1st time in Sepang, 2:54,20, great event!

A4XRBJ1

Known Member
Jul 27, 2009
www.awest.de
Guys,

just a quick one to inform you that the green beast and myself survived Sepang track day :-)

All had some big fun including my mom being at race track for 1st time in her life (said afterwards she understands now why my exhaust needs to be exchanged, couldn't hear my car at all, haha).

I did start in group 1 first as I wanted to have instructor for 1st time to tell about break, turn-in, apex and turn-out points. But no need lah, as they put up cones on the track to mark them. Still 4 laps in with instructor he tells me to pull out into pits, I think WTF, I booked 25 minutes man. He then says, you're too good and fast for this group, so put's me in group 2.

Still overtook everybody, only a blue Subi I had to pass as guy was faster than me (need to get rid of speed limiter and upgrade). Smoked anybody else, was constantly driving around 3 minutes, 2:59, 2:58 and so one for most of my rounds.

Then decided to change to manual shifting instead of letting SST do the job in sport mode. Guess what, big change. 2:55 and 2:54,20 was my last and fastest lap before 3rd session was over. Even then super-sport mode probably can add a couple of seconds. Also, as AFC was still on a couple of seconds were lost there too as it didn't allow the car to slide a little bit, slowed me down a lot.

Instructor said car could probably do 2:40 on the track, so still some room for improvement. All in all a great event, but had no brakes at end of 1st and 3rd session, both on the end of long straight going into turn 15. Ooops, scary moment to find out at 180 km/h that breaks don't work. So need to change to steal lines, race brake fluid and ECB brake pads I guess. Also, will look at ventilation for brakes as they were seriously overheating, can't be after 6-7 rounds of hard driving man!!!

Only had one more error message on some temp issue, as it was in Japanese can't tell if it was oil temp or tranny temp. Will know when I can read ECU messages (have software for that but left my adapter in my S2000's trunk :banghead:

All in all great event organized by HPC, debrief by instructors after event (1 participant went off after 1st round in turn 14 at EXIT POINT !!!), people were good behaving and only 1 or two blocked road but probably due to be concentrating to street ahead and not the green beast lurking behind them.

For 250 bucks definetely one to consider for all of you. You get 3 times 25 minutes of track time in return, seems enough when it comes to car having problems after driving it hard.

Was logging data via Performance box, so will post more details about lines (got instructors line in his own little Jazz) and g-forces later on.

Andreas

PS: Eva saw someone with a MLOC shirt there, two Evo 9 (I guess) where at the event, one Lancer GT too. But had no conversation with them, probably all too busy preparing car and themselves. I had to drive for 10 minutes car down after brake loss, so not much time from my side too to find them

dawg

Known Member
Nov 29, 2003
Selangor
dawgsevo.blogspot.com
Good timing for a 1st timer in Sepang. My first track experience also average around 3mins per lap, doing 6.5k revs pull and just learning the turns and lining to take. Also with some crap tires with no grip, didnt dare to push the car at all. I had an on board video cam which recorded the lap.

Once I got home, kept replaying back the video and see where are the rooms for improvement. And the next track day, I managed 2m50s. So a video record helps, if you do happen to go track next time, bring a camera tripod, some duck tapes, and a video recorded. Tape the tripod to your back passenger seat arm rest and you're good to go.

Just some timing that I ask around (for evo 8, evo x should be better)
stock evo 8 timing for better than average driver can touch 2m45s (with 180kmh speed cut in place) Which is my goal to hit once i replace my worn out tires.
stock evo 8 timing for professional track driver can touch 2m38s (removed speed cut)

Slicks and semi-slicks can improve lap times, but the above timing as a benchmark was done without using slicks/semi slick tires. Also when they say stock, the entire car is stock except for air filter and cat-back exhaust mods done (bcos most evo owners always change those when they get their car). But all else such as suspension, boost etc remains as it is.

2m40 for evo x is highly possible! brake later, and throttle earlier at exits =p

btw regarding brakes, perhaps try to change the pads to something like 500deg ones and steelbraided hoses does help, but I think the pads itself affect the braking more than the hoses. Changing both would be best!

bb1-man

500 RPM
Mar 29, 2005
the guy in the MLOC shirt was me.

Whassup Andreas. nice green monster you've got. I drove the white DC5 for the day. Would love to get my hands on another evo.

ealt

2,000 RPM
Dec 16, 2003
Owned DC5 but wearing MLOC t-shirt?emmm......missed us already ar....hehe...

bb1-man

500 RPM
Mar 29, 2005
Andreas, having read your post, I think brake lines and fluid is not gonna do the trick. You brake fairly late and thats where the temp goes all the way up. I don't know whats the temp rating on a std evo X brake rotor and pad, but going all the way up to 700c on your front brakeset might do the trick for your next run.

far as i know brake lines and fluid only help with reactiveness of the brakes, it'll still heat up and fade as the temp threshold is crossed. hope this helps.

ealt, dewa,

yes i miss you all. you won't hangout with me anymore now that i drive a slower car? its okay lah. im gonna get toyota prius next.

ariel

500 RPM
Nov 15, 2005
2'54" was a gud time for the 1st timer :rock:

DewA_LavaU

1,500 RPM
Jan 11, 2004
Bintulu
Andreas, having read your post, I think brake lines and fluid is not gonna do the trick. You brake fairly late and thats where the temp goes all the way up. I don't know whats the temp rating on a std evo X brake rotor and pad, but going all the way up to 700c on your front brakeset might do the trick for your next run.

far as i know brake lines and fluid only help with reactiveness of the brakes, it'll still heat up and fade as the temp threshold is crossed. hope this helps.

ealt, dewa,

yes i miss you all. you won't hangout with me anymore now that i drive a slower car? its okay lah. im gonna get toyota prius next.
man bro buruk dowhh ko merajuk olololo nahhh sugus for you ahahahahaha heyyy lets TT this week man! and ealt too!!! i miss both of u!!!:wavey::driver:

mizunori77

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2006
hey andreas, any vids of your lap around the track? how were your tires' performance?

dawg

Known Member
Nov 29, 2003
Selangor
dawgsevo.blogspot.com
With regards to oil temp, when I was lapping 2m50s for 4-5 laps continuously, my oil temp was showing around 120-125deg. This is probably too hot right? I'm using Torco TR-1 10w-40 btw...

bb1-man

500 RPM
Mar 29, 2005
dawg, 120-125 should be just about nice. I was told before that ultimate hp of MOST performance oils is reached at around 130, with cooking point being about 150. If you consider some safety factor, i would say the oil would lose some of its properties at 140.

But that said, I'm not quite sure of the chemical properties of torco tr-1.

dawg

Known Member
Nov 29, 2003
Selangor
dawgsevo.blogspot.com
bb1-man, thanks for your info. Got the engine oil from Kaitenaz. After track day, didnt notice any drop in oil level, I tend to cool down my engine after reaching around 120+ deg as I heard from someone that reaching 130deg is too hot.

Btw, is a yellow cyberevo part of MLOC member's ride here? Fully kitted, and insanely fast in track.
Couldn't even keep up with it...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH-k6tcO0Dk

mizunori77

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2006
dawg, 120-125 should be just about nice. I was told before that ultimate hp of MOST performance oils is reached at around 130, with cooking point being about 150. If you consider some safety factor, i would say the oil would lose some of its properties at 140.

But that said, I'm not quite sure of the chemical properties of torco tr-1.
120-125 is with or without oil cooler installed?