350z is not an ideal car for track?

ysl

Known Member
Oct 23, 2009
B'worth/Penang
350z is not an ideal car for track????

Most people told me that 350z can never perform well in track. Maybe is true because I hardly see 350z in SIC in any trackday.

Well, I’m diehard to 350z, from Auto Transmission, I change to Manual, and did some necessary mod to make it just good enough for track, however the fastest time I ever made is 2:48 and mostly 2:5x, while other friend in EVO and FD2R can easily 10+ seconds better than me.

I admit the fact that I’m not a skillful driver. Well, no sifu beside me and just bit by bit learn from mistake. But, I wonder how fast 350z ever performs in SIC?

Nevertheless, I would like to clarify the myth saying about 350z is not ideal for track. Hopefully, all Z enthusiasts can share your opinion and contribute your comment here, and hopefully we can make our Z a better machine in track.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

HBS

Known Member
Apr 23, 2009
Not good if you running standard OEM JDM part like me....:biggrin:

the standard brake is quite...well,hopeless for 4-5 laps since the car is heavy.I guess that where the lightweight car really shine on the corner.

Speed cut....since you cant take advantage of the straight line,especially before turn 15 & start/finish straight.I have done at least 240km/h+ a few time with my bike & my Z can only going for 188 km/h or less before I hitting the limiter...:banghead:

Knowing line is good for lap time improvement.I also like you,not a pro driver or rider even after attended both session for quite sometimes.

But I not really bother about time....I just going to have fun in track,since I dont want to break the law hahahaha:biggrin:

lanceccs

Jul 3, 2008
Don't play down a Z, Z is good for its own purpose. If you compare (stock or almost stock) Z to outright track cars (stock or almost stock) like Civic Type R, WRX and Evo, you would definately be disappointed.

Stock Z is built and marketed as a Luxury Sports Car, it is
- Heavier ~1600 KG, compare to 1200-1500 KGs for the above listed track cars
- Lower Power to Weight ratio
- RWD compared to the 4 or FWD for the above listed track cars
- Taller gear ratio
- Handling compromised slighty for comfort compared the above listed track cars

You can configure your Z to be more trackable to get good track time at SIC, comparable to WRX/EVO in your league but you will need to do a lot more and cost a lot than just changing to manual trans.

and BTW I strongly believe one reason why there are few reason why there are less Z in SIC, and one of the reason is

It is less affordable to track a Z.

ysl

Known Member
Oct 23, 2009
B'worth/Penang
Z problem's that mentioned above can be solved easily.

Brake - Change to Brembo or other after market caliper, racing brake pad and rotors
Underpower - install supercharger or turbo
Speedcut - install SLD or reflash ECU.
Handling - change antiroll bar and suspension.

Chiba Kooji

Known Member
Jan 1, 2010
Johor Bahru
My own opinion
52:48 car weight
It is very good advantage in track specially RWD + 50:50 is more sharp reaction in cornering
but GT300 champion Z33 is using VQ30DETT, not VQ35
some say tat nissan using turbo car go GT race but selling NA car jus like cheating on us
VQ30DETT ori 470 bhp
VQ35DE ori 287bhp
but anyway I saw the top gear
same racer using Z33, RX-8, EVO8, Subaru
Still same Z33 hit the best time attack in most of the japan car
and also I also agree tat Z33 not the ideal car for track
cos Z33 modified part is more expensive than other evo subaru (in msia)
some times even brake pad also hard to find in JB
anyway jus enjoy driving Z33~^^

I also own a Manual Fairlady~^^
next time come JB we can make fren
very hard to find Manual Fairlady in JB~

ysl

Known Member
Oct 23, 2009
B'worth/Penang
Good information from you. I think besides engine, Z33 handling need to be improved a lot for track purpose. I have replaced mine with Cusco antiroll bar and Tein Mono Flex suspension system, but still there a lot of body roll during corner, probably is because the car is too heavy. Anyone have other suggestion for me to improve further?

Hard to find Manual Z33 in Penang as well, and I suppose hard to find manual Z33 everywhere in Malaysia.

Last edited:

HBS

Known Member
Apr 23, 2009
Good information from you. I think besides engine, Z33 handling need to be improved a lot for track purpose. I have replaced mine with Cusco antiroll bar and Tein Mono Flex suspension system, but still there a lot of body roll during corner, probably is because the car is too heavy. Anyone have other suggestion for me to improve further?

Hard to find Manual Z33 in Penang as well, and I suppose hard to find manual Z33 everywhere in Malaysia.
Yes.....the body roll is quite extreme.at least for standard suspension since my Z is tracked with all stock parts.Perhaps because the car weight....& I always forgot to remove spare tyre when going for track attack..:rolleyes:

& yes the manual Z & any other sportscar that have AT & MT tranny,you will likely to find more of AT version than the MT because of our country traffic jam.....:rolleyes:

I also glad to have a manual Z.....never regret about that & very lucky to spot one with complete good all stock bone condition as well.

ysl

Known Member
Oct 23, 2009
B'worth/Penang
Yes, I got Cusco LSD installed, but it doesn't help on body roll. What I mean of bodyroll is the car body leans outwards during hard corner. LSD and camber can't improve bodyroll, but they reduce a lot of oversteer.

ysl

Known Member
Oct 23, 2009
B'worth/Penang
From What i know, the fairlady that goes into SuperGT is no longer fairlady except the look.

mazranz

Sepang Circuit Staff
Mar 16, 2004
Pee Jay
mazranz.smugmug.com
to counter the body roll you need stiffer springs, but then the ride gets hard(er). Maybe can keep the same shocks.

---------- Post added at 05:29 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:22 PM ----------

From What i know, the fairlady that goes into SuperGT is no longer fairlady except the look.
Yeah, I think it has a V8 engine in it... only the shell is Z

gobiz

500 RPM
May 16, 2004
KL
Visit site
How heavy is a 350Z? Maybe power:weight not so good?

ysl

Known Member
Oct 23, 2009
B'worth/Penang
My latest finding shows that 350z power-weight ratio is NOT a problem. See table attached.

Data compiled from:
1. carfolio.com
2. fastestlaps.com
3. Wikipedia.com

Attachments

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

i hv any alarm...wif shock sensor...so...when i "armed" or lock the door..the alarm.... den after 5 second...d alarm.."BEEP"....my fren say my shock sensor rosak...can any1 help...me...? how 2 repair d shock sensor...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience