4AGE Blacktop half cut

gabriel880619

Aug 12, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hi, guys, I am new here, and this is the first time posting up :) so forgive me if any mistake made.

I wanted to find a half cut for Blacktop, but have no idea where to find and no idea how much is it. For your information, I'm in PJ.

Anyone can share me information about Blacktop? 5 speed better or 6 speed better? And how to check out the condition of it? and the most important, the price of it will be about how much

Thanks a lot :)

cuscostrutbrace

500 RPM
Jul 10, 2004
Almost more than 50% of halfcut shop in KL should have BT halfcut,you can go and look around. 6 speed is better..

n0th1n

1,000 RPM
Feb 7, 2005
japan
junk-dealer.blogspot.com
cuscostrutbrace sifu, u ur self dont want to find one?
5 speed transmission is better, why? because lots of after market gearing options. hihihih

seg 7138

Known Member
Oct 13, 2008
6 speed better......why? because ....................i love it......................

ragerunner

Known Member
Mar 1, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hi Gabriel, welcome the the ZTH Toyota Community =)

I'm no sifu or expert, but I'll try to answer your questions to my best. FYI, my car has recently undergone a Blacktop conversion as well so that actually makes me a newbie.:rolleyes:

Like sifu cuscostrutbrace has said, most of the chopshops in KL should have BT halfcuts. It's a matter of calling them up to ask, or going to search for them. There are many chopshops within traveling distance from PJ, especially in Subang, Sunway and Puchong. Here's something that should help:
List of chop shops

What information do you need about Blacktop? There's way too much to tell.:biggrin: Actually, I think you'll find pretty much what you're looking for about Blacktop in the forums because many of the Toyota taikors and sifu's here are using the same engine, so just look through the thread and use the search button. =)

5 speed or 6 speed better? It depends on what you consider "better". Speaking from my experience, 6 speed is definitely fun to drive because you have more gears to choose from:driver:, and technically speaking, 6 speed should be faster because of its shorter gear ratios. Then of course, in terms of halfcut price and gearbox price, 6 speed is rather more expensive compared to 5 speed. Apparently, the 6 speed gearbox is more fragile than the 5 speed gearbox as well, so you'll have to shift with care.

About the condition of the halfcut, I can't tell you much because I'm no mechanic myself, but basically it involves looking for a halfcut that actually looks decent (not one that has so much dirt and cobwebs you can't even see the engine cover wordings) and with reasonable mileage, of course the lower the better. You'll also have to ask the chopshop start the engine in the halfcut. I'd recommend you bring your foreman/mechanic along with you to test start the halfcut because he will be better equipped to judge its condition.

The price of the halfcuts is a very difficult question to answer. It really depends on the package you're getting (ie. with or without bodyparts, fuel tank/pump, rear disc brakes, rear absorbers etc), condition of halfcut, the chopshop you're getting the halfcut from, and of course, it also depends on your luck. When I was searching for a halfcut back in May, the price of BT 5 speed halfcut quoted ranged from 3.8k-5k, while BT 6 speed quoted price ranged from 5k-6.5k.

Hope that answers all your questions. =) I'm just trying to help out here because just like you, I also had loads of similar questions when I first started my project, and I was very lucky I could turn to my Corona sifu's for help. All the above is based on my experience and knowledge, so please don't shoot me if I'm wrong, kay :shot:

If you need more info, please do not hesitate to ask the Toyota sifu's in this forum, I'm sure they'd be more than happy to help out. The ZTH Toyota owners are really nice people =)

Last edited:

iamiceman

Known Member
Oct 25, 2006
Puchong
www.icemancollection.com
Hi Gab,

How's your BT transplant going on? I am in the midst of sourcing out 4A-GE engine for my car transplant also. I tried looking for BT but then mechanic says need to modify engine mount. There is another version of 4A-GE 16v, that one no need modify engine mount. So maybe you can teach me a bit and share your experience with me. Btw i am driving a coralla SE (EE90) with ori 2E engine which has now burst :P cheers

nappx

2,000 RPM
Sep 13, 2005
kLaNG-kEy_tEE
iamiceman,

your chasis is EE90. if want to swap the engine, what i'm understand one engine mounting need to change. what is important is you need to find the good mech that have done it before. i'm mean got skill, knowledge and have a art to do it.

same with me my next project EE90 chasis..he he

Captain Fast

Known Member
Apr 9, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
hi gabriel, welcome to the toyota community...wish you all the best in your transplant and don't hesitate to ask around if you have any questions as we're all more than happy to help a fellow out...if you're looking for a workshop to do your transplant, i could recommend optima autoworks in pandan indah industrial center...might be a bit far for you but the owner is very nice guy and has loads of experience...i would know as i did my transplant there...

Nov 6, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
hye seniors,

later want to convert too.. hehehe.. now need to maintain ae82 first.. lots of bypass already. hehehe.. (when an engineer buat2 pandai)..

AE101-Wong

4,000 RPM
Jul 26, 2006
Kuala Lumpur
i'm from pj too...ss2 area..
feel free can come out for a cup of tea too...
and also i got 2 units 6speed half cut available in hand...hehhee!!

AE101-Wong

4,000 RPM
Jul 26, 2006
Kuala Lumpur

iamiceman

Known Member
Oct 25, 2006
Puchong
www.icemancollection.com
iamiceman,

your chasis is EE90. if want to swap the engine, what i'm understand one engine mounting need to change. what is important is you need to find the good mech that have done it before. i'm mean got skill, knowledge and have a art to do it.

same with me my next project EE90 chasis..he he
Bro Nappx,

Thanks for the advice. My mech dont recommend me to put in the blacktop as he says might be difficult to clear JPJ. So I end up with a 16v 4A-GE. Probably the red top but not sure yet. Will see the halfcut maybe this Sat...Hope the 16v won't disappointment me. How's your the progress of your project? :D

---------- Post added at 06:41 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 06:39 PM ----------

Ahh...Sifu in the thread. Good day to you Sifu! :adore:

KieD

Apr 22, 2009
iamiceman

16v 4age won't dissapointed u.hav one in my ae80.very satisfied with it after change lightened flywheel.enjoy your 16v4age ;-)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys, me again.

Ive done a lot of research (most of it online) about modding i.e: exhaust, springs, piston boring, camshafts, etc, but Im never sure how much all these will set me back. Lets get an average price shall we? :biggrin:

How much would all these cost individually? on average?

Full exhaust manifold

Open pod/CAI (not cap ayam one ah :biggrin:)

Piston boring

high cam

adjustable cam pulley

adjustable suspension

Larger brakes

feel free to add more...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience