1982 Datsun 120y engine select

l2s_turbo

1,000 RPM
Oct 23, 2004
Hmm i've booked a 1982 datsun 120y with my fren.. bound to be taken in these few months.. now question comes.. which engine should i choose? Anyone can recommend from below? Please help to comment the pros & cons for the selected engine. If possible help to put down the engine price range too. :adore:

1) A14
2) A15
3) CA18DE/DET
4) 12A
5) 13B
6) SR20DE/DET
7) 4A-GE/4A-GZE
8) F20C (but crazy price)

Which one should i dump in? and can make it road legal? My purpose for this car is cruising and occasionally drifting if can.. and sometimes can smoke those @ss chasers when driving.. because i don't really like ppl "cucuk belakang" Any opinions are welcome other than the above stated engine. Thanks bros!!! :adore::cheers:

Last edited:

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
Hmm i've booked a 1982 datsun 120y with my fren.. bound to be taken in these few months.. now question comes.. which engine should i choose? Anyone can recommend from below? Please help to comment the pros & cons for the selected engine. If possible help to put down the engine price range too. :adore:

1) A14
2) A15
3) CA18DE/DET
4) 12A
5) 13B
6) SR20DE/DET

Which one should i dump in? and can make it road legal? My purpose for this car is cruising and occasionally drifting if can.. and sometimes can smoke those @ss chasers when driving.. because i don't really like ppl "cucuk belakang" Any opinions are welcome other than the above stated engine. Thanks bros!!! :adore::cheers:
Whats your budget? Do you plan to endorse the enigne? :biggrin:

l2s_turbo

1,000 RPM
Oct 23, 2004
Yes i plan to endorse the engine if possible.. budget no preference yet as need to know which engine cost how much? Maybe say 10k~15k?

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
ca18det :adore:

l2s_turbo

1,000 RPM
Oct 23, 2004
I also think of that but how much is the halfcut cost now? Parts easy to find?

ever consider 4A-Ge series?its road legal for sure....saw my fren BOT his 120y 4a-ge....pretty fast
4A-GE yup i saw online ppl in Australia also drop that 4AGZE in it.. but the crossmember need to mod a lot wor... can endorse also? How much is that halfcut cost now?

rb26...it nissan ehe
RB26 i think out of my budget and road legal question ba.. another thing is whether can the chassis tahan or not? Later WOT only the chassis tear apart.. :banghead:

Any more suggestion bro??

Last edited:

l2s_turbo

1,000 RPM
Oct 23, 2004
my fren done it quite long time back, he is using ae86 4AGE RWD engine + BOT

if the one u mentioned 4AGZE, its from ae92up. FWD edi. also not bad
But can we use a FWD engine to do the setup for RWD? I'm looking at black top also.. but i guess it would be damn costly i guess..

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Last edited:

virqai

Known Member
Dec 30, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
But can we use a FWD engine to do the setup for RWD? I'm looking at black top also.. but i guess it would be damn costly i guess..
Ca18T or SR20T...any engine and CC u put also can legal...kecuali proton car(local),that what i know...if over cc than 25% from that std body...u must go to PG10 first....mounting engine cun,chasis,lantai oso ori can la...heee..can get lantai like ori ke? no weld2 sana-sini....dont want to go just PM me.
can take fwd engine to Rwd...to mode Rwd anything posible..like Toyota+mitshubisi g.box..Mitsh+Nissan g.box or else..important thing is engine rotation match with gear rotation.2 way u can make it,1)adapter plate or 2) cut and weld front mouth g.box.....i prefer second choice..uhhh...
"why dont u try Neo VVL."....not like fwd bro...i still in progress with my F20b+B series G.box without adapter plate...cut the old mouth from B series block and weld to F20b block...so bnyk keje...

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
Can use also la, like the 20v 4A's are all FF still they end up in AE's and KE's right? I dont think the SR would be endorsable, neither would be the rotaries but thats just my 2 cents haha.

I'd go for the 4AGZE if I were you, I think the halfcuts are decently affordable... but personally my choice would be the A15 with twin carbs ahaha :rofl: .

Ghost-Rider

Aug 9, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
If want stay Retro Style, use carb engine. For Nissan search for GX (such as A12GX) engine which promise you durability and little performance to end RPM. For better performance a single or pair of weber carburetor can be put replace stock carb. BUT. can be little faint to tune that thingy :p.

My friend, the blue mamba 120y been used that a12Gx with single dcnf-40 weber for 3 years, always rev till end rpm till last october 2011 when at last the enjin kaboom! due to not forgot to refill engine oil. muahaha

And now he on progress, transplant ca18det, with s13 suspension and brake system, currently send to do some wiring stuff. All other works he done himself =.=! I worriedw with his own custom DIY engine mount. haha
Video - 峠 | The Tï½ï½•ï½‡ï½… 12ï¼ï¼¹ã€€ï½œã€€ï¼­ï½ï½Œï½ï½™ï½“ï½‰ï½ - YouTube

l2s_turbo

1,000 RPM
Oct 23, 2004
not as plenty as the mass favourite sr20det...

but still parts in halfcut shop still available....and pricewise a bit cheaper than the other....

:adore:

example like simple search in mudah.my results this:: VEHICLES for sale in Malaysia: ca18det - Mudah.my

this was ongoing project i found in the web:: Back to the Backyard – 120Y Blue Mamba
But SR20DET can endorse ke?

Ca18T or SR20T...any engine and CC u put also can legal...kecuali proton car(local),that what i know...if over cc than 25% from that std body...u must go to PG10 first....mounting engine cun,chasis,lantai oso ori can la...heee..can get lantai like ori ke? no weld2 sana-sini....dont want to go just PM me.
can take fwd engine to Rwd...to mode Rwd anything posible..like Toyota+mitshubisi g.box..Mitsh+Nissan g.box or else..important thing is engine rotation match with gear rotation.2 way u can make it,1)adapter plate or 2) cut and weld front mouth g.box.....i prefer second choice..uhhh...
"why dont u try Neo VVL."....not like fwd bro...i still in progress with my F20b+B series G.box without adapter plate...cut the old mouth from B series block and weld to F20b block...so bnyk keje...
Ic, the car's floor pan still ok did not rust badly.. so no need to change floor pan.. wonder if honda S2000's engine F20C can fit in or not?

Can use also la, like the 20v 4A's are all FF still they end up in AE's and KE's right? I dont think the SR would be endorsable, neither would be the rotaries but thats just my 2 cents haha.

I'd go for the 4AGZE if I were you, I think the halfcuts are decently affordable... but personally my choice would be the A15 with twin carbs ahaha :rofl: .
Hmm good suggestion.. as i was discussing with my mechanic, the 4A-GE was also quite a good option as i told him that i might not want this car to be another turbocharged car as maintaining 2 turbocharged car would be a hassle.. so he asked me to go NA.. like i mentioned, not sure whether F20C can fit too or not? But seems like CA18DET halfcut price also quite affordable..lol.. gabra already..

Last edited:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
I also think of that but how much is the halfcut cost now? Parts easy to find?
look on my previous post contains seach in mudah.my....the rates price are around that :adore:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Next Bike Sdn Bhd, the official Ducati distributor in Malaysia, has just launched the new Streetfighter 848 and much like it's numeral, its gotten is guts from the mini-superbike Ducati 848.

<!--more-->Based on the*original*Streetfighter <del>game</del> bike that adopted the engine from the Ducati 1,098, the new 848-based Streetfighter now comes to us with a few minor tweaks to help...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience