different between bhp,hp and torque

kumar22mostwanted

1,500 RPM
Jan 9, 2010
HELL!!!
torque is can roughly be described as the cars acceleration lah in like street terms
torque in the long run produces bhp
and bhp in the long run means higher top speed and better track times(not always coz of other issues such as handling etc)

hachiroku clan

500 RPM
Oct 16, 2008
if im not mistaken:
BHP : a) brake horsepower, numbers taken from an engine dyno / flywheel horsepower..
b) a petrol station name :hmmmm:

HP : horsepower rating usually taken from the wheel ( BHP minus the hp loss in transmission and other moving parts caused by friction)
a.k.a wheel horsepower..

TORQUE : in layman's term, its twisting power..

if u want higher top speed, u need to gain horsepower, coz u'll need the power to maintain your speed..

increase torque? turbo lah hehehe <-- noob answer

Last edited:

soundfreak22nd

Apr 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
is that any diference between petrol car torque and diesel car torque?

Ford focus specifications shows that is has 134 horsepower and 320Nm of torque generated by the 2.0L diesel turbo engine. Please advice.

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
there isnt any different because the unit is the same, 134hp=134hp, for diesel or torque sir. the difference is how 1. they are delivered 2. what rpm both peak at

a diesel usually peaks its torque from low to mid, so it pulls better there compared to a petrol dat peaks its power at the end of the revv. a 320Nm at the earlier part of the revv may be able to pull heavy load ie trailer better, compared to the petrol of the same peak torque value but located at the end of the revv range. in fact, dat petrol version may not be able to pull a load dat the diesel can

i prefer torque btw, so a diesel turbo for me please..

kumar22mostwanted

1,500 RPM
Jan 9, 2010
HELL!!!
there isnt any different because the unit is the same, 134hp=134hp, for diesel or torque sir. the difference is how 1. they are delivered 2. what rpm both peak at

a diesel usually peaks its torque from low to mid, so it pulls better there compared to a petrol dat peaks its power at the end of the revv. a 320Nm at the earlier part of the revv may be able to pull heavy load ie trailer better, compared to the petrol of the same peak torque value but located at the end of the revv range. in fact, dat petrol version may not be able to pull a load dat the diesel can

me too love torqueier engine
and even more chun if two wheel drive then confirm wheelspin and smokes everywhere when u launch from traffic lights heeheh :biggrin:
but make sure got enough $$$ for tayar shop

kissbutt

Feb 14, 2009
wow great topic.. mind if someone shed some light on power to weight ratio concept.. in relation to bhp/hp/torque??

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
its just logical sir, a car dat has a bigger power to weight ratio accelerates better then those with lower numbers in the respective matter, if only dat particular car can transmit sufficient traction to the ground. there are a number of reasons on y the veyron has a "mere" power to weight ratio compared to sum other supercars, but accelerates faster and have the top of the line top speed. it needs d weight to sustain stability and to stay planted on the ground, and using an engine delivered down from heavens (no, iam kidding sir..) producing power / torque dat is able to split the earth into two (iam exaggerating again sir..) allowing it to overcome d weight issue and do the century dash nearly under 2 seconds.

phew!!! iam usually worked up when discussing about the best car in the universe, seriously!!! thinking about all those aircraft technologies in a car gives me goose bumps,wowowowo

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Diesel engines are not meant for high revving so peak torque is always at very low revs. If you need to haul heavy load...you will benefit from a engine with good torque at low revs because torque is the twisting power of an engine to overcome inertia or friction. HP is the power to keep things moving.

soundfreak22nd

Apr 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

Thanks bro.. so that ford focus have near same torque as an evo?? 3++Nm...

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
the pull depends on how the torque is delivered and where it peaks out, different curve pull different fyi

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi

i thinking of changing my brakepad to better one...
(front disc rear drum)

so.. any reccomendation?
what is the price range?

i wan to change front together with rear
and padd them in.. so it become balance..

appreciate your opinions..
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience