20V using RON95...no problemo !

levin818

1,000 RPM
Nov 29, 2003
Shah Alam
Visit site
I guess i had use ron95 for more than a year, first it is o.k for my car,
but lately ....everytime i fill my car with ron95..my engine lights will blink...and the car loose much of its accelerations power.
when i fill it back with ron97 the engine lights still blink, but after a while it will off.
Due to economic factor i have no choice but to use back ron95, and until today, i drive my car with the engine lights blinking..
Either using RON95 or 97, will not cause check light to blink.
Check light blinking means your ECU is faulty.
Have it check/replace/rebuilt immediately before it stall your car in the highway.
Not to mention about the towing cost incurs, it will definitely endanger to driver and passenger's life.

---------- Post added at 12:42 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:31 PM ----------

Comparing Petronas RON95 xtra and Shell V-power 97 in my BT ride...

RON 95 gives lots of knocking even though at 1st gear. Need to push up the RPM before release the clutch in order to get rid of the anoying click click sound. Poor acceleration and feel like engine is running rough at 4000~8000rpm. However, surprisingly FC is slightly better than 97 (~430km vs ~400km full tank).

tonyops

Known Member
Oct 28, 2010
Sarawak
for my case, the knocking sound is more quiet when I use RON 95. When I use RON 97, knocking sound is quite loud. Does it mean if those people use RON 100 in Japan, the knocking sound is totally gone?

At 1st i thought the fuel quality may contribute to the knocking sound.How can we ger rid of this knocking sound (sounded like typewriter, or diesel engine, tak tak tak tak....never ending sound) ??? I find it rather irritating. Anyone has experienced / know how to get rid of that sound?

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
for my case, the knocking sound is more quiet when I use RON 95. When I use RON 97, knocking sound is quite loud. Does it mean if those people use RON 100 in Japan, the knocking sound is totally gone?

At 1st i thought the fuel quality may contribute to the knocking sound.How can we ger rid of this knocking sound (sounded like typewriter, or diesel engine, tak tak tak tak....never ending sound) ??? I find it rather irritating. Anyone has experienced / know how to get rid of that sound?
AE101 Supercharger :biggrin::driver:

chinozie

Very Young Member... :D
Jul 5, 2004
Damansara
4age20v.blogsome.com

I'm assuming the diesel sound appears during engine idling too...not during acceleration...
If do...that particular sound is well known among 20V enthusiast...
It's the sound of VVT pulley...

you might want to read this :

http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/toyota/370116-vvt-pulley.html

tonyops

Known Member
Oct 28, 2010
Sarawak
I'm assuming the diesel sound appears during engine idling too...not during acceleration...
If do...that particular sound is well known among 20V enthusiast...
It's the sound of VVT pulley...

you might want to read this :

http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/toyota/370116-vvt-pulley.html

Yea it happens also during idling. But when you start the car for the first time in the day (perhaps morning), the sound is not there. When it starts to get hotter after 5-10 mins, the diesel sound will come back. Is it from the pulley as what you said?

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
I guess i had use ron95 for more than a year, first it is o.k for my car,
but lately ....everytime i fill my car with ron95..my engine lights will blink...and the car loose much of its accelerations power.
when i fill it back with ron97 the engine lights still blink, but after a while it will off.
Due to economic factor i have no choice but to use back ron95, and until today, i drive my car with the engine lights blinking..
I've been there.. the check light blinks every now & then.. on my SVT..

one day it juz went dead on me..

i consulted with my mech & he told me about the aircond water drip onto the ECU..

not directly drip on it.. it follows the wiring & end up on the ECU..

he ask me to put plastic bag on top of the ECU to cover it properly..

u should do the same..

:driver:

pcmoddingmy

1,000 RPM
Mar 23, 2006
www.pcmoddingmy.com
Previously, I really hated RON95 but thanks to RON95 xtra by petronas, I can feel that 20v is alive! Not really promoting petronas brand by any means, but it definitely improves performance a bit on 20v and reduces knocking/pinging. For those without piggyback, I'd suggest to retard the timing a bit (with a timing gun) and increase the fuel pressure (if you have an adjustable FPR) as it helps with RON95 quite a lot. Also, CAI will lower intake temperature and reduce the change of knocking as well.

With VVT indicator mod, you will notice that knocking will usually occur when VVT kicks in at low rpm (around 2000-3000rpm). So i'd suggest to ease of the throttle a bit when it knocks and floor it once you're up in the higher revs.

Cheers

chinozie

Very Young Member... :D
Jul 5, 2004
Damansara
4age20v.blogsome.com
Yea it happens also during idling. But when you start the car for the first time in the day (perhaps morning), the sound is not there. When it starts to get hotter after 5-10 mins, the diesel sound will come back. Is it from the pulley as what you said?
yup...the sound will get louder when the engine is hotter... it's normal...

does it sound like this ?

YouTube - Blacktop 4age 20v

Last edited:

cookie

500 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
PJ
Visit site
Previously, I really hated RON95 but thanks to RON95 xtra by petronas, I can feel that 20v is alive! Not really promoting petronas brand by any means, but it definitely improves performance a bit on 20v and reduces knocking/pinging. For those without piggyback, I'd suggest to retard the timing a bit (with a timing gun) and increase the fuel pressure (if you have an adjustable FPR) as it helps with RON95 quite a lot. Also, CAI will lower intake temperature and reduce the change of knocking as well.

With VVT indicator mod, you will notice that knocking will usually occur when VVT kicks in at low rpm (around 2000-3000rpm). So i'd suggest to ease of the throttle a bit when it knocks and floor it once you're up in the higher revs.

Cheers
bro, thanks for sharing. Now, I know why the engine lags from 2K to 3K rpm :bawling: when I use RON95

tonyops

Known Member
Oct 28, 2010
Sarawak
yup...the sound will get louder when the engine is hotter... it's normal...

does it sound like this ?

YouTube - Blacktop 4age 20v
YES, EXACTLY!!!! But the one in this video is quite serious. Mine is slightly better than this one. Damn, I hate that sound... It's like you lose faith in the engine and never know when it's going to break down on you.

Talking about RON95, I just finished a full tank of Primax 95 Xtra and compared it with Shell RON95. I would say mileage wise, both almost the same. Similar driving habits, Primax 95 Xtra was at 515km, while Shell can give me 520km. That means old Petronas fuel technology is worse?

As for the 'Umph', I feel Petronas fuel lack the 'G' feeling when accelerate. Somehow the Shell RON95 combustion is a lot stronger, maybe due to the additives in it. One thing I feel is that engine sound is quieter when using Petronas 95 Xtra. Shell RON95 gives you a harsh feeling, but more power.

Engine knocking wise, both feels the same, so i believe fuel is not a factor to the engine knocking, but the VVT pulley is as advised by chinozie. Now one interesting ques, can be sound be eliminated by fixing the oil control valve (OCV)? I've seen some forum discussions trying to drive with their engine with the OCV unplugged, purpose is to disengage the VVT. Will that actually harm the engine itself?

So my conclusion, if you want power, with good mileage between the two choice, I'd say Shell is the winner. :congrats::congrats:

BudakSiol!

Known Member
Nov 17, 2003
-
Using Ron95 as well, retard distributor but like what pcmoddingmy mentioned during 2000-3000 knocking is most apparent so must tekan alot less. Fuel consumption not much difference than RON97. 1Litre=10km.

nommiey

From Facebook
Apr 12, 2011
www.facebook.com
Hi everyone.
I just recently change my AE101 engine to BT, so really new about all this. However, need to ask opinion about ron 95. Should I retard the distributor for 95 or not? What is the side effect if i don't do this? I am thinking to use 95 only since now 97 so dam expensive. Is there any other way to reduce knocking when use 95?
Thanks.

teikwing

Known Member
Oct 19, 2006
Kuala Lumpur

Cheers
I can vouch for that statement too. Was using Shell 95 all these while & knocking/loss of power is pretty apparent. Better power with Caltex/BHP/Esso but lesser milleage. Went for Petronas 95 Xtra since a month ago and been happy with it ever since. Reduces knocking/pinging & same milleage achieved as per Shell's.

Good post on how to reduce knocking with various methods. Still looking to install my VVT indicator from you, boss! ;)

pcmoddingmy

1,000 RPM
Mar 23, 2006
www.pcmoddingmy.com
teikwing, glad to hear that RON95 Xtra is working well for you...but I don't remember bout the VVT indicator install. I think you should refer to sifu Chinozie for the VVT LED =)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

You know you're in for an awesome drive when the manifest states a brand new and yellow 458 Italia, a Scuderia, a couple of GT3 RS old and new, a couple of R8s, both V8s and a handful of F430s just to name a few. This Breakfast drive to Port Dickson is just one of the many social activities organized by Blue Jackets, a relatively new high-end car...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience