ICE questions... :)

anep

Known Member
Jun 27, 2005
subang airport
hey ya!

54321 said:
oh haha.... ok... erm.. if i got a woffer how they test the amp for me?? they take the woofer from my car n show me in their car or how? erm... btw what calicer amp you using?? the 4 channel 2kW tht 1?
yes the one in the thread one, and i just use it for my single 12'' sub (caliber revolution), it's damn powerful enuff for me larr...........
but now my bass in my car is damn loud i have to add another maybe some speakers in the front. in the back i have four speaker already, (recently i've change car, so all my sepakers does'nt have enough space to put in)
back about u the shop, they have their way to test the amp for u, but try to buy a branded one leee.......
u won't regret it.

Last edited:

Known Member
Mar 6, 2005
aiyo... everyone also want branded lar... budget not enough lar... haha... really cannot tahan already.. how much you bought tht caliber amp ar?

bem69

Known Member
Feb 7, 2005
Scuse me, just piggyback this thread, since god knows why the forum says I have duplicate threads in the ICE forums while I don't see even one coming up.

Does ICE cause a certain amount of power loss for your car?

I'm not sure if its just me, but after installing a woofer and an amp, my car feels slightly sluggish. Is this just my imagination or? If this is true, then how can I resolve this problem? Currently have a Votech VS installed, will it be better if I installed grounding cables?

Pjam

Known Member
May 31, 2005
sj
.. there were some dispute whether grounding cable & voltage stabiliser can increase a car's HP.. usually there are cases where the head light with be dimmed when the audio volume is cranked up higher.. but power loss that affect the car's performance, psychology effect, perhaps? ;)

cacin

1,000 RPM
Mar 9, 2005
Penang
Visit site
When you say power loss, does it mean power in HP or power related to voltage? If you have a subwoofer and like to play music with very low note, maybe an audio capacitor will help.

Your ICE will drain more juice from your electrical system. So, maybe this is one of the reason. Since nowadays, most modern car rely on electronics.

One more thing is, with ICE, you are adding more weight to your car. Maybe that's why some power loss (HP) is occuring.

Just a newbie opinion though.

Known Member
Mar 6, 2005
erm.... wanna ask something... is caliber a branded or is caliber amp a good and reliable amp?

Pjam

Known Member
May 31, 2005
sj
have not tried their products.. caliber user will do justice to comment on their products.. i think its better to look at the specs of the amp.. caliber's products are relatively affordable here, that's why there's a lot of interest.. 1st of all is whether the power ratings suit the drivers u r gonna use, eg. nominal rms per channel, peak etc..
eg. lightning audio is branded but their bolt range of products don't attract good reviews...
here's some basic guide extracted/ edited from an expect on what to look 4 in an amp..

1. Damping Factor
Damping factor describes an amplifiers ability to control a woofer cone. It's the ratio of rated load impedance to the internal impedance of an amplifier.
The higher the damping factor the more efficiently an amplifier can control unwanted movement of the speaker coil. High damping factor is crucial for subwoofers and the higher the damping factor the better. It is debatable if anything over 50 is audible. The damping factor will decrease as the speakers impedance decreases. This means an amp optimised at 4 ohms will provide tighter bass than when they're running at 2 ohms.
A lower damping factor will leave bass notes sounding soft and undefined, regardless of the amplifiers power output. You can see by this that a smaller 100 watt amplifier with a high damping factor can often sound better than one twice it's size with a low damping factor.

2. Slew Rate
Sometimes referred to as damping factor for tweeters, the slew rate describes the amplifiers ability to accurately control fast direction changes of a speaker cone or dome. Measured in volts per microsecond, a low slew rate softens the definition of a sound signal which blurs transients and causes the sound to appear muddy. A high slew rate means the amp responses faster which ultimately results in crystal clear highs.

3. Total harmonic distortion
THD is the measurement of the how much the amplifier can distort the sound signal through the introduction of added harmonics or overtones.
THD figures are usually given as percentages and a THD figure below 1% are generally inaudible to most people. However, distortion is a cumulative phenomenon so if your head unit, eq, crossover and amplifier are all rated at less than 1%THD each, together they could produce 5%THD which may well be noticeable to most of you.

4.Signal to noise ratio
Noise leaking into the sound signal is an ever present problem in car audio. The Signal to noise ratio is a measurement of noise level in the amplifier compared to the level of the signal. A higher S/N ratio signifies a greater difference which is better. Technically speaking, it's the ratio expressed in dB of signal power at a reference point in a circuit to the noise information that would exist if the signal were removed (the noise floor). The maximum signal to noise ratio of the amp can be seen as a measure of realistic fidelity. This ratio is how much absolute noise it produces compared to the highest signal voltage it can pass without distortion.

5. Stereo separation.
This refers to the amplifiers ability to maintain the separation between the right and left channels. This is essentially what allows an amplifier to reproduce an accurate sound stage.
Each individual instrument is after all, are recorded in it's own location in the sound stage and you should be able to hear this in the same way when it's played in your car.

Loading is another issue to consider. Watch the impedance of speakers when choosing them because while most amps are stable at low impedance levels, they're not overly efficient nor performing 100% when loaded down.
Many amps are 2 and 1 ohm stable but this is for intermittent spikes (as music is dynamic it causes the speakers resistance to continuously change during playback), not continous everyday running.

Known Member
Mar 6, 2005
walaneh... very the precise explanation... the pro has sound... hehe..

bem69

Known Member
Feb 7, 2005
What I feel is as if my car response is slower. Hmm, might be the added weight perhaps, but this is more to my car acceleration. My car is a 10 year old Wira a/b btw.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I was parking my car at taman sentosa during last weekend(sunday 01/08/2010)
Estimate from 6.30pm-8.30pm. The broke my driver side window.
Lost 1 AVCR black color with stand ,
sensor & solenoid safe , so anyone seem any fishy seller selling an APEXi AVCR black with short wire with stand but without the extension wire/sensor/solenoid kindly contact me...
Nothing to say , this is my 3rd time or maybe can say 4th time got car broken ,
2pcs pioneer hu , RSM blue ...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience