Drama at the 2010 MMER - Lotus 2 Eleven of Team Empire Motorsports goes up in flames

keshy

500 RPM
Dec 12, 2007

The Lotus 2 Eleven of Team Empire Motorsports went up in flames just moments ago. They were in third place before the fire effectively ended another one of the team's MMER outings. Word around the paddock is that one of the drivers and some pit crew are injured, the ambulances have already taken them out for medical care.

The shots were taken from the Media Room. Thought that the MMER was boring? Think again.

Attachments

HKS-GT2835R

1,000 RPM
Apr 25, 2004
kelate
Visit site
Re: Drama at the 2010 MMER - Lotus 2 Eleven of Team Empire Motorsports goes up in fla

aiyarkk...

Qaramil

May 2, 2009
Re: Drama at the 2010 MMER - Lotus 2 Eleven of Team Empire Motorsports goes up in fla

ooo my goshhhhhh....

bombe994

Known Member
Sep 6, 2006
Shah Alam

it really was a scary moment which happened a couple of pits away from ours ... one of the crew was seen lying motionless on the floor and driver ran for safety while being engulfed in flames ...

as a crew, it really gave me a cold feet about being next to the action. but then again, nobody said motorsport is a safe sport ...

---------- Post added at 12:33 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:32 AM ----------

it really was a scary moment which happened a couple of pits away from ours ... one of the crew was seen lying motionless on the floor and driver ran for safety while being engulfed in flames ...

as a crew, it really gave me a cold feet about being next to the action. but then again, nobody said motorsport is a safe sport ...

simonchangwaimun

1,500 RPM
Nov 21, 2003
Cheras
teamshadowrider.multiply.com

after seeing that incident, i had at least 2 guys in standby with fire extinguisher even when we just need to check the fuel line >.<

julian.jules

May 31, 2009

now u know why we wear nomex for racing cars? those who wear kart suits......or any plain overalls, think again!

Get well, all those injured esp my friends in Empire Motorsports.

By the way, the fire started and was put off in less than 30seconds...

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines

now u know why we wear nomex for racing cars? those who wear kart suits......or any plain overalls, think again!

Get well, all those injured esp my friends in Empire Motorsports.

By the way, the fire started and was put off in less than 30seconds...

btw if not mistaken karting suit also from nomex material rite??

ist jsut u need to use proper nomex inside liner...not only just plain suit....

(*actually nomex was a pure cotton in the first place) :biggrin:

fabianyee

Known Member
Jan 9, 2004
Visit site

Normal kart suits are not made of nomex.. Julian is a seasoned gokarter so he should know better.. Since he also has more white hair than most of us here.. hahaha...

bombe994

Known Member
Sep 6, 2006
Shah Alam

btw if not mistaken karting suit also from nomex material rite??

ist jsut u need to use proper nomex inside liner...not only just plain suit....

(*actually nomex was a pure cotton in the first place) :biggrin:
Not really, mate.

Karting and nomex suit might look the same on the outside, but the thing that sets these 2 apart is the fireproof cotton layer sandwiched between the outer layer and the inner lining. And if you notice, karting suit outer layer is much stiffer than nomex suit since the idea is to work like a motorcycle suit, which is to protect you from abrasive injury, not fire injury.

So for those who still use karting suit for car racing, think again. Malang tidak berbau.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines

noted.... :adore:

fabianyee

Known Member
Jan 9, 2004
Visit site

Nomex suits are about 2 or 3 times more expensive than karting suit... And that's becos of the nomex material used...
And Nomex driving gloves are about 2x the price from the non-nomex karting gloves...

And Nomex balaclavas are at least RM100 or more... i like my KingDragon nomex balaclava, it's more cooling than the usual full cotton ones.. I got mine for RM50 from a stock clearance sale.. I think RRP was at least RM100??

angelmelanie86

Aug 9, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

his name is Jordan Saw, one of the pit crew member...He's currently under forced sedation due to the extent of his injuries and will be undergoing surgery today..please pray for him..for speedy recovery.

bombe994

Known Member
Sep 6, 2006
Shah Alam

Our best prayers are dedicated for Jordan's speedy recovery ...

But the credits should be given to the track marshals who braved the danger and put out the fire before even the firemen arrived to the scene ...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Any sifus have experience in decarbonising car engines? Does using bottles of cleansing chemicals work as claimed - whatever the brand?

Any reliable mechanic to do this service in Klang Valley?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience