Tested Swift, but need some opinion

mikeho

Known Member
Jun 4, 2005
PJ
Hi all gurus,

I just tested the Swift and basically I quite like the road holding and handling. Overall, the car is quite good, but abit underpower. But, I still have some drawback for this car because mainly on the after sale service and spare part(maintenance). Is Suzuki reliable? I know is a Jap car. Btw, what engine is this?

Just wondering, anyone can highlight to me how is the maintenance for this car? I have no history owning a on Suzuki car before, thus really having doubts here. And, according to the sales guy, the Swift comes with 3 years warranty and 2 years maintenance free. Is this true?

Thanks.

max911

Known Member
Feb 19, 2005
Visit site
what r u waiting 4 just book the swift not easy 4 people to decide on buying this car as the slogan said suzuki is the way of life cheer my young padawan may the force b with u........

AE111_SEG

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2005
Putra Heights
Hi,
I also test drove the suzuki swift and here is my review.
1) Price = 5 Stars
Why = RM82K the nearest competitor is Jazz which is a whoapping RM20K more. Is it more worth it to fork out extra RM20k for H Badge? . If Extra RM5K i can understand. Maybe H
has more features.... well no it doesnt. Really to ask for additional RM 20K is asking alot . So Swift wins in terms of price.
2) Space = 4 Stars Cos
Why = The boot is small but hey then again this a supermini, dont expect camry size boot. I am 6 feet 4 and head room in swift is excellent. I would have given a 5 star if the leg room behind was a bit more.

3) Driveability = 5 Stars
Why = Very tidy handling and very fun to drive.
Good thing abt this car it is a all rounded meaning it is very good in the city as well as at home on the highway which where small cars tend to lose out.

4) Specs = 4 Stars
Why = ABS, EBD, Airbags, 15' Rim Built in CD.
I would have given a 5 star if it had rear disk brake.

5) Design = 5 Star
Why = Best looking super minis to come out of Japan.

6) Quality = 5 Star
Why = Toyota standard plastic quallity.

7) After Sales = 4 Star
Why = All suzuki dealer are 3S center.
Furthermore now Suzuki is in the capable hand on Suzuki Malaysia which is under DRB Hicom. So no need to worry to much. Then again this is a Japanese car thus no need to worry about reliablility. I didnt give 5 stars cos dunno parts cost.

Well this is my brief write up on the new car. let wait for the official test drive and comparo with Jazz. :D

cyclonite

500 RPM
Nov 27, 2003
Hey guys I also tested the Swift just yesterday and here's my opinion.

The car is a very basic bare minimal japanese car. It only has basic features which every other japanese car has, such as power side mirrors, 4 power windows, power steering, dual airbag, ABS, single disc CD player. It probably has the same features the Perodua MyVi has. Even Gen-2 has more features.

Downside.... the car needs lots of revs to perform and the shifting of the auto box wasn't too efficient. I had to manually play with the gears to push the car hard. Simply put, the gearbox doesn't kickdown automatically when you need it to. Remember that Suzuki makes the FASTEST vehicles on the planet. Their latest 2005 model bike can go from 0 - 100km/h in just 3 seconds. Maybe this is why their engines are normally tuned for torque curve at high revs.

Handling wise, the chasis dynamics are good, it gives a good balance of comfort vs stability for a car of it's size and build. Power steering is good enough. Taking the car around high speed corners is fun, tyres screech but the car slides in a controllable manner. The back end doesn't kick out easily.

Safety wise the car is very good. It scored 5 out of 5 in one of the Japan safety standard test. I'm sure the chasis is safer than other japanese make of it's class.

The BIGGEST DOWNSIDE to the car then is it's price. For 82k(or 86k for the premier version) you can get a much more technologically advanced vios or honda city, at least the city has high tech features such as CVT box and i-DSI engine, G-CON suspension control, etc.etc.
Remember the Swift is just a bare minimal basic japanese car, no fancy features like those and yet it's priced to much.

After sales service shouldn't be a problem coz there won't be many users of this car so you wouldn't have to wait very long (in my opinion)

I think it's a fun, small compact car which will be fun to drive around town, quite sporty also lah.

mikeho

Known Member
Jun 4, 2005
PJ
CBU from Jepun

alexz

500 RPM
Nov 22, 2004
Visit site
would be very interesting if they bring in the 3 door version too!

mikeho

Known Member
Jun 4, 2005
PJ
anyone know what is the wheel PCD for Swift?

AE111_SEG

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2005
Putra Heights
Hi,
The resale value will not be good as a Toyota or a Honda
But at least you get to drive a car that is unique and exciting.
If you worry about resale value then buy a vios. There are plenty on the road and if you dont mod then it does not look special. :D

acbc

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
KD
Vios / Altis / City = hot cars for thieves because good resale value.

Jun 15, 2005
Penang
Hi guy if you read my test drive experience in low yat forum, you will know that the roof top echo was terribly loud for this car. As I happen to test it out during raining day :D

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

pls...advise

anyone has dynoed 4g92p auto tranny? may i know hw mch is the hp on wheel?any sifus outhere who tied before...thx.. :regular_smile:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience