4AG BT with CP High comp piston.. compression 10?

mafia_staff

Known Member
Sep 23, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Good day everybody, Recently install CP high comp piston 82mm and it mention compression 12. After the installation and free run I feel something wrong with my engine before mod. Then I try to check the compression by gauge. It shows 10. I ask the mechanic at my installation workshop and they said thats the piston compression design.. Hmm but Im not satisfied. Try to drag test with a few of my friends, and lose.. Am I conned by the workshop? Do you think the mechanic know what he did?

Frustrated guy.. help!

meg_omen

Known Member
Oct 28, 2004
Home - Klang; O
Visit site
correct compression?:confused:

i think its 2 different things, compression ratio and static compression...
sigh... need to learn more...:banghead:

bera

500 RPM
Oct 27, 2007
i think for an accurate compression spec you need to measured using a vernier caliper...the formula for calculating it is available here...i pening already looking at the formula and symbols...

Compression ratio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

using compression gauge is by right not the correct way to measure CR accurately...

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
this is more simple & understandable :biggrin:

Engine compression ratio cc - YouTube

---------- Post added at 09:37 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:14 AM ----------

usually, high compression piston looks like this.. its stuck up..

and low compression piston looks like this.. its dished..

cuscostrutbrace

500 RPM
Jul 10, 2004
Compression ratio is called static compression,compression test using compression tester gauge is called dynamic compression.Dynamic compression is affected by a few factors and we cant compare compression ratios to dynamic compression directly.

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
So, do you think my mechanic doing the right thing to my engine? feel like being cheated!!!
how do ur piston looks like ? stuck up or dished? or flat like a stock piston?

the best way to modify ur car is to do a dyno test before & after the mods..

only that way u can see an increase/decrease in power..

u also can feel the power.. but it depends on how sensitive your feeling is :biggrin:

from my little knowledge about tuning cars.. high comp piston need to use with high cam duration.. only then u can make more power..

just my 2 cents :wink:

lkeong88

Known Member
Nov 1, 2009
Cheras
Since you changed piston and rebored, did you run in the rings first?

---------- Post added at 01:39 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:33 PM ----------

Also did they do honing?

meg_omen

Known Member
Oct 28, 2004
Home - Klang; O
Visit site
Compression ratio is called static compression,compression test using compression tester gauge is called dynamic compression.Dynamic compression is affected by a few factors and we cant compare compression ratios to dynamic compression directly.
thanks bro...
i've learned a new thing today...:rofl:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
yep...the one using gauge is dynamic...not really related to static compression....

perhaps u need to check your bore and ring gap....as well as camshaft pulley adjustment

mafia_staff

Known Member
Sep 23, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
I know the different between high comp piston and low comp piston. Mine is high comp piston and as you know it expensive (hmm feel like pour the money into drain already). In order to make powerful engine, good in torque I need a high compression.. the key word for NA power is HIGH COMPRESSION the original compression suppose around 10.5 and now the compression is 10 (hmm I think even I plug in TURBO I can play boost 1 bar without detonate the engine)... high comp piston with high camshhaft? hmm I think it will bent your valve.. (just my 2 cent, Im also newbie) the engine already running in, piston ring CHECK, after the adjustment of campulley the best compression is 10.. I think either the mechanic use too thick of metal gasket or he do not shave the head, hhmm let say by 2mm? I wish to get 12 or higher than that my engine compression..

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
the original compression suppose around 10.5 and now the compression is 10
r u sure ur measurement is correct way to do it? go ask some workshops on how to measure ur current compression ratio and dont be surprised if they tell u they need to use water to get a proper and accurate compression...

also theres the dynamic and static compression thing too

now heres the most important thing... after the high compression pistons.. did u get ur car PROPERLY TUNED? with compression increase dont be surprised ur ignition timing chow...coz thats wat happened to me

before with VAFC and stock B20 bottom got 185whp n 18.8kgmm ... after install high comp pistons... and tuned with VAFC got 186whp n 20kgmm...VAFC no ignition tuning... just a/f ratio...n everytime i go dyno the tuner will say my car engine is very rough... coz the graph is like earthquake graph...

then i got Crome which has a/f and ignition tuning... same setup...just change tuning hardware only... 200whp and 22kgmm. n a much smoother graph too.

if u havent gotten it properly tuned... do it.. then come back n see if theres anything to complain or not...

also, one more thing my sifoo has mentioned before...basically to make proper use of high comp... should get high cams

mafia_staff

Known Member
Sep 23, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
So, what should I do now? open the head back? Is it 10 or 10.5 is normal for NA engine? Hmm had enough money to pour already..

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
So, what should I do now? open the head back? Is it 10 or 10.5 is normal for NA engine? Hmm had enough money to pour already..
normal NA engine compression may be different from 1 engine to another...

wat u should do now, is get ur car PROPERLY TUNED. maybe aftermarket management like e-manage with ignition harness or something like that. if got more money then haltech.....n get it PROPERLY TUNED.

i do recommend going onto a dyno to check ur power and a/f first.... n see take a good look at the graph... after that do the management n tuning then u can do a proper comparison.

u have to remember that some mods are not simply a standalone mod... like air filter or exhaust... some mods require supporting mods.. such as high cams require adjustable cam pulleys and tuning. or a dramatic increase in compression requires proper tuning or increase in displacement will require bigger fuel injectors etc etc

the key word for ANY engine has always been tuning.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Sifu,

i planning to send my engine for full balancing but i don have any idea who and where to send it.I heard there is 1 in damansara but im not sure abt it. Any other recommend reputated machinery shop can do this in kl? how much would they charge?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience