Tested Swift, but need some opinion

shaune

Known Member
Feb 13, 2005
i would say that whatever price for the manual now is purely speculative only....
as there are no directive to the sales team as yet.....

anyways, if can wait why not? otherwise get the auto la.....

should be getting my red swift today!!! yahoo....

kenso

Jul 25, 2005
PJ
shaune, congrats! U`ve made an excellent choice .... I`ve been driving mine for almost a month now and I have absolutely no regrets .... well, actually got 1 .... the car is too small for a guy! But otherwise, it`s a wonderful car. Be sure to take ur car for some detailing treatment to preserve the paint. Red is one of the more difficult color to maintain so u definitely need to take extra care, what more with the rain & haze we`re experiencing now. Very damaging on ur clear coat if nothing is done. I`ve been doing tons of research on this and I`ve been very satisfied with the work I`ve done ... all DIY. No need to fork out hundreds of $$ to 3rd party.

stoopadity,

Manual version price is still speculative ... most say it`s about RM5k cheaper than the auto version so RM77k is most likely to be true (if there`s gonna be a manual version, that is). Waiting period for me to get auto silver was 1 week from date of paying deposit. 3 days to get loan papers ready, 2 days for Puspakom inspection, 1 day for registration. Damn fast.

shaune

Known Member
Feb 13, 2005
kenso,

what brand are u using now for your ride??

me, currently using Meguire's Techwax for my E46....no complaints

kenso

Jul 25, 2005
PJ
That`s not a bad product to use. But with my car being exposed to the elements almost the entire day, I`d rather use synthetic waxes and sealants which would last longer and yet still give u the shine. Synthetics also allow me to add lots of layers on top to create depth on my silver car so it can be more reflective compared to layering waxes which could dull the paint in the long run.

TODA

Known Member
May 20, 2005
downtheroad
kenso said:
That`s not a bad product to use. But with my car being exposed to the elements almost the entire day, I`d rather use synthetic waxes and sealants which would last longer and yet still give u the shine. Synthetics also allow me to add lots of layers on top to create depth on my silver car so it can be more reflective compared to layering waxes which could dull the paint in the long run.

kenso, mind sharing some tips on waxing or sealants or wateva car care products?

p/s: planning to wait for the speculated manual version of swift.....hehe

TODA

Known Member
May 20, 2005
downtheroad
Vampire said:
I see... I ask them how much is the price of manual version .. The lady boss say 77k and the sales manager say 71k ... hehehe... No codination between them .. IS it true the car more powerful than jazz itself .. Myself not yet test drive the car yet..
was almost in no doubt that this is the most exciting n practical car i can afford.........but when everybody told me the power is like :turtle:

I held back .......but wat the heck, i still wanna test this nice chic myself; mayb later, since manual version might b out........sides, im too itchy to drive an auto.... blahh :dancing2: :rock:

Vampire

Known Member
Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Kenso .... I think small car have their advantage .. Easy carpark, fuel consumption low and save a lot of water when washing the car .. hehehhe ... I takes me to wash my old junk car 2 hours ... Wash untill hands already pain ..

Toda... Yup it is a practical car .. I dont expect the car very powerful .. MOst important the car can reach from one destination to another without any problem. Unless u plan to install bigger rims .. THen the car might move like a snail .. hehehe..

stoopadity

Known Member
May 4, 2004
stoopadity.blogspot.com
looks like a good review for this baby but just wanna double confirm the exact FC for this model?

my gf wanna get this model, so need to get all the information required b4 actualli make the commitment but it seems tat one of my question was left unanswered...

wat is the latest discount given for this model? if there is any...

coz need to know so when this weekend i talk to the salesman, at least i know the market price 1st...

kenso

Jul 25, 2005
PJ
TODA,

I have a silver colored Swift and it being a light colored car, is more challenging to not only make it shine, but also have optical clarity to the point where objects are reflected off the surface of the car body in a clear, definitive manner. Light colored car have no depth hence it is relatively hard to see ur reflection (as opposed to dark colored car) even after hours of polish and waxing. Therefore, to increase depth, u need to add layers and layers of sealants on top. This is contrary to dark colored cars which needs waxes to bring out the shine. Good waxes contain carnuaba (a type of tree) and the more carnauba it has (and depending on grade), the more expensive it is. Waxes glow and that`s the secret of dark colored detailing but the shine actually comes from the oils added to the wax. Once the oil wears off, u`ll have a dull paint on ur car (an undesirable side effect of layering waxes). Therefore, I go for synthetic waxes such as sealants.

The more layers of sealants u have, the more it will shine, especially under fluorescent lighting. A well detailed light colored car parked at a mamak shop will snatch ur breath away .... light would bounce off it in ways that if u were to park another similar model and colored car next to it, the detailed car seems to have a different color coat ... more brighter, shinier .... a mouth-watering WET look. Sealants normally need a few hours to set before u can apply another layer on top otherwise all ur hardwork will go to waste. During those hours, u`d better pray there's no rain. Sealants shouldn`t be disturbed during the bonding process. How many layers would be good? Depends on how much depth u want ur car to be. Once u`ve achieved the depth u desire (I`m thinking of going for a double digit coat), u can then finish off with a nice coat of wax.

Sealants are transparent .... when u apply, u shouldn`t be able to see it`s trace even though it`s there (which makes ppl not used to them infuriating. Is it there? Is it not there?). Sealants also do not bead water (which a lot of ppl use as an indication to see if any detailing is done). But at least the more (layers) sealants u have on ur car, the better ur car would look (not the other way around with natural waxes).

I subscribe to the saying, "90% preparation, 10% execution". Without proper prepping, whatever quality products in ur hands wouldn`t work well. I do the following:

1. Rinse car
2. Shampoo car
3. Rinse off shampoo
4. Clay the car using clay bar with shampoo as lubricant
5. Dry car with microfibre towel
6. Apply cleaner/polisher. Buff off panel by panel as u move along
7. Apply wax (either synthetic or natural). Buff off panel by panel as u move along

It takes me 2 hours to complete the whole process for my Swift. Here are the results:

kenso

Jul 25, 2005
PJ
Vampire,

Strange enough, I find the Swift powerful enough already. Took it up to Genting recently and the only cars I couldn`t overtake were taxies!

stoopadity,

I can`t give u exact FC because I`ve only pumped petrol 3 times over the past 1 month (reason: my wife doesn`t drive far ... just to work and back home). But from what I see, Swift`s full tank is 42 (or is it 43?) litres. I`ve achieved 450km and used only 36 litres. Theoratically, should be able to achieve 500km per full tank but have not tried that because been trying to determine how much time it would take accelerating from 0-100kph (whenever I get to drive the car). FC would suck under those driving conditions. Still, I was glad to note that when I took over the car from my wife last night for a short spin, it hit almost 300km with only half tank gone.

As for discounts, there isn`t any. There are simply 2 variants. Standard and premium. Standard is approx. RM82k while u add RM5k for the extra V-Kool tint and leather seats for premium (which is higher than what u could get if u send the car in to do it urself). Smart dealers declare ur purchase as premium even though u`re going for standard in order to get a higher loan so that u oni pay 5% (instead of the usual 10%) deposit.

Last edited:

TODA

Known Member
May 20, 2005
downtheroad
Kenso, appreciate very much for ur effort 2 enlighten me.... can really tell how much detail u put 2wards ur car.......
jz some more questions; can a newbie achieve the same results? how much would I need 2 invest...my car is dark-colored

vampire, i dont expect this car 2 b any pocket rocket but at least it should b wat a 1.5L should b, or slightly better since it has VVT......

p/s: keeping my fingers cross for a manual

kenso

Jul 25, 2005
PJ
TODA said:
Kenso, appreciate very much for ur effort 2 enlighten me.... can really tell how much detail u put 2wards ur car.......
jz some more questions; can a newbie achieve the same results? how much would I need 2 invest...my car is dark-colored
TODA,

I just started doing detailing on my car just 1 month after owning it so yes, any newbie can achieve the same results depending on how commited u are. I try to wash my car as often as I can (approx once every 2-3 days), I do my own application of waxes sealants (which is as easy as any 3 year old boy can do). How much do u need to spend? Before I answer that, remember this: car detailing is 90% preparation 10% execution. If u prep the surfacing using the wrong method before waxing, u`re either going to waste the products or end up causing damage ie. swirl marks on ur car. So get ur method of washing, polishing and waxing right first before doing anything. Personally, I`ve spent about RM300 to get the results I`ve posted. The products should last me at least 1 year. There are some other stuffs I haven`t got yet but as u can see, u can already have quite a nice, shiny car.

Last edited:

Vampire

Known Member
Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Kenso ...U cant compare teksi driver .. THey remember the genting road better than us .. Got racing line there ... Not like me after passing each corner always heading to the side of the wall from gotong jaya to genting..

Wah that kind of FC consider quite good already compare with my current car ... I wish my mom will give a green light soon .. JUst love the car..

TODA ... Which colour u pick ? FOr me Black colour is a nightmare for me. Looks nice but very hard to take care. FIrst bird droping must avoid and rain water.

TODA

Known Member
May 20, 2005
downtheroad
kenso, so how d i know if i get it right? <-- now this bcame my 1st concern

vampire, err...either blue or black, i always c a black one near my workplace, which looks good! blue is my colour, as they fengshui boook sayzz