DIY - CAI with Heat shield xD

donCityZ

2,000 RPM
Feb 8, 2006
how dumb can u be la dude, only idiots mod to increase timing :P
the others head toward decreasing their lap.track.acceleration times lolx lolx wakakkakakaa

no wonder laaa , if give ferrari also i guess u will increase the timing to 10sec for 0-60mph lol wakaka
Mistyped that la.. imeant increase acceleration, ie reduce timing la..
no need to call ppl dumb la... ok la im dumb, u smartest in the whole world lidat.
happy now? :banghead::banghead::banghead:

daremo

Known Member
Mar 13, 2009
If change to bigger onces ..how to fit wor ? ..Even this small tupperware also had difficulties when placing the battery ..Hmm ..Not sure what you meant by big ..
bro trust me, ur tupperware too small. change to a bigger one. one dyno run will prove everything.
i mean bigger tupperware, more space for the air circulation to feed the apexi openpod
daremo - bunnyears heatshield DIY bunnyears
PocketRocket, see above advise from the others la.
he used such a small tupperware box, it would just restrict airflow again much like the original airbox.
which is why i said "why use open pod if u are going to box it up again?" :banghead:

PocketRocket

'(00) Mod'er
Helmet Clan
Nov 28, 2004
Up Yours
ahh, it may been boxed up like the ori airbox but, the diff is the open pod can suck in air either from the top(where there is a small gap) or the bottom of the tupperware. as i mentioned before, when i'm idling the filter is able to take in air from the engine bay and as i drive faster, the air in the front is forced in more and the suction from the intake manifold would gladly take in the fed air rather than have to suck from the engine bay. at least theoretically the way "forced" air would work...if what you said like an ori airbox, it takes in air from only 1 direction whereas the open pod has better suction capabilities as its cylinder / cone shaped

i mean, would you drink water from a straw or with a pressure hose streamed to you?

---------- Post added at 02:43 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:41 AM ----------

what i meant was having to do this to minimize the hot air intake while moving :biggrin:

loose_end

3,000 RPM
Jul 29, 2009
Malaysia
Don't need to waste time explaining to bunnyears la ..

InitialD

1,000 RPM
Aug 27, 2004
Visit site
Guys, it turns out that the heat shield did more harm than good for me.

By using my Cobb Accessport, I could monitor the Intake Temperature.

This is my finding so far about using a DIY heat shield with my Apexi open pod air filter.
It does help to slow down the heat from building up but should there be any heat that managed to go over or past the heat shield, that heat is gonna be trapped between the heat shield and the open pod.

I also have a Cold Air Intake hose that draws fresh air from the outside of the engine bay to the open pod air filter.

On one hand it blocks (minimise) the heat from the engine to the open pod air filter, but on the other hand it also blocks the flow of air thus trapping some of the heat that managed to creep past the heat shield.

But when I removed the heat shield, the natural flow of air when the car is in motion (from the cold air intake) helps to push away the hot air away from the open pod air filter.

Conclusion

Cold air intake with heat shield: Air intake temperature rise much slowly but also drops much slowly

Cold air intake without heat shield: Air intake temperature rise faster but drops much faster when the car is in motion.

By the way, with the Cold Air Intake my intake temperature can be between 4 to 8 degree above ambient temperature.

Last edited:

jeyadev

Known Member
Mar 7, 2006
wahh... makes me interested to install for my car already... what's the damage, boss :)

wiramax

500 RPM
Dec 24, 2006
wahh... makes me interested to install for my car already... what's the damage, boss :)
I try dis b4 to my wira. U can feel ur engine smoother & lighter rev. The drawbacks is during rainy days,its kinda scary, coz ur intake can suck the water to the engine:banghead:

drexchan

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2004
Bukit Jalil
drexchan.fotopic.net
Just the filter. Not much.

I try dis b4 to my wira. U can feel ur engine smoother & lighter rev. The drawbacks is during rainy days,its kinda scary, coz ur intake can suck the water to the engine:banghead:
when you feel scary, the problem is actually within your mind, not an actual technical problem.

kazukimy

500 RPM
Jul 14, 2006
KL/Pahang
devil-home.blogspot.com
means even if when thru water u rev it the water wont get suck in?
the air filter wont spoilt?...erm the airfilter in the wira is blitz?made of mesh steel?
kinda remind me of BMW csl tat i saw last time

drexchan

2,000 RPM
Nov 23, 2004
Bukit Jalil
drexchan.fotopic.net
That's my car. it's UtR a local brand that's not cheap.

Clocking >120k km, at least 50k km with this setup. Its result and track record speaks for itself.

KhalilK

Sep 7, 2009
Subang Jaya
The real deal:

bro,
how did u get the piping to come out there ? did you have to cut a hole ?
i recently installed a CAI pipe but the workshop who did it routed it some other way so the piping is very near my radiator and gearbox. i'm thinking re-routing it myself over the weekend.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I m driving a satria neo 1.6 (m). Would like some advise of wat piggy back or stand alone ECU to recommend. I heard Micro tec is good enough. I m looking for more torque than HP. Any idea i can get a 2nd stand alone ECU or piggy. i m currently holding on to a unichip b series ( before the Q version) not suitable for my cc. Any 1 would like to buy or trade in? Thanks for all shi fu's advise.:adore:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience