steering vibrates even after balancing and alignment..

scoupe

1,000 RPM
Mar 19, 2005
shah alam
hmmm... assume its the driveshaft problem.. any idea if it can be solved?? things is the original 4agze drive shaft is longer thats y we custom made it to shorter.. hmmm.. anyidea if there is anyshop which can make a gud driveshaft? as for the rims since its an option that is free i should try that out first.. i too have a feeling that i cant be the rack and coloumn prob..

joe2d

Feb 10, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
hmmm... assume its the driveshaft problem.. any idea if it can be solved?? things is the original 4agze drive shaft is longer thats y we custom made it to shorter.. hmmm.. anyidea if there is anyshop which can make a gud driveshaft? as for the rims since its an option that is free i should try that out first.. i too have a feeling that i cant be the rack and coloumn prob..
I think if it really is the driveshaft problem, it might not be that ur customized shaft is not well made or not balanced. But i suspect its because its shorter than original spec. Think about this if the drive shaft is shorter it means the angle its attached from the gearbox to the wheel will be steeper than original. Which means its going to spin off-balance from how it was designed. Just a thought.

scoupe

1,000 RPM
Mar 19, 2005
shah alam
hmmm... it does make some sense.. but if this is the case the problem cannot be solved rite as mt car requires a shorter driveshaft.. could you elaborate more on this? btw just curious u sound like a mechanical engineer.. are u? just wondering..

joe2d

Feb 10, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
hmmm... it does make some sense.. but if this is the case the problem cannot be solved rite as mt car requires a shorter driveshaft.. could you elaborate more on this? btw just curious u sound like a mechanical engineer.. are u? just wondering..
No, im not an engineer. I just have a friend having similar problem b4, his 4AGE 20v is too wide for his AE80 Corolla LE so have to shorten one of the driveshaft as well. After that his car also vibrate like hell. He tried everything, wheel balancing, suspension setup but also din help. Finally we found out its the driveshaft problem coz the driveshaft joint started wearing out. We know its because the shorter driveshaft created a steeper angle between wheel & gearbox. So what he did was shorten the other driveshaft to a similar percentage since both driveshaft r different length. After that the vibration problem is gone. Coz now both driveshaft are balanced again, same proportion as before, so the angle between the gearbox & wheel is similar to original spec. With the driveshaft spinning like how they should be the vibration problem is solved.

But don't just go shorten ur other driveshaft just yet, make sure its really a driveshaft problem 1st. If it is a driveshaft problem look for signs of wear on the modified driveshaft. And make sure you find a good machine shop to shorten the other shaft. This method works for my friend but it might not work for you. So try to consult as many ppl as possible before committing to this method. You've been warned. Good luck!

Rspirit

2,000 RPM
May 6, 2007
I dunno bout driveshafts but ive faced the same problem of steering shaking even after balancing for many times. I finally found the solution to my problem, try interchanging the tires, like right tires to the left one and the left one to the right one. Magically my steering didnt vibrate anymore after changing... Worth a try i guess..

Last edited:

scoupe

1,000 RPM
Mar 19, 2005
shah alam
hmmm.. how did ur friend shorten the other driveshaft? he repositioned the engine?? if in the same position then after shorten it wont be long enough to reach the knuckle right? hmmm.. interchanging tires? these tires were actually bought new though.. bought in nov.. this weekend might see if i can squeeze some time and exchange rims with my friend to see if the problem is still there.. btw, im trying to find out more information on on wheel balancing.. whats the advantage or theory behind it?y does it differ from regular wheel balancing..

joe2d

Feb 10, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
hmmm.. how did ur friend shorten the other driveshaft? he repositioned the engine?? if in the same position then after shorten it wont be long enough to reach the knuckle right? hmmm.. interchanging tires? these tires were actually bought new though.. bought in nov.. this weekend might see if i can squeeze some time and exchange rims with my friend to see if the problem is still there.. btw, im trying to find out more information on on wheel balancing.. whats the advantage or theory behind it?y does it differ from regular wheel balancing..
No he din reposition the engine, and after shortening the driveshaft can still connect to the knuckle since only shorten both driveshaft just a little bit. But that really messed up the camber, have to install camber plate & spend quite some time setting up the suspension.

Wheel balancing just balance one wheel, making sure the wheel spins straight by balancing the centripetal force on both sides of the wheel. On wheel balancing finds out how each wheel actually work on a car on the road. Some times even when a wheel spins straight it might not work on the road. A lot of factor can cause vibration, like tire camber shave, tire uneven wear, weakened or bad quality wheel, or even mismatched tire profile. All these problem can't be fixed on just wheel balancing cause the wheel isn't acted on by outside forces (eg.weight of car) when its being rotated on the balancing machine.

scoupe

1,000 RPM
Mar 19, 2005
shah alam
damm.. its alot of things to consider.. hopefully it wont be too complicated.. since i have a custom driveshaft.. hopefully its a simple thing.. will try out with my frens rims and see.. if that dun work, then will try on wheel balancing.. last resort will be driveshaft..

joe2d

Feb 10, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
damm.. its alot of things to consider.. hopefully it wont be too complicated.. since i have a custom driveshaft.. hopefully its a simple thing.. will try out with my frens rims and see.. if that dun work, then will try on wheel balancing.. last resort will be driveshaft..
You should just do on-wheel balancing 1st, if your tire or wheel have problem, you'll know right away.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

can u please tell me what is the difference between straight flow and S-slow in term of the sound produced

and

oval shape and cylinder shape sound produced

I'm looking for oval shape muffler with not so noisy sound. Loud sound produced only when high rev

and also

what brand of muffler will be better with budget around rm400
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience