Lamborghini lifts the lid on new V12 engine

Dinesh

500 RPM
Oct 13, 2006

Ever since the first Lambo with a V12 rolled off the factory floor, every subsequent model that has had a dozen cylinders in the rear up to today more or less has had a variation of that same V12 from the 1960’s. That’s a very long shelve life for a powerplant.

Finally, the Murcielago replacement that is supposedly named the Aventador, will be powered by an all-new V12 developed in-house at Sant’Agata and mated to a lightweight dual-rod gearbox capable of quick shift times.

As has been reported before, the new engine will be a 6.5-liter naturally aspirated V12 code named internally as L539. Power output stands at 700hp@8,250rpm and 690Nm of torque @5,500rpm.

The cylinder banks are separated at 60 degrees and the engine is a very compact unit, measuring in at 665mm tall, 848mm wide and 784mm in length. On the inside, the cylinders have a bore of 95mm with the stroke standing at 76.5mm. Weight saving is the name of the game here, with the crankshaft hardened by nitride and weighing in at a scant 24.6kg. In fact, the entire engine itself weighs just 234kg.

Transferring power to all four wheels from the new powerplant will be an ISR (Independent Shifting Rods) transmission. Unlike reported previously, the transmission is not a dual clutch unit but instead features two independent shifting rods and is capable of shift times almost 50 per cent quicker than standard dual-clutch setup.

The concept of the dual rods work in similar fashion to a dual clutch gearbox, with the next rod engaging the following gear as the current one disengages from the running gear. The weight saving theme was played out here too, with the entire gearbox weighing just 70kg.

There will be three driving modes available, Strada, Sport and Corsa, with the latter being the high-performance mode and inclusive of launch control.

<object width="480" height="385">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NR-nfIrAdUc?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></object>

<object width="480" height="385">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qw3QIxVQ8t4?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></object>

Source: Lamborghini

Attachments

sixtythree

Known Member
Nov 18, 2003
Huh...the ISR made manual and torque converter g/boxes seem soooo yesterday :p

Charles

I brake very late....
Jan 7, 2004
Kota Kinabalu
Had the pleasure to sit in a Murcie and was later offered to have a mild go....one word....exhilarating...no words can describe it less the owner gets bored of it.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I just got my Honda CT NightHawk black pearl yesterday What can I say ... its juz CLASSY, ELEGENT, SEXY ...den my SA brought me to his place to install the VKool tint and also gave a car wash ... but when i got home I noticed minor scratches onn my car!! WTF ... i shud have washed it myself ... damn hati sakit man ...

Anyway, My questions are:

1. What type of cloth should I use to WASH, DRY my car? As i dun wanna scratch the paint lo. Can gimme some types of suitable cloths as well...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience