3-Stage VTEC--COMPREHENSIVE INFO ON D15B/D15z7

terryhendra

Known Member
Dec 15, 2004
Hi, used to be on a non-vtec D15B7 with manual tranny...stock engine is quite good and easily hits top speed of around 205kmph....My experience with running this engine is that the most difficult thing to find is the ECU depending on your wiring and retuning it after u add on aftermarket parts...most of the D series people would do a mini-me or BOT depending on your budget and requirement.

But if u have the budget, BOT is the best way to gain since it already has a cast-iron block...all u need are the BOT kit, forged pistons, big CC injectors and a standalone ECU for better fine tuning....

SYeNi69

Known Member
Jun 27, 2006
TTDI KL
Thx guys for posting ... :wavey:

Somthing to share with fellow forumers ... Anybody willing to make in bulk ??? i will buy one confirm !!! hehehe ... But then if stick this sure alot of proton campro & mivec cucuk blakang :P

One more ...

---------- Post added at 02:11 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:39 AM ----------

Luka - i did .. matter of fact i did join a few honda tt's and when i took a ride in an EK 4 door with a stock B16A i was like WTF !!! is that all ??? for almost 10k in total my friend spent for the swap ... to me it was a waste ... if dumped in a D-series and go turbo ... he would be much happier ... even as of now when i meet him he will always swear about Campros ... but then his engine is stock la ... he voiced his regrets for not putting in a B16B or B18C5 ... But thoose with B16B's and B18C5 ... well syok abit la but the amount of money spent ...:banghead: and once u play VTec its very hard to stay stock ... :P

SAO - bro if wanna change to manual must change ECU ka ??? konfirm ??? if true ... haiyaa this foreman giving me false hope la .. saying only need to change GB ... cause i asked him about ECU he said no need ... :confused:

To Thoose who want to go Turbo

i found some info on the net of how to settle the conrod snapping/patah/bengkok issue at a cheap and proven method ... its fact that the rods on D15/D16 are thin and snaps easily ...

1. This is what most of the guys in US do .. Buy eagle Rods ... price in ebay is around 400USD ... expensive ... i wonder where i can check out the price here in m'sia ?? N1 ?? Amoil ?? maybe cheaper la ...

2. Remove ur conrod and try to find another cars conrod that will slightly match the length of the OEM one ... make sure its thicker or comes from a turbo car ... have a proper machine shop to machine and match them up ... this involves the semi circle where u place ur rod bearings ...

Happy Modding !!! Vtec but sohc :biggrin: .... :driver:

Last edited:

SAO 6418

Known Member
Jun 11, 2005
Ipoh
Terryhendra,
All honda block is made of alloy, not cast iron.

Syeni69,
Ohhh.... ur pormen is rite. No need change ecu, still can perform but not as optimise as manual ecu (fuel mapping a bit diffrent i guess). After u install manual g/box (better get those sohc vtec g/box - the closest ratio u can get), juz throw away the auto ecu (not the main ecu) then violaa...

But have to remember:listen:, ek3 wiring is extremely sensitive especially the ecu part, so have to be careful. Sometimes check light pop out showing some engine sensor 'kong' but at the end ecu wiring lose, kick the ecu few times then bek to normal liao...:banghead:

Sohc vtec also not cheap bro (i mean performance parts), everything have to source oversea, u also will be very lucky if u can find at chop shop. Let say u throw 5k to mod ur N/A D15B, at the end still loss to B16A. If u say 5k on BOT not enuf pulak, hantam few times engine kaboom coz not enuf preparation on engine.

Anyway juz my opinion saja lah ok, no heart feeling. Sohc vtec quite fun also but provided in the light chassis car. Like me last time, can follow those 95' accord wif H22A manual :thefinger:

cad843

Known Member
Mar 23, 2005
Oita Ken
For the past 2 year, I'm using EK3 single cam D15b engine with original chasis EK3 year 99. I bought the car somewhere in 2004 with the mileage around 65k and using it until almost 210k and dont facing any major prob.

I agree its a good engine too. With minor mods can satisfied for daily driving unless u look for high rev engine such b series. I still have the engine with manual trans and also the ECU (ori EK3 manual) ... anybody interested .... let me know.

BTW ... for fuel efficiency ... I recommend this engine since I managed to clock 460km for full tank around RM75 with normal drive / city drive below 110km/h.

tigger5251

Known Member
Sep 18, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
Just bear in mind when you are living with SOHC or DOHC.

SOHC power focus on 2000rpm-5000rpm, wherehein the torque respond is the quickest if your engine is below 2000cc.

DOHC power focus on mid to high rev 3000-7000rpm.

As for VTEC dohc, the power kicks in 6000-9000rpm which was rated one of the most powerful 1600cc NA ever lived, BUT is has NO torque at low end at all. It's a street to track race car, it CANNOT hillclimb unless you want to overheat n overkill the engine.

Hence, now you understand both SOHC and DOHC has different potential in different kind of driving. As for parts and maintenance wise, its your choice to make, to get the common B16A engine which is more popular in Msia (coz you lives here, not USA), or to build your lesser popular D-series engine which is still good.

The trick is, to use the simplest method to gain the power you want. If you build ur D engine with a turbo, B16A surely canot beat u up genting with steep hill climb. And if you choose B16A, u can beat alot cars 0-100kmh on a flat road.

But everything still relies on tuning, the choosing of the correct turbo, correct boost, and most importantly, THE CORRECT TUNER. But I will frankly says, nothing beats turbo, if you know how to use a turbo.

As for me, I never own any Vtec, but I do have alot frens with VTEC. I personally rebuilt a simple DOHC 2200cc with stage 3 mods, spent 7-8k, now smoking alot street vtecs and also hill climb. For me, I archieved what I want, which is 180nm wheel torque at 3200rpm, and 200nm at 5,500. Very low HP only.....

Last edited:

white_flame

From Facebook
Jan 20, 2010
Petaling Jaya
www.facebook.com
3-stage VTEC? my friend has an EK3 with that.. seems pretty cool but seeing it scream woefully at 7k saddens me.. especially the sad CVT gearbox. CVT really kills those who have the hearts to buff up their cars.

Big[V]

Known Member
Jun 8, 2006
hehehehe ... i have searched alot though thoose american forums .. and from my investigation hehehe ... there is one malaysian by the nick BIG[V] in these forums that seems to know alot about d-series engine ... wonder if he is here in ZTH hehehe ... please reveal yourself :nurse: we need ur help :nurse:

You and me both bro ... btw .. bro ur gb same like mine ... wonder if u use the S mode often ... hehehe ...

come on where are all the SOHC honda owners !!! :listen:

p.s. just got my ass handed to me by a stock neo cps ... haiyaaaa ... not good ... :banghead:
campro also gettin fast nowadays ... :banghead:
need to start modding ... :nurse:

Thx for posting guys/sifu's ... will put the dohc vtec under consideration ... :biggrin:
Looking for me? lol

Anyway was browsing around seems we do have some SOHC VTEC lovers here haha.

Though I haven't swapped to manual yet but I've been doing some background research on this for some time. But basically it boils down to this:

1. Manual swap + VAFC + tuning + other mods might cost roughly 4K. With that you're looking around no more than 150ps. That's around 100ps/l and to me it's an acceptable level for that little 4 banger.

2. VTEC at 5100-5200rpms feels ok to me.

3. If want to go beyond 100ps/l, stock motor may not withstand that kind of stress especially pushing close to 200ps. Looking for 200ps again is another whole different ball park. Either a hardcore rebuild like Bisimoto or turbo it.

There's a Japanese guy whom turboed his 3 stage VTEC CVT close to 200ps + VAFC + tuning and strangely enough he said that Honda Japan advised the CVT can take 200ps! He's using bone stock motor and STOCK injectors. Owner also says it gives the Altezza with 6mt 3S motor a run for it's money lol.

YouTube- civic cvt  turbo D15B 0-100kï½

4. If you are maintaining stock rev limit i.e. 7200rpms, EG S20 manual gearbox is ok. Compared to 7200rpms with EG gearbox and 8200rpms for B16A 4.4 FD gearbox is almost the same scale wise. i.e.

D15B 2nd gear @ 7200rpms = B16A 2nd gear @ 8200rpms = close to 100km/h

5. An interesting mod is to swap a D16 block with 3 stage VTEC head and actually that motor exists. It's called D16W8 and only available in the Philipines. Same 130ps but better low end torque.

Still SOHC VTEC pound for pound will never beat DOHC VTEC as to least, both are for totally different reasons. Even if you could, cost of doing so would obviously surpass swapping a DOHC VTEC.

But for whatever it is worth, it's not a bad motor to have fun with. Just dun challenge taiko DOHC VTEC la. :biggrin:

Last edited:

donCityZ

2,000 RPM
Feb 8, 2006
D15 series mid and hi cam is available at Powerzone.

But true, modding a D series costs will be too much. Better off do a swap with B series which is abundant. (Power-money ratio wise)

camp

Known Member
Mar 22, 2006
Just wondering for our local D16, ie ej9 how much horses for this engine?

Big[V]

Known Member
Jun 8, 2006
D15 series mid and hi cam is available at Powerzone.

But true, modding a D series costs will be too much. Better off do a swap with B series which is abundant. (Power-money ratio wise)
For which D15B engine is for the high cam? single or dual stage? I would presume it is only for single stage as I have no come across aftermarket cam specifically for dual stage yet.

---------- Post added at 05:36 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:29 PM ----------

Just wondering for our local D16, ie ej9 how much horses for this engine?
D16A VTEC would be around 130ps also with slightly lower rev limit and higher and earlier torque than D15B VTEC.

There is basically 3 types of D16A available but I dunno whether all three is available locally. From observation looks like we only have option 1 & 2.

1. D16A VTEC (Wild cam)
2. D16A Non VTEC (normal 16V 4 banger)
3. D16A VTEC-E (lean burn)

There is another called Civic HX using LPG on D16A but only available in the States.

Last edited:

camp

Known Member
Mar 22, 2006
[/QUOTE]D16A VTEC would be around 130ps also with slightly lower rev limit and higher and earlier torque than D15B VTEC.

There is basically 3 types of D16A available but I dunno whether all three is available locally. From observation looks like we only have option 1 & 2.

1. D16A VTEC (Wild cam)

There is another called Civic HX using LPG on D16A but only available in the States.[/QUOTE]

Bro tq for the info...can you explain more about D16A Vtec (wild cam), wild cam what it is?

Last edited:

SYeNi69

Known Member
Jun 27, 2006
TTDI KL
Wow BigV is really in ZTH lol ... with the same icon also ... hahaahah ...

Big[V]

Known Member
Jun 8, 2006
D16A VTEC would be around 130ps also with slightly lower rev limit and higher and earlier torque than D15B VTEC.

1. D16A VTEC (Wild cam)

There is another called Civic HX using LPG on D16A but only available in the States.[/QUOTE]

Bro tq for the info...can you explain more about D16A Vtec (wild cam), wild cam what it is?[/QUOTE]

Wild cam means high output cam like EG8 D15B at 130ps.

Got VTEC-E type around 115ps but it's for economical driving.

stormlcc

500 RPM
Nov 5, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
www.beastarkaraoke.com.my
hi guys, still playing around with your D series engine? I'm going to purchase a cheap old civic EF from my cousin. it will be used by me and my family for 100% town use. it's still using the standard carb engine, and i'm planning to swap in a D15B motor with auto GB for comfort, easy to use, economy and also some power (compared to the carb motor this is much much better). I dont want to swap B series engine because it's quite expensive and defeats the purpose because this is not going to be used in spirited runs, it's only used as my spare family car. So is this engine really that good (for my purpose) and is spare parts easy and cheap to find nowadays? since i seldom hear ppl swap this engine into their civics (mostly go for B series)

thank you for your kind reply

Big[V]

Known Member
Jun 8, 2006
u can slap in any d series motor in but if you are thinking of putting d15b 3 stage + CVT, some chassis & undercarriage work is required to clear the massive cvt gearbox as the EF engine bay space is limited.

From carb based convert to EFI it's a hefty process. Make sure you get all the required components before you start. The last thing you'd want to do is frantically looking for parts when suddenly faced a hurdle during the swap.

Best recommendation is getting a d15b half cut. maybe pricey but much less headache. consider it a bit of extra for some peace of mind.

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Nismo Festival, the HOLY GRAIL for all Nissan or Nissan motorsport fans to be precise. A celebration held yearly at the Fuji international Speedway. It is a pilgrimage not to be missed. Worshippers & freaks alike travel from as far as Europe and USA, to witness the showcase of past and present Nismo's champion race machines, technology and its drivers...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience