Advice for new rims

Mad_Jeff

Apr 1, 2010
Gelang Patah
I intend to change a new set of rims from my old ugly original 18" Nissan rims.... God they are hideous.
I have been asking around and it seems that there isn't that much of a choice in the JB market. Either you get an expensive Japanese imported rims or place a spacer to avoid hitting those Brembos.
I would like to know how much did you guys spent on the rims and tires?
And are there any problem with just adding spacers and getting cheaper rims?
Any form of advice or input from fellow Z members are much appreciated.

vampbreak

Known Member
Feb 7, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Mine are stock as well :biggrin: I admire the GTR wheel but since it 20" it seem not practical and god know how much you will spend on new 20" tyre. I wonder if there is a replica GTR wheel but come in 18-19" size. :hmmmm: but for car like Z33, the practical wheel will be minimum 5 spokes and no more than 7. Specially if you have brembo and you want to show them off while driving or stand still :biggrin: Alternatively, you can check the gathering picture and look at some of others Z owners photos. Might give you the idea what they have done with their wheel lor.

Just my 2 cents.

yong972

Known Member
Jun 29, 2009
20" fits like a glove but you will lose some power there ... if you already have any performance mod then its fine ... spacer is needed when your car is wide-bodied ... and definitely replica rims are not that recommended because they are not as durable as the original ones ... ^^

yong972

Known Member
Jun 29, 2009
lolz ... sorry bro ... there is no rims on the market that lookalike the GTR rims ... but i know a lot of GTR owner wanna sell their rims ... and of course they are not cheap ... ^^

Mad_Jeff

Apr 1, 2010
Gelang Patah
How much did you guys paid for the rims and tires package or does the rims come with the car when you bought them? Normally what are the offset that fits the 350Z?

superTRAM

8,000 RPM
Aug 10, 2008
a lot of choices in JB bro:hmmmm: advan, ssr, volk. just call me 0127800617. get the right width n offset, no point using spacer.

Applejuice

Known Member
Nov 27, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
rims are never cheap, but its always a good investment, it makes the car look good and gives you better traction, go for 19" at least and make sure its original from japan, the fake taiwan ones will bend when you hit a pot hole and that would mean you would have to change all four again!

superTRAM

8,000 RPM
Aug 10, 2008
yes thats the fact, u get what u pay for. 19" easily range around 10K but the feeling and syok is priceless. bare in mind if u getting imitation taiwan rim, u go for gathering or meeting fren. then ur fren ask u "bro nice rim, original japan ha? how much u pay" ... then u only reply one word "taiwan"... u go back n cry:mad: next day sure selling the rim already. thats why alot of imitation taiwan rim owner selling after 1-2weeks only.

Last edited:

Mad_Jeff

Apr 1, 2010
Gelang Patah
Thank you guys for all the responses. Truly appreciate it. Guess i have to really tighten up my belt for the next couple of months for those Japanese rims then. If i manage of survive those few months of fasting....... i will give SuperTram a call. 8-)

Techno350Z

Known Member
Sep 25, 2009
penang
Just wonder la...Ray Volks GT-C rim 20" will cost around how much???I'm really interested to know...anyone know the price??thanks....

lanceccs

Jul 3, 2008
I heard rims and tyres are cheaper in SG. Maybe you can look around in SG. Take time to do your research on what you want to achieve. If have a chance to do it all over again, I will go for 18 inch.

ysl

Known Member
Oct 23, 2009
B'worth/Penang
Thank you guys for all the responses. Truly appreciate it. Guess i have to really tighten up my belt for the next couple of months for those Japanese rims then. If i manage of survive those few months of fasting....... i will give SuperTram a call. 8-)
I suggest Yokohama Advan RZ - A true light weight performance wheel; reduce the cost of losing power after upgrade to bigger wheel. Design and built by Yokohama Tire in Japan.

Spec:
Dark Gun metal color
19" 10J Rear and 9J front.
Offset +25 with minimum camber adjust -1.0 degree front and rear.

You need to consider these issues when upgrading new wheel.

1. Many people know that big wheel can allow you to upgrade to bigger brake. Yes, but there is another aspect which most people forget, good brake system comes with bigger and wider caliper. Some wheel design not allow you to have bigger and wider caliper, the problem caused the spoke location and angle; as the result you need to put spacer to you wheel.

2. Regarding power lost in bigger wheel; wheel weight is an issue, not the size, of course bigger wheel normally heavier than smaller wheel. However, there are many famous brand wheel in market made by light weight material; bigger, lighter but tougher. Advan Wheel is one the them.

General rules is every increase of 7lbs in wheel will cost you 1 house power.

3. Offset of the wheel, if your Z is between 2003 and 2006, not 'upgrade' to wide body, make sure your front and rear wheel offset should not less than +22. Stock 18" wheel offset is 30 for both front and rear.

4. Avoid using spacer, it cause handling problem to you car in heavy braking.

5. Wider wheel with wider tire give you more traction / grip on dry road. If you take my advice on the offset; 10J rear and 9J front should be the maximum width of the wheel. FYI, you can fit 275 to 295 tire on 10J wheel, that is more than enough.

I'm not really want to advertise here, but just for your info, this ADVAN RZ is no way to be found in Malaysia (according to my survey in Dec 2009).

If you interest in this wheel, I have 2 sets, 19" and 18", I'm using 18" at the moment. The price is not cheap, 10K per set.

S.O.S

From Facebook
Mar 30, 2010
Hi... how much u want to sell ur 19" rims? might send me photo? Many thxssss...
Steven

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi,

just finished install soundproof to my ride.

tools needed : Pen-knife, ruler(metal), clean cloth, 10mm,12mm spanar..etc, screw driver

Soundproof material : Sikadamp-630 1box 18" x 32" + sikadamp -630 (800mm x 200mm) 5pieces

more at here :
http://huakenny.fotopic.net/c1713518.html
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience