DIY- How to Find a Parasitic Battery Drain

ayen_s

Jan 21, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I found out my car battery always losing its charge after I leave it overnight. I am sure i did not accidently left the headlight on. Also I just change the battery 2 weeks ago. I think my Gen 2 got a parasitic battery drain. This is my first DIY, so please leave a comment.

I got below procedure from (http://www.wikihow.com/Find-a-Parasitic-Battery-Drain). Add info on what I did for my Gen 2.

Introduction
When your car battery goes dead overnight, usually either the battery is at the end of its life span, or you left something on, such as a light. Occasionally something is drawing power that’s not of your doing. This is a parasitic draw, and it can cause the same result as leaving the headlights on: a dead battery in the morning.

1.Remove the negative side battery cable from the negative battery terminal.

DSCN5744comp.JPG (image)

DSCN5743.JPG (image)

2. Attach an ammeter(this measures amperage) between the negative cable and the negative battery post. Wait a few seconds to several minutes for the car to go into sleep mode - i.e. when you make the contact with the ammeter, the cars computer systems "wake up". After a bit of time they will go back to "sleep".
Writer:
-I cannot verify if my Gen 2 can wake up or sleep.
-Select Ampere DC on my multimeter.
-Connect Multimeter RED probe to -ve cable.
-Connect Multimeter BLACK probe to -ve battery terminal. I use my wife clothes peg to secure probe.

If the ammeter is reading over 25-50 milliamps, something is using too much battery power.
Writer:
My Gen 2 is drawing 1.427A. Too high from above info.

DSCN5745.JPG (image)

3. Go to the fuse panel(s) and remove fuses, one at a time. Pull the main fuses (higher amp ratings)last. Be sure to observe the ammeter after pulling each fuse.

Watch for the ammeter to drop to acceptable drain. The fuse that reduces the drain is the draw. Consult the owners' manual or service manual to find what circuits are on that fuse.

Writer
-There is a fuse puller in the fuse box. I use a long nose plier to pull the fuses. It is easier.
-Found out when I pull out fuse no 24, the current drop from 1.427A to 0.004A.
-Diagram on fuse box cover indicate the fuse is for "Memory"
-Diagram on manual show it for "Radio, Alarm Control Unit, TCU Assy, Ignition key illumination timer, Room lamp,trunk room lamp,door control unit, meter cluster and siren assembly".

DSCN5753.JPG (image)

DSCN5754.JPG (image)

DSCN5752.JPG (image)

4.Check each device (circuit) on that fuse. Stop each lamp, heater, etc. to find the drain.

Repeat steps 1&2 to test your repair. The ammeter will tell you exact numbers.

A parasitic drain is when an electrical device is using battery power when the car is closed, and the ignition key removed. Therefore, when doing this test make sure that the dome light, under hood light, trunk light, etc. are off.

Writer:
-For the time being, i just remove the fuse temporarily.
-Currently my Gen 2 can start and drive normally. All the related component listed sharing fuse 24 are not working. No clock, no alarm, no radio. < --- as long as I can still use the car to go to work, I am fine with it.
-Will check with car electrician to confirm wiring.

For full DIY steps with pictures go to my blog Pimp My Gen2

ftzone

full throttle zone
Feb 21, 2005
Penang, Prai
www.ftzoneracing.com
your alarm set is drawing too much current i suppose. change to an aftermarket unit which uses less current draw while on "arm" mode.

australiankid

Known Member
Oct 7, 2005
Check Whether your car is equipped with captor... if yes try to remove its backup battery

ayen_s

Jan 21, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
My Gen 2 already fitted with BNB after market alarm system. Already take out the original Captor system 1 year ago.

ylkien

Known Member
May 17, 2005
KL/PJ
The current drawn (~1.5A) is quite high.

If it is not the radio or alarm, I'll guess it is the light in the trunk.

RocketMan

Known Member
Mar 23, 2006
Bro, since when u noticed your problem? since u do aftermarket alarm? -specify please.
Or any changes made to your sound system/i.e radio?

I was once baffled with my Gen2 (I was a Gen2 owner) wiring system, when I need to change a number of fuses at least twice a month.
Fed-up, I took 1 day off, strip all the door panel, checked all the wiring path from headlamp to tail lamp, tadaaaa!! u know what i found?

2 strips of wire detected torn (due to wear n tear) near the boot hinges (at the back) - when i closed the boot door, the naked copper touched the metal body of my car, and wallaaa...it become short and burn the fuse.

My suggestion bro, do a detail wiring check including your radio and wiring, there must be a culprit there - wire connection, fuses or the wire itself.

All the best bro!!

adnone0

Known Member
May 18, 2004
i think my fren's Gen-2 also having this problem yearssss ago associated with alarm.He went to SC and claim warranty.Though he complain first about the severe battery drain, then SC checked and confirmed alarm as the cause.

Maxx

2,000 RPM
Feb 17, 2005
PD-Putrajaya-KL
www.zerotohundred.com
Bro, since when u noticed your problem? since u do aftermarket alarm? -specify please.
Or any changes made to your sound system/i.e radio?

I was once baffled with my Gen2 (I was a Gen2 owner) wiring system, when I need to change a number of fuses at least twice a month.
Fed-up, I took 1 day off, strip all the door panel, checked all the wiring path from headlamp to tail lamp, tadaaaa!! u know what i found?

2 strips of wire detected torn (due to wear n tear) near the boot hinges (at the back) - when i closed the boot door, the naked copper touched the metal body of my car, and wallaaa...it become short and burn the fuse.

My suggestion bro, do a detail wiring check including your radio and wiring, there must be a culprit there - wire connection, fuses or the wire itself.

All the best bro!!
same problem i found on my ex boss gen2.
he went to acc shop cause his brake light not working. guess what acc shop do?
they changed all the bulb inside 3rd brake lamp. "working" fine for a day. maybe the acc shop lucky coz the cable didnt shorted that time.

next day my boss ask me to check his car coz brake light not working.
check, the fuse blown. after replaced still blown.
check wiring till back, found out cable torn at bonnet hinged (inside the rubber protector) n touching body.
fixed, no problem after that.

got 30bucks.. hehe :biggrin:

ayen_s

Jan 21, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
PROBLEM SOLVED:

Take out the after market (cheapo) car alarm. Now the car is just drawing 0.09A.

Picture of the culprit.