R12 last week, but seems the mr2 does not cool me off today..
anyone bumped into this kinda situation before?
is it the valve or the gas tank leaking?
any cheap to service or replace?

really a headache, festive season is around the corner:mad:

oblivion

Known Member
Oct 6, 2006
Hi,

It is not cold even if your car is moving? My aircon is cold if it is moving, tried going to various shops and even adding another fan, but not really helping :)

but if your car is moving and still not cold, it could be a many issues. The last time i had this, my compressor died and cause residue blockage in my whole aircon system. Ended up changing the whole aircon set. Also found the cooling coil was leaking.

Good luck with this. :)

just filling R12 last week, but seems the mr2 does not cool me off today..
anyone bumped into this kinda situation before?
is it the valve or the gas tank leaking?
any cheap to service or replace?

really a headache, festive season is around the corner:mad:

graham_flag

Known Member
Feb 13, 2009
arturo
never! haha..so you reckon thats the prob?

oblivion
yeah man, got that symptom before, need to rpm a bit for a minute for the air cond cooling the whole cabin..

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
the condenser should be at it's most efficient when its aluminium white...if it's oxidised n has a layer of oil on it, heat exchange isnt as efficient as it should be. try buying those el-cheapo aircon cleaners from the pasar malam n try it out first...i bought a bottle for rm35 and it works! dont let it stay on for too long tho. it might corrode the condenser n could cause a leak.

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
Danz...how come can kena punctured?

actualy if wanna cover all bases...send in for a/c service. that way the'll clean the condenser, check the compressor oil levels n see if any coolant leaks n stuck coolant lines + check the cooling coils n replace the expansion valve n dryer unit... all in all about rm180 for all the work done.

not sure if MR2 uses a/c filter or not...if yes then need to fork out some xtra for a new filter(but can diy clean the filter...)

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
thats y...i also asked my mech the same question, cos i told him i just changed my cooling coil 8 mths ago, car only used on weekends.....it was a recond unit le......he said cos the layer fins are very thin so can kong easily.......

so i asked him how much for a recond unit & halfcut unit? he said recond rm300++, halfcut rm160++, & wats the diff? i tot recond unit is take the faulty unit & change the fins...like wat they do to radiators...but actually its not, the cooling coil cant be fixed. once bocor, buang.....sell to scrap metal rm6. recond unit means they will get it from kedai potong, wash it, add some oil, spray silver color & pack it, sell rm300++......i was like wtf....i also can do that ma......so i told my mech go get a halfcut unit la....

he also said that the kondensor quite hard to worn out.......

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
but the fins dont carry coolant woor..is the tubing where the fins come out from that carries the coolant...i think u kena tipu la Danz...maybe when they remove the cooling coil didnt take care n got cut or knock on the welding thats y bocor? if they really wanna repair sure can 1...just need to weld shut the hole mah...some presurrised air in soapy water aredy can find mah.

i agree on the toughness of the condenser...but logic wat. put in front of car where all sorts of things can fly in...monkeys, McDonald happy meals, chickens...

oblivion

Known Member
Oct 6, 2006
I got my cooling coil from Mun Lee in Puchong for about rm150.

So far, its been close to a year already since i last change my whole aircon set. Its ok, provided the car is moving. touch wood nothing will happen.

A friend of mine actually changed the relay and let the radiator fan run at max on full time. he said he never had a problem with aircon not being cold in traffic jams. hmm, i'm considering this now :)

graham_flag

Known Member
Feb 13, 2009
haha
got it, its the cooling coil!

so you guys reckon cooling coil costs bout rm150?
how about new one?

where is the easiest place to get one?

graham_flag

Known Member
Feb 13, 2009
haha
got it, its the cooling coil!

so you guys reckon cooling coil costs bout rm150?
how about new one?

where is the easiest place to get one?
its 88501 EVAPORATOR SUB-ASSY, COOLER, NO.1
88501‑17030 SW2* (01/1990 - 10/1993)

where the hell i can find one?

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
try looking out for aircon spareparts shops...they're rarer than normal spareparts shops but u'll normally get parts at a much cheaper price there.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi, can anyone share their experience abt this engine oil?
What i know its damn expensive at over RM200.

Comment?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience