Which the GPS Navigation you like best?

risahe

Feb 3, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
www.epathchina.com
GPS navigator is very useful,I think everyone all must have it when you go to a unknown country.
but which the GPS Navigation you think is the best?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeff86ks

Known Member
Apr 11, 2006
in malaysia/singapore/SEA - Garmin
the rest - TomTom

LOL..

Azu MET008

Known Member
May 28, 2009
can share the costing...

Thinking to get 1 unit.

Thanks in advance friend:wavey:

FVel

500 RPM
Feb 5, 2007
garmin for me...

but sometime it guide me to long way......
Under the Navigation Options you should check your avoidance settings and make sure U-turn avoidance is not enabled. For route preference settings you can try 'Shorter distance' instead of 'Faster time'.

All in all, it's still a machine and wouldn't match a good human guide, but still far better than getting hopelessly lost

---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:32 PM ----------

By the way, GPS is useless without good maps.

The default Garmin maps are in one word 'shit'.

The best maps for Malaysia is from Malfreemaps. Free, updated every Monday and covers Malaysia, Singapore and most of Southern Thailand

My ASEAN Free GPS Map Project • View topic - Free Malaysia & Singapore GPS Map: MFM-Garmin 100222
My ASEAN Free GPS Map Project • View topic - MFM-Garmin Installation Step by Step Guide
My ASEAN Free GPS Map Project • View topic - Tips for first time Nuvi users

jpoplover

7,000 RPM
Jul 24, 2009
Nilai
Under the Navigation Options you should check your avoidance settings and make sure U-turn avoidance is not enabled. For route preference settings you can try 'Shorter distance' instead of 'Faster time'.

All in all, it's still a machine and wouldn't match a good human guide, but still far better than getting hopelessly lost

---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:32 PM ----------

By the way, GPS is useless without good maps.

The default Garmin maps are in one word 'shit'.

The best maps for Malaysia is from Malfreemaps. Free, updated every Monday and covers Malaysia, Singapore and most of Southern Thailand

My ASEAN Free GPS Map Project • View topic - Free Malaysia & Singapore GPS Map: MFM-Garmin 100222
My ASEAN Free GPS Map Project • View topic - MFM-Garmin Installation Step by Step Guide
My ASEAN Free GPS Map Project • View topic - Tips for first time Nuvi users
thanks for all the info above...

i already update my garmin map from the website u introduce..
nice... more detail can show up in my garmin...:biggrin:

FVel

500 RPM
Feb 5, 2007
Just checking, but did you disable Malsingmaps and other default Garmin maps before enabling the MFM maps ? It's best you enable only the MFM maps otherwise there is a possibility of different maps clashing.

Go to Tools>Settings>Map>Map Info

Tick all the boxes corresponding to MFM maps. Untick everything else

jpoplover

7,000 RPM
Jul 24, 2009
Nilai
Just checking, but did you disable Malsingmaps and other default Garmin maps before enabling the MFM maps ? It's best you enable only the MFM maps otherwise there is a possibility of different maps clashing.

Go to Tools>Settings>Map>Map Info

Tick all the boxes corresponding to MFM maps. Untick everything else
thanks for the remind.. ya i already done it:adore:

darahhitam

2,000 RPM
Oct 4, 2004
KL
www.cardomain.com
Just got my hand on my very first unit of GPS, the Garmin Nuvi 205 last week from Curve's Garmin outlet. Used a Nuvi 765 (my brother in law's) for about a day a couple of months ago, and has been in love with one ever since.

It's been great, still playing around to gain more understanding on how it works (while GPS is off) but I notice that searching by address is NOT easy using default maps, and nothing beats locating one using coordinates, so I still need to googlemap certain places beforehand, just to look for coordinates.
Yet to download latest maps from the links since I notice the default maps are quite outdated - 'fret that it will harm the unit, or will it not? Maybe soon then.

FVel

500 RPM
Feb 5, 2007
It's been great, still playing around to gain more understanding on how it works (while GPS is off) but I notice that searching by address is NOT easy using default maps, and nothing beats locating one using coordinates, so I still need to googlemap certain places beforehand, just to look for coordinates.

Yet to download latest maps from the links since I notice the default maps are quite outdated - 'fret that it will harm the unit, or will it not? Maybe soon then.
MFM maps will not harm your Garmin.

If anything MFM maps are by far the best maps for your Garmin unit. The level of detail and information packed into their Southern Thailand-Malaysia-Singapore maps is astounding. I doubt you will even want to look at other maps after you used MFM.

Best of all MFM is updated every Monday and absolutely free.

Default maps are shit. It's no wonder you are not able to find anything using the default maps. They are hoplessly outdated and very very lacking in detail.

Most of the time searching by street address will work but sometimes it won't because I found search engine is a bit quirky. One neat trick you can do is to search via 'Points of Interest' Menu.

From the garmin menu, go to the following sub-menus
1. Where To ?
2. Points of Interest (POI)
3. Spell name

Enter the keywords to name of the street or POI
Let the unit finish searching. Sometimes it takes a while but it will list down all the locations with the keyword. For example, if you are looking for Shell at MRR2 Highway, just type MRR2 or Shell MRR2. Obviously with the default maps, you cannot do most of this because there painfully little detail on the defaultmaps.

You really need to get MFM maps if you want to see the full potential of your Garmin

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Some fans complain that the newer muscle cars don't match up to it's glorious days in the past. So, Motortrend is able to bring back it's older ancestors to compare against its newer brethren . Enjoy this nostalgic video of the Old meets the New. Star cars include a 2011 Camaro SS against the '69 Camaro SS396 that inspired its design; a 2011 Challenger SRT8 meets the '70 Challenger it so faithfully resembles...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience