1Malaysia F1 Team

Trinityblood

3,000 RPM
Nov 10, 2007
The f1 lotus team not benefit to our automotif directly,but most of it goes to the TUNE GROUP marketing strategy..very brave and clever move from the intelegent CEO,indirectly to the tourism industry. This has a very long economic chain invlove since ppl come and go,technology transfer and so on,for the short term we wont get the full picture. Any how, no one expect that air asia doing superverbly at the begining but look at they now...i do belive and respect TF
decision to enter in this industry at the same time i confident that they know what they doing.

FVel

500 RPM
Feb 5, 2007
wat the fuck is Petronas throw 30mil to sponsor Merc GP, but not Lotus... why huh..?? wat the goddamn fucking thinking they got..??
Well let's see...

Merc GP has the following :-

2009 Driver's Championship Title
2009 Constructor's Championship Title
Michael Schumacher
Ross Brawn (who engineered all of MS's seven titles at Benetton and Ferrari)
Majority ownership and major manufacturer backing from Mercedes

The new 1Malaysia Lotus F1 has :-

No F1 titles to its name
No track-record
Tony Fernandes (marketing man, not a motorsport guy)
Paul Gascoiyne (lol !! How many times have this guy switched jobs in F1 ?)
Admitted they realistically will only be aiming for best of the new teams in their debut

Why would anyone want to spend good money by branding their product on a Proton rather than a Merc ?

---------- Post added at 12:44 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:05 PM ----------

The f1 lotus team not benefit to our automotif directly,but most of it goes to the TUNE GROUP marketing strategy..very brave and clever move from the intelegent CEO,indirectly to the tourism industry. This has a very long economic chain invlove since ppl come and go,technology transfer and so on,for the short term we wont get the full picture. Any how, no one expect that air asia doing superverbly at the begining but look at they now...i do belive and respect TF
decision to enter in this industry at the same time i confident that they know what they doing.
When people talk about F1 it has become fashionable to use terms like 'transfer of tech' but without really qualifying what the term actually encompass. Transferring what tech ? and to what industry and what applications ?

The engineering and technology aspects of F1 is more or less confined to the teams actually directly involved in building and running the cars. Outside of this, there is little applicability of F1 tech in the pure engineering sense to everyday applications. Some F1 tech has been carried over to other industries, particularly aviation, composites, etc, but these are mostly within specialized applications.

Patrick Head gave an interview back in 1993 during Alain Prost's Championship year in which he made it very clear that the primary concern of engineering in F1 is to make the cars go faster and if it happens that, by chance, some of these tech benefit road cars, then it's purely coincidence because F1 was never geared towards an objective of benefitting the local car industry.

By default, I think a lot of people expect significant improvement to road cars and to the local automative industry just because a nation is backing an F1 team. This is a misconception.

If you look at it historically, the most consistently successful F1 teams over the years had invariably been British or British-based and even today many major F1 teams are based in England (McLaren at Woking; Brawn at Brackley; Williams at Grove; Red Bull Racing at Milton Keynes, Renault (formerly Toleman) at Enstone etc, etc).

However, in spite of this successful heritage of racing at the pinnacle of motorsport, it cannot be said that the British automotive industry has had similar successes. For that matter, the British automotive industry as a whole is a non-event, abject failure. Most of the famous British brands you have heard of have either ceased as a business concern or bought out by foreigners...brands like Jaguar, Cooper, Rover, Leyland, Austin, etc.

There is little to no causal connection between success in F1 and success in the local automotive industry. People need to get this kind of simple-minded nonsense out of their heads.

As you said, for those entities who are non-motorsport but who invest in F1, the primary interest is more to do with branding and marketing, which is what folks like Air Asia is doing. Invariably you get to nurture local talents in racecraft and engineering but at the end of the day the applicability of these skills will be confined to the specialized arenas of motorsport and certain industrial applications.

It definitely won't translate to a significant, quantifiable improvement to road cars.

Closer to home, Proton have had Lotus for a long time, but it does not mean our Proton cars have become cutting edge. Lotus itself was never a company renowned for building four door road cars. Historically, there has never been a sedan road car in the Lotus lineup. They serve a niche market catering for sportcars enthusiasts. If you ever sat in a Lotus car, invariably it's a vehicle built primarily for performance rather than pragmatic family comfort.

Last edited:

mokomoko

500 RPM
Feb 20, 2006
i dont understand whats this obsession with F1 this F1 that by our country. Havn't they checked the economic weather? Even giants like Honda have pulled out of F1 due to rising costs per race season. And its not like our country is like teeming with monies.

always want face value only.

Trinityblood

3,000 RPM
Nov 10, 2007
Well said Fvel, but my point is TF had their own interest when they start invest on these industry. Before they come to the decision, there is a findings completed on what will they
be getting on what they invest. I do agree on u on technology transfer we will might be not getting or getting the technology trans since our capacity and facilties are very limited not to mention the human skill. But, to me the main reason Tune group presuade the govt become partner is more to marketing strategy as i mention before..As for significant improve to our road car and local automotif like u said, to me they did some long time a ago on gti variant and neo..as if they did involve on F1,is it our local automotif become more advance? There is no firm result rite. So my very own opinion lotus F1team still a good idea.

p/s:i never been into lotus car since im riding a bike..yet i never expect lotus provide comfort.

juz my 2cents tho..

Trinityblood

3,000 RPM
Nov 10, 2007
i dont understand whats this obsession with F1 this F1 that by our country. Havn't they checked the economic weather? Even giants like Honda have pulled out of F1 due to rising costs per race season. And its not like our country is like teeming with monies.

always want face value only.
bro.good point..but as simple as this,if ppl stop going shopping and spending are these help our country economic flow..might be yes and no as well.

P/s:if no one comes and buy performance stuff at sunway then what will going to happen...:confused:

FVel

500 RPM
Feb 5, 2007
Well said Fvel, but my point is TF had their own interest when they start invest on these industry. Before they come to the decision, there is a findings completed on what will they
be getting on what they invest. I do agree on u on technology transfer we will might be not getting or getting the technology trans since our capacity and facilties are very limited not to mention the human skill. But, to me the main reason Tune group presuade the govt become partner is more to marketing strategy as i mention before..As for significant improve to our road car and local automotif like u said, to me they did some long time a ago on gti variant and neo..as if they did involve on F1,is it our local automotif become more advance? There is no firm result rite. So my very own opinion lotus F1team still a good idea.

p/s:i never been into lotus car since im riding a bike..yet i never expect lotus provide comfort.

juz my 2cents tho..
If you read again what I wrote, you will note that I did not say anything inconsistent with your opinion. You correctly pointed out in your earlier post that investors such as Fernandes are doing this more so with objective of marketing and branding for their companies and services. Unlike so many other posters, you were specific enough as to who are the ultimate beneficiaries of F1.

I merely wrote what I wrote to clarify an often misconceived perception that F1 improves road cars and the general automotive industry.

Historically, there has never been any such links. Participation in F1 never drove the rate of progress in the general automative industry, nor vice-versa. Still, it has not stopped a lot of people from suggesting that F1 tech ought to be a platform for the general car industry.

Maybe, in terms of several tech throughout the history of F1, this could have been applied to road cars, but eventually nothing has been incorprated that has significantly turn the auto industry on its head. No doubt a lot of tech are state-of-the art when they first came out, but there's still the question about whether these tech are something that lends itself to be incorporated to road cars on a cost effective and manufacture efficient basis. For example, CF composites (pioneered by McLaren) is great for high end sportscars but not something pragmatic for everyday road cars, both in terms of cost and ease of manufacture.

I still find it quite funny when people go on and on about the need for transfer of tech but when you ask them to tell you specifically which tech, they just respond with a blank look. If people would like an opportunity to understand more about F1 tech, a really good book in this regards is the following :-
‘Formula 1 Technology’ by former F1 engineer Peter G. Wright (Amazon.com: Formula 1 Technology (9780768002348): Peter G. Wright: Books).

I managed to find the video footage of Patrick Head's 1993 interview (YouTube- Broadcast Yourself..) It is worthwhile to quote and understand what he said at the 10min 15 sec mark of the footage :-

"When we are working on something to improve the racecar, we don't say we will do this because it may benefit the motor industry. We do it because it will make our car faster. If there happens to be some secondary benefit for the motor industry, then it's really a good thing and, to some extent, it is up to the rulemakers to make sure that the things we might think of to make our cars better on the racetrack happen to coincide with what may be of interest to the people making road vehicles."

FVel

500 RPM
Feb 5, 2007
Sorry, didn't realize the video had been removed. I downloaded the footage onto my harddrive a while back and saved the URL to notepad but I have no idea when youtube removed the documentary. That's the thing with a lot of youtube stuff. If you want a permanent record, download it quickly because there's no guarantee it will remain.

JINEIL2EN

Over 10,000 RPM!
Sep 6, 2004
Island Of Pearl
team99ers.2.forumer.com
hehehehe... thats mean plant a durian tree & wait for the durain fall... i rather buy the durain & sell the durian..:rofl:

Trinityblood

3,000 RPM
Nov 10, 2007
yeah..no harm to wait..as if no one plant the durian what is actually fall?...dream.buy and sell..empty

Trinityblood

3,000 RPM
Nov 10, 2007
:rofl:as if no F1 team the gov acct still drying fast.....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

DiRT 3 is almost upon us but until we can actually trade in our cold hard cash for the game towards the end of the month, we’re going to have to make do with the trailers and teasers that were designed to do nothing but tantalise and torment us.

The third edition of the dust-kicking game takes a very gymkhana-friendly approach, which makes perfect sense considering the galactic appeal of Ken Block and his...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience