balancer shaft removal

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
the risks are stated on this thread sir, i havent done dis mod on any car, i dont think its needed. it sounds cheap maybe because ur engine is already down sir.

dont get me wrong, dis will free up sum horses, no doubt but its not needed on street machines imo. iam speaking generally here..

spuzzle

500 RPM
Aug 23, 2005
Kuantan / Perth
the risks are stated on this thread sir, i havent done dis mod on any car, i dont think its needed. it sounds cheap maybe because ur engine is already down sir.

dont get me wrong, dis will free up sum horses, no doubt but its not needed on street machines imo. iam speaking generally here..
as i know the risk of getting oil pump failure are fr those who cut the shaft...do u mind to elaborate more pls

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
maybe iam thinking conventionally, looking at the function of dat balancer shaft, it balances the dynamic circular movement of the crankshaft assembly, to avoid resonance and vibration dat wud also rob power. so, when u remove dis, imo u need to fully balance the whole internal assembly, which will add more to the cost, which is y i said not worth the trouble and cost, since u can spend dat amount of money on sumthing else dat can provide more power ie turbo, management. i dunno if the tuner posted in dis thread rebalance the engine dynamically but from my pov, u need to perform dat especially if u wanna make power in the higher end of the revv. at least dats my opinion, like i said ive never seen the need to perform dis. the best dat i can think of is to lighten the shaft and rebalance the whole assembly.

maybe i got the wrong idea on the true function of the balancer shaft?

spuzzle

500 RPM
Aug 23, 2005
Kuantan / Perth
maybe iam thinking conventionally, looking at the function of dat balancer shaft, it balances the dynamic circular movement of the crankshaft assembly, to avoid resonance and vibration dat wud also rob power. so, when u remove dis, imo u need to fully balance the whole internal assembly, which will add more to the cost, which is y i said not worth the trouble and cost, since u can spend dat amount of money on sumthing else dat can provide more power ie turbo, management. i dunno if the tuner posted in dis thread rebalance the engine dynamically but from my pov, u need to perform dat especially if u wanna make power in the higher end of the revv. at least dats my opinion, like i said ive never seen the need to perform dis. the best dat i can think of is to lighten the shaft and rebalance the whole assembly.

maybe i got the wrong idea on the true function of the balancer shaft?

totally agree with some of your points, good info....thx

jameswwt

1,000 RPM
Mar 7, 2008
I have sent my oem bs for machining today.
Here are some pro's and con's by using the bs eliminator kit which ive gather thru internet :

The good
• More HP to the wheels
• Zero chance the balance shaft belt will fail and kill the timing belt
• Zero chance the balance shaft bearings will fail and damage the rest of the motor
• More oil pressure to the rest of the motor
The bad
• More vibration is felt in side the car (no more is made, just more is felt)
• More oil pressure to the rest of the motor, which is usually too much. Extra work to get the oil pressure back in spec.

Everything seem advantage on the eliminator kit, but ive choose to remain oem.

spuzzle

500 RPM
Aug 23, 2005
Kuantan / Perth
I have sent my oem bs for machining today.
Here are some pro's and con's by using the bs eliminator kit which ive gather thru internet :

The good
• More HP to the wheels
• Zero chance the balance shaft belt will fail and kill the timing belt
• Zero chance the balance shaft bearings will fail and damage the rest of the motor
• More oil pressure to the rest of the motor
The bad
• More vibration is felt in side the car (no more is made, just more is felt)
• More oil pressure to the rest of the motor, which is usually too much. Extra work to get the oil pressure back in spec.

Everything seem advantage on the eliminator kit, but ive choose to remain oem.
james, what engine u using?

vrlution

500 RPM
Nov 15, 2006
this balancer problem, alway happen to vr4 engine, im use vr4 engine around 10 year already not major problem but, 2010 got one problem when first start engine at da morning and high rpm cos cool engine and got weird sound like balancer shaft ....all my mate vr4 was remove balancer shaft and no sound like knocking....happen again....do dat at srimuda...shah alam....but my engine still not revome bcos busy......if want to remove my advise dont just takeout belt only.....rightway all balancer remove out....if not damage ur engine problem come one by one like killer series....haaaa......

Last edited:

jameswwt

1,000 RPM
Mar 7, 2008
Evo 5...Dam...Im still in a delima on whether should i maintain the oem balance shaft????
Ahhhhhhhhhhh.....................Scary......

Last edited:

ftzone

full throttle zone
Feb 21, 2005
Penang, Prai
www.ftzoneracing.com
I've seen 2 EVOS had the balancer belt snap and ruin the cylinder head. In one of the case the piston was cracked by the brutal impact with the valve.

After that the balancer shaft was removed and replaced with an aftermarket unit from USA. The car is in used for track days... so far no issues. The crankshaft was rebalance of course.

jameswwt

1,000 RPM
Mar 7, 2008
I've seen 2 EVOS had the balancer belt snap and ruin the cylinder head. In one of the case the piston was cracked by the brutal impact with the valve.

After that the balancer shaft was removed and replaced with an aftermarket unit from USA. The car is in used for track days... so far no issues. The crankshaft was rebalance of course.
Hi Ftzone, now im really scare after view yr sharing....Dam,ive done my crank balancing and i wonder will it be to late for me to put in the Eliminator Kit now???

spuzzle

500 RPM
Aug 23, 2005
Kuantan / Perth

before, i had problem with my balancer belt too but lucky enough because it dint ruin up my timing belt...that is why my mech advise me to remove the shaft

ftzone

full throttle zone
Feb 21, 2005
Penang, Prai
www.ftzoneracing.com
Hi Ftzone, now im really scare after view yr sharing....Dam,ive done my crank balancing and i wonder will it be to late for me to put in the Eliminator Kit now???
Well... i would suggest you use an aftermarket harmonic damper to go with the eliminator kit. Brands like ATI or Fluidampr is a good choice for high powered 4G63.

jameswwt

1,000 RPM
Mar 7, 2008
Well... i would suggest you use an aftermarket harmonic damper to go with the eliminator kit. Brands like ATI or Fluidampr is a good choice for high powered 4G63.
But ive send my oem bs for polishing and bought new bearings.
So,i have to give it a try maintaining the oem setup...:driver:
Keeping my finger crossing...

Btw, do you have any pics for sharing?

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
y do u need to worry if the balance shaft is still there as the oem intended? we have a 360hp evo3 and it never give any problem, at least not yet. the engine is very smooth in operation dat u wud not know its running just by looking at it, if sumthing dynamic is as balance as that, i dont see y it wud any problem. vibration and harmonics has always been the culprit in structures and machines, i dont think sumthing dat balances any system perfectly does anything bad rather then, in dis application, robs lil amount of power from the engine.

jameswwt

1,000 RPM
Mar 7, 2008
y do u need to worry if the balance shaft is still there as the oem intended? we have a 360hp evo3 and it never give any problem, at least not yet. the engine is very smooth in operation dat u wud not know its running just by looking at it, if sumthing dynamic is as balance as that, i dont see y it wud any problem. vibration and harmonics has always been the culprit in structures and machines, i dont think sumthing dat balances any system perfectly does anything bad rather then, in dis application, robs lil amount of power from the engine.
Wow...its so comforting for yr sharing...hehehe (joking)
Yup,i am concern and doubtful as whether to maintain the oem bs or not bcos some say the oem bs bearings might will give way and ruin the pump and the rods bearings.
Thereby,by eliminating the oem bs this possibility will be "0".

Anyway,im glad to see someone share abt the reliability of maintaining the oem bs...:proud:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hye.. i'm new to this forum and this is debut thread.. Senang cerita i'm a newbie la.. hahaha.. :regular_smile:

ok straight to the point.. My father just hand over his car to me the honda accord cb5.. The car is good condition and totally standard.. i need some advise about doing the mod for this car.. preferly for the performance first.. can somebody guide my what to do.. thanks..
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience