New VW Golf GTi - test drove : what a car!

cyclonite

500 RPM
Nov 27, 2003
I just came back from test driving this car. It's superb. If you look at it as a car which combines excellent performance with excellent comfort, this is really THE CAR to get. Of coz don't expect excellent engine response, traction breaking acceleration, throwing you back into your seat, etc.etc. Maybe with the ESP turned off you'll get that but I didn't try. What's most impressive to me is the whole suspension handling package which is so comfortable yet so stiff and stable. Also the awesome DSG which you can't feel the gear shifting up or down other than the slight sound of the blow off valve and engine note.

The salesman took the car up to over 200km/h easily on the NPE just now.

prozac

1,000 RPM
Jan 18, 2004
Visit site
cyclonite said:
Of coz don't expect excellent engine response, traction breaking acceleration, throwing you back into your seat, etc.etc. Maybe with the ESP turned off you'll get that but I didn't try.
Here's a feat : Try getting up and reaching forwards when the car is being pushed WOT.

No doubt you won't get that *sudden* surge as in a japanese turbo or VTEC, but that's mainly because the japs' torque curve makes a sudden shift from barely any...to monstrous torque.

The GTi's acceleration is more of a constant pull; from 1500rpm till 5000rpm. This makes power more accessible for daily use and in fact, the japs are following this refined trend with the newer turbos and VTECs.

cyclonite

500 RPM
Nov 27, 2003
Well I know some continental cars which give you that sudden surge too. Such as Ferraris, Fiat, Merc sports cars, Maybe you're comparing the GTi to other contis such as MG, Alfa, etc.etc?
i'm not too familar with continental cars.

hanjin

Known Member
Jun 21, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
Test dorve the car yesterday. It's soooo sweet!!!!! I want one now...
he sad thing is that it does not come in leather.

anyways, for those who have tested, would you prefer a full manual or the dsg? I found the response shifting up or down when you ress the levers to be a little slow.

So would you pay the extra 20K for the DSG gear box or add 15k for the 240HP WALD tuning package?

Anyways, which ever gear box you are using... It's a sweet car in the tradition of the GTi's!

Score 8.5/10!

bump!

si|verfish

5,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2004
PJ
The DSG box in the GTI has got rave reviews everywhere. But really, it is up to the buyer. If you are adamant you want a manual then go ahead. If you are those who wants a bit of convenience to go with the sporty drive, the DSG gives you the option.
Anyway, VW also claims the Golf with DSG does 0 - 60 faster than a conventional manual, so...

hanjin

Known Member
Jun 21, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
Yup, i guess it's up to the buyer to decide on the gear box.
If you were a hardcore stickshift person, i gues it will take a little time to get used to dsg shift to time it just right. :p

However, i heard from a friend that the double clutch that comes with the gear box could wear off fairly quickly. Have anyone heard of this? :confused:

Well eery one seem to have tested the DSG version, i wonder if anyone had tried the 6 speed manual yet? Would like to hear some reviews about it. :)

continental_drifter

Known Member
Feb 25, 2005
DSG...dual clutch gearbox....its better then any other manual gearbox cost it consost two clutch...so it's wierd if someone say's the response is a bit late...hehe..

HKS-GT2835R

1,000 RPM
Apr 25, 2004
kelate
Visit site
prozac said:
Here's a feat : Try getting up and reaching forwards when the car is being pushed WOT.

No doubt you won't get that *sudden* surge as in a japanese turbo or VTEC, but that's mainly because the japs' torque curve makes a sudden shift from barely any...to monstrous torque.

The GTi's acceleration is more of a constant pull; from 1500rpm till 5000rpm. This makes power more accessible for daily use and in fact, the japs are following this refined trend with the newer turbos and VTECs.
yeah.
probably becoz that's not the 184 kW (250 bhp) r32 version..

HKS-GT2835R

1,000 RPM
Apr 25, 2004
kelate
Visit site
continental_drifter said:
yeah true guys!one off them is me..im driving the first batch of vw golf 1976...and it last until now...wehoooOooo...and people still lookin at my car...im proud to drive that car!
heyy..
found a brother here.
mine's a '87 mk2.
i love it to death!

Bert

500 RPM
Nov 16, 2003
Muddy Delta
Visit site
hehe.. I tried a chipped MkV last week and damn it is much faster than a stock GTi... With 18" rims and tires it did some wheelship when I floored it in 2nd gear before the ESP came in to save the poor tires...

moruh

Known Member
Jun 15, 2004
my cousin subaru imp. sti wersion 8 also kena tapau sama stock golf gti. top speed. Bravo g.gti!

H2Zero

500 RPM
Sep 8, 2005
New Territories
moruh said:
my cousin subaru imp. sti wersion 8 also kena tapau sama stock golf gti. top speed. Bravo g.gti!
Hey jokes aside ... I am also a VW enthuciast but to tapau a Scooby ... the power to weight is just not right...? Just my comment ...

prozac

1,000 RPM
Jan 18, 2004
Visit site
Scooby's tend to be better suited for pickup rather than top speed. But could be wider gearing of the GTi too.

^^TAKATA^^

Known Member
Dec 21, 2005
+ veryy nice looking and nice to hold steering wheel...droolz

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hey guys can u help me out? wanna change my piping system but im so confuse n noob ... i just want to know what is the best exhaust for dc5
:bawling::banghead::banghead::banghead:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience