Car Buying Advice!

butterfly31

Oct 14, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hi guys, need help from the pros - I am the typical girl-who-only-know-how-to-switch-on-and-drive. I just sold my 5 year old Proton Gen2 after it started giving me problems, now looking for a new car and want to try and get the best deal.

My only criteria is a decent size engine (nothing under 1.3 cause need to climb hill on my way to work!), and something relatively easy to maintain, not much problem - cause I always kena tipu when I go to the mechanic. My budget is about RM100K with RM20K deposit (but if a bit over, can get my parents to 'donate' some money la hehehe)

I don't mind new car or secondhand car, as long as can take loan (monthly installment no more than 1k a month, if can get lower better!), and is relatively low maintenance. I am not fussy about cars (as long as got 4 wheels, auto, and can get me through traffic jams!) but if I can afford, I prefer bigger cars like SUV and 4WD :)

I know the normal cars like the Vios and the City are quite good for my budget, but quite boring lah! Wondering if anyone else has any suggestion since I don't know very much about cars.

Thanks for your help (in advance)!

jiusan

Known Member
Feb 13, 2008
if u want something special and a bigger sized , can get honda HRV not CRV yah ..
but these cars are hard to find .
price seems to not exceed your budget but good or not depends since only 2nd hand .

myvi suits as well .... powerful even its auto / or a perodua kenari which will suffer a bit if its loaded with passengers

2nd hand sports car is up for grabs for your budget but not easy to maintain/mechanic might make you a fool

if you can find one , a nissan cefiro 2.0 will be great and around rm30k-35k
spacious and powerful , maintainence is easy but you really must get a good one

JINEIL2EN

Over 10,000 RPM!
Sep 6, 2004
Island Of Pearl
team99ers.2.forumer.com
Dear ms butterfly31,
my suggestion will b Civic 2.0L(new=129k, used=rm106k) or Chevrolet Cruze 1.8L(new=98k).
both of them oso less prob & if u wan honest, sincere & nice mech, just call me. my workshop is at PJ SS3 7 Seapark.
We using genuine parts only, and will using the aftermarket parts upon request.
1 more thing, i welcome u to join the TT(yam cha session), so u can learn more bout car...

P/S: i'm ready to help... just PM me if got any other question regarding to the 2 car models i mention at above...

Thanks..:love:

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
Hi guys, need help from the pros - I am the typical girl-who-only-know-how-to-switch-on-and-drive. I just sold my 5 year old Proton Gen2 after it started giving me problems, now looking for a new car and want to try and get the best deal.

My only criteria is a decent size engine (nothing under 1.3 cause need to climb hill on my way to work!), and something relatively easy to maintain, not much problem - cause I always kena tipu when I go to the mechanic. My budget is about RM100K with RM20K deposit (but if a bit over, can get my parents to 'donate' some money la hehehe)

I don't mind new car or secondhand car, as long as can take loan (monthly installment no more than 1k a month, if can get lower better!), and is relatively low maintenance. I am not fussy about cars (as long as got 4 wheels, auto, and can get me through traffic jams!) but if I can afford, I prefer bigger cars like SUV and 4WD :)

I know the normal cars like the Vios and the City are quite good for my budget, but quite boring lah! Wondering if anyone else has any suggestion since I don't know very much about cars.

Thanks for your help (in advance)!
doesnt sound like a girl who doesnt know stuffs about cars to me, lol. pm if u need help to search and check the conditions on cars sir, err.. ma'am (rarely use dis laa in zth), i highly suggest sumthing conti for ur application; frugal and easy to maintain, maintenance isnt as expensive as sum says they are. pm for more details err, tq ma'am

yeehau86

Helmet Clan
Feb 10, 2007
Honda Freed? something new in the market :driver:

butterfly31

Oct 14, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
myvi suits as well .... powerful even its auto / or a perodua kenari which will suffer a bit if its loaded with passengers

2nd hand sports car is up for grabs for your budget but not easy to maintain/mechanic might make you a fool

if you can find one , a nissan cefiro 2.0 will be great and around rm30k-35k
spacious and powerful , maintainence is easy but you really must get a good one
Thanks for the advice Jiusan, but I think I want to avoid local cars, I hear a lot of people complain about the unreliability of local cars, and having driven a Gen2 for 5 years and having to spend almost 6k before I sold it (everything also rosak!), I think no local cars la.

I was actually looking at maybe RX8 or an older Fairlady, but like you said la, maintenance very high and my bf said for sure I will kena kawkaw from mechanics.

Will keep in mind your suggestion re: the cefiro. Can get so cheap meh?

---------- Post added at 04:35 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:26 PM ----------

JINEIL2EN,

I quite like the Civic but if brand new a bit too expensive (want to ask donation from parents - if a lot they will hijack my car haha), and used civic (2 year old) still more than 100k no?

The Chevrolet is quite interesting - look a bit similar to my old Gen2 tho hahahahaha

Thanks for the offer, but a bit far from me lah, I live in Ampang. Last time I used to work in Damansara, kena tipu kawkaw from my mechanic in Uptown.

---------- Post added at 04:39 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:35 PM ----------

xtremeleo,

Thanks for the offer! Much appreciated! I would LOVE a Conti car but its expensive no?

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
on the contrary ma'am, they are cheaper den most jap's. and usually is a better people carrier, higher torque comparatively within the same capacity; which leads to better fc in long distances, more stable and safer imo.

butterfly31

Oct 14, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
xtremeleo,

I agree with you on the more stable and great people carrier - I used to drive a 2.0 VW Beetle and I loved that car with all my heart. No idea what torque is LoL but sounds impressive. Any particular continental cars that I should take into consideration?

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
puegeot and citroen come to mind when asked about conti ma'am, they produce good cars. vee dub definitely makes good cars, torque is indeed impressive (lets save the explanation for later, or pm for more details, lol)

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
wahlau...how come i didnt notice this thread? :banghead:

Butterfly31...welcome to ZTH...i humbly recommend the kia forte. the 2.0 top of the line is only rm93,800 OTR and has all the extras a 130k car will give. it's got the looks, the power and so far, nobody's been complaining about it.

full spec list:
* Automatic Tranmission
* Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
* Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBD)
* Cornering Brake Control (CBC)
* Brake Assist System (BAS)
* Anti Lock Brake System (ABS)
* Traction Control System (TCS)
* 17” Alloy Rim
* Rear Brake Disc
* Radio 6 CD changer /MP3/USB/IPOD
* Dual Air Bags & Active Head Rest
* Side Curtain Air Bags
* UV Cut Glass
* Leather Steering
* Telescopic Steering
* Keyless Entry System
* Electronic Chromic Mirror (E.C.M)
* Fully Auto Air Conditioner System (F.A.T.C)
* Rear Parking Assist System
* Button Start & Smart Key System
* Front Fog Lamps
* IPOD cable
* Motor Driving Power Steering (MDPS)
* Leather Seat
...but if u plan to get something more sporty...i think a lot of the forummers here can start recommending some very nice used cars

xtremeleo...ma'am? hahaha never seen u use that before. wished could see u saying that more often tho

Jin....damn. u damn fast. really must call u master :rofl:

Danz...how come u so fast wan?y never recommend the forte to butterfly?

butterfly31

Oct 14, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hi Arturo - Thanks for the very warm welcome! I'm feeling the lurve from the forummers, I really am :) Been cracking my head in my little corner for ages now and still no answer. Now cheque from my car buyer has finally cleared and its time to seriously get cracking!

I actually do really like the Forte - looks wise, it has the same feel as a more expensive car. But I'm not sure how good Kia cars are - some have told me to just forget the local brands (And the Kia got lumped in there, not sure why).

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Salam & Hi to all ZTH forumers,
My office mate car was stolen last nite 25/3/2012.
Stolen at seri kinabalu, wangsa maju, seksyen 10. Last seen at 11pm last nite.
Plate reg. number JFT 1551 White, Evo6 Engine, Evo6 Bodykit.
If u seen this car please call police or my fren directly Amir at 019-233 4441
Tqvm.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience