DC5 Advice

WAFS

500 RPM
Jan 2, 2005
Ampang
Sizlo, what slick said about the momentum and weight is true. This is because when tyres are loaded to its maximum slip angle (hence max traction), the tyres just slip (and lose grip) so in your case the front tyre has reached it maximum slip angle so the car understeers. However, you are true also that tyres need to be loaded to get grip but only until it reach the tyre slip angle. A tyre slip angle/load graph is linear until it reach maximum and then there's a plateu then it drops. A higher grip tyre has higher limit of slip and has longer plateu. There are also some tyres that has higher limit with short plateu or just drop like racing slick tyre. So it varies with different tyres.

The tyre that you use reached its slip angle fast...so the solution to get a better tyre. Sometimes the suspension of the car is not suitable with some tyres. Like the dc5 suspension it's tuned for the re040 tyres. Although the re040 is an old tyre, but the damper/shock was tuned for it to get a good roll rate with the tyre.

A better shock absorber like turbulence mentioned will have higher roll rate so the load/weight transfer is more controlled, so it makes the tyre reach it's maximum slip later. Get an adjustable shocks/coilover and you can control slightly the damping thus your roll rate. Usually the adjustable will come with higher rating spring and this will give less roll angle too.

Another quick solution is get a ultra-high-performance tyre (UHP) like Yoko Advan Neova AD08, Goodyear Eagle RS Sport, Toyo R1R, Kumho Ecsta XS, Bridgestone Potenze RE01R or RE11, etc. Semi-slick tyres that can be used on the road also can like Toyo R888(but not for wet) These tyres has higher maximum slip and traction.

On the other hand...on car control, when the car understeers, don't turn the steering too much (this makes the tyres reached its maximum slip angle), instead lift-off the throttle to counter the understeer. Then when the car is back on its cornering line gently press the throttle and drive. If it doesn't comes back when you lift-off then it's your tyres or suspension setup that you need to change. Maybe you already know this but I just mentioned just in case.

---------- Post added at 05:13 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 04:22 PM ----------

Understeer - Front slip angle > Rear slip angle
Oversteer - Rear slip angle > Front slip angle
Neutral steer - Front slip angle = Rear slip angle

Other terms,
Understeer - More steering angle needed in a turn
Oversteer - Less steering angle needed in a turn

hasukyo

500 RPM
Feb 26, 2008
I believe it's a combination of the wet conditions, your tyres and the fact that you are going downhill.
Going downhill into corners, your front tyres has to deal with so much of weight and momentum thrown towards the front when you brake.

My DC5 handles quite poorly in wet conditions too, am using AD08s.
Wheels always slips when vtec opens.
wa aaron using ad08, how's the tire ? and how much u got it?

i've experience power sliding on tight corner in wet before...since that i scared to drive fast on
wet condition..the car understeer so bad till nearly hit motorcycle beside me. using re001 tire that time..

aja

4,000 RPM
Dec 3, 2003
Guys,

Wanna ask if the owner of blue DC5 WSC**** is here. Just wanna bump him since we both has a good convoy on the KESAS Hway from Bkt.Jalil towards Klang this evening!. hehehehe

SnooPDoGGY

1,500 RPM
Mar 23, 2005
TwoForties
Visit site
Hi guys,

I just wanna share my latest experience with my DC5 going up and down Genting Road. So it was kinda late that i decided to go for a ride up the hill. The road was a bit wet due to some downpours earlier, the sun was already out then. Going up was very fun, pushing the limit of the car with some understeers, which i found was minor issues.

Then going down was a bit scary. I passed by a few cars and up to a corner, put down to gear two, i put down about 50%of throttle and the car started to understeer and i lost balance. I was practically sliding to the left when taking a right corner. At that point, a taxi was right in front of me on the slow lane. As the car badly understeered i tried to counter the wheel the other way, as if i was drifting, but my bad was not to play with the gas, so the car was still not properly undercontrolled. Luckily i didnt hit the taxi on my left. But as my car swerved back to the right side, i was ready to hit the wall and suffer all the consequences thereafter. Do note that at this moment i was doing around 30-40 km/h going downhill, which i thought was an OK speed. Even if i hit the wall, i believed the destruction won't be too bad but i was more concerned on other people's safety; ie cars behind me. God was on my side, i didn't hit any wall/taxi nor did the DC5 sustain any injury.

My question is what makes the car understeered so bad? I also found that taking corner are getting scarier the more i drives. I lost my confidence whenever i see wet road + corners. Some more it's raining almost every evening these days and when i push on the throttle when taking corners the car will lose it's traction and swerve again. This is not an FR! BTW the car is completely stock with M7 exhaust, intake, brakepad + PZERO Nero 225/45ZR17 with 70% thread. I suspect the tires must have something to do with it, but i bet there are more reasons behind it. Should i change the suspension?

Wish for anyone who have similar experiences can share with us here and also suggest any modification i should do on the car. Thanks.
YES...

u shud upgrade the suspension...

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:52 PM ----------

wa aaron using ad08, how's the tire ? and how much u got it?

i've experience power sliding on tight corner in wet before...since that i scared to drive fast on
wet condition..the car understeer so bad till nearly hit motorcycle beside me. using re001 tire that time..
Ya la... aaron...

do they have in 18"???

miahahahhahaahaha...

lightningfield

2,000 RPM
Dec 29, 2004
Johor Bahru
www.ef-honda.com
YES...

u shud upgrade the suspension...

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:52 PM ----------

Ya la... aaron...

do they have in 18"???

miahahahhahaahaha...
woi...R888 baru beli dah havis ke???? :thefinger:

sizlo

Dec 24, 2007
Anyone care to share what absorber you are using and how does it fare?
How much for a set of tein flex?
I think for a quick fix, i'll try to get a pair of UHP for the front tyres.

Massive_InfusioN

Known Member
Jan 18, 2006
Selangor
[/COLOR]Understeer - Front slip angle > Rear slip angle
Oversteer - Rear slip angle > Front slip angle
Neutral steer - Front slip angle = Rear slip angle

Other terms,
Understeer - More steering angle needed in a turn
Oversteer - Less steering angle needed in a turn
Thats right, same as my case much improved drives to genting when I retuned my suspension setting to match the conering amount Like what Farouk said in the earlier post on camber degree and height of the car to gain optimum conering balance. Thus a good suspension setup + tires is a must to drive fast & safely to Genting.

Places like genting where the corners and slope degree demands a good set of suspension & tires if you need to drive fast safely. But also a good training ground to familiarize with your car's characteristics.

Therefore, be prepared and do it safely.... :biggrin:

subcon

1,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2005
Turn 5
Anyone care to share what absorber you are using and how does it fare?
How much for a set of tein flex?
I think for a quick fix, i'll try to get a pair of UHP for the front tyres.
im selling my used tein flex...RM2000 and its yours!!:biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi all you guys and gals! I have previously posted on the forum regarding an airbrushing showroom opening in Sunway's tuning haven, well i want to let you all know that there will be special promotional prices for all members of zerotohundred.com so why don't you drop by Nitro Designs at no 35 jalan PJS11/18. We are behind the DaiIchi and Amoil row, so come on over to make your rides look awesome!
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience