Petrol Price hike 1st May 2010 - RON95 is RM2.10 >2000 c.c.‏

How many liters of fuel do you use a month?

• Less than 100 liters

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 101 to 200 liters

• 201 to 300 liters

• 301 to 400 liters

• 401 to 500 liters

• 500 liters and more!

• Total voters

yeehau86

Helmet Clan
Feb 10, 2007
May 1st RON95 is RM2.10

By Syed Akbar Ali

That's right. The Government is quite firm on "restructuring" the fuel subsidy on May 1st. Here is how it will work. First the price of RON95 will go up to RM2.10 per litre. Those who are eligible for the subsidies will have to swipe their MyKads at the gas stations and they will still get gas at the "old" price of RM1.80 per litre.

Those who are not eligible will have to pay RM2.10 per litre. This is based on todays world prices for oil. If oil goes up or down between now and May 1st, then the prices will be adjusted.

Eligible means cars below 2000 cc while cars above 2000 cc are not eligible. Between now and May 1st, you must register your MyKad and your car (if it is below 2000cc) somewhere. Details to be announced I think. Those with cars above 2000cc need not bother. You dont get the subsidy anyway.

Petrol stations will be equipped with a hand held device which can read your MyKad so that you can get your subsidy and also to read the amount of petrol you have used. The Government plans to allow only 100 litres of subsidised petrol per car owner per month. Only one car will be allowed for the subsidy..

All gas stations will be linked online (by May 1st) so that your usage of petrol will be monitored. The Government has talked to all the oil companies and they have all agreed.

Diesel will still be subsidised and commercial vehicles will not be affected. Only petrol driven privately owned passenger vehicles are eligible or not eligible for the subsidy.

What this means is that owners of cars below 2000cc will not see any reduction in their living expenses. They will still pay RM1.80 per litre for RON95 like they do today - no change there, except they will now have to flash their MyKads everytime they buy petrol, because they will only get say 100 litres of subsidised petrol a month..

Owners of cars above 2000cc will pay 30 sen more per litre - over 16% increase per litre of petrol.

Presently the Government spends about RM2.0 billion per year on fuel subsidies (petrol, diesel, all petroleum fuel). It is envisaged that this "restructuring the fuel subsidy" - which affects only petrol driven privately owned cars - will save the Government RM1.0 to RM1.5 billion.

Here are more numbers. There are about 8.0 million privately owned cars in Malaysia. Of these, 7.8 million are cars below 2000cc. This means this whole restructuring of the fuel subsidies is only going to affect 200,000 cars of 2000cc and above ? ?

And by making these 200,000 cars (of greater than 2000cc) pay an extra 30 sen per litre, the Government will save RM1.5 billion in subsidies a year ? ? I did some quick arithmetic and it works out to about 300 litres per car per month. But the Government is open for suggestions.

My view is while the 'restructuring' is supposed to help the poor, it does not really. They will still pay RM1.80 per litre (which they are paying now). There is no savings for them. Only the rich (those owning cars of 2000cc and above) will end up paying 30 sen more per litre. So while the poor remain status quo, the rich get penalised.

Even if world oil prices go up and pump prices also move up, the poor will still get subsidised petrol but at the higher market price. The rich will pay more.

I feel that prices of things will still go up. Although commercial vehicles and diesel lorries and trucks and tractors will still get subsidised fuel (thereby canceling the urge to raise prices) there will be some impact on the Consumer Price Index. Pasar malam traders use petrol driven generators to do their business at night. There are other equipment that may run on petrol - which may not enjoy the subsidy.

When the Government gave special diesel subsidies for the inshore fishermen (RM1.00 per litre of diesel), it immediately created huge diesel smugling problems. Then the Customs had to spend millions of Ringgit to buy boats to curb the smugling.

I think this split fuel subsidy structure will also create instant "kampong oil traders" especially if the oil prices move up drastically. People who have not used up their 100 litre per month quota will buy fuel and sell it for a small profit to others who may need it.

It would be fairer if the Government gave everyone a flat 100 litres (or 150 litres or 200 litres as may be more scientifically determined) of subsidised petrol. Above that and you pay market prices. And put in place a program to remove the subsidy altogether.

Its only 30 sen per litre (ok at current prices). The Government can reduce 10 sen per year and in three years, there will be no more need for fuel subsidies. The market will settle down to a new level by itself .

The issue of foreign cars can also be handled in a much easier manner. Singapore allows Malaysian cars 14 days free entry into Singapore. After that you have to pay RM75 per day. We could do the same thing. Charge foreign private cars RM10 tax per day - which goes to the Government or something like that..

The idea to deny the fuel subsidy to foreigners living in Malaysia does not seem fair. Foreigners who are resident here also pay road tax, drive cars bought in the country (paying excise duties etc) and may work here or run businesses here. They are actually part of the economy.

Foreign cars coming in from Singapore or Thailand are different.

The public also would like to see a drastic reduction in the prices of cars. Also a reduction in paying tolls. That would be more meaningful.

In conclusion, this restructuring of the fuel subsidies does NOT save any money for the poor (below 2000cc). The rich (above 2000cc) have to pay more. Both have to swipe their MyKads. They are all voters.

Posted by Syed Akbar Ali at 12:08:00 AM

For more info, click here:
New subsidy scheme overlooks fuel efficiency, contravenes revised NAP

JINEIL2EN

Over 10,000 RPM!
Sep 6, 2004
Island Of Pearl
team99ers.2.forumer.com
machibai, those driving a brand new rm4xxk Merc, E200, 1.8L turbocharger will still get the subsidy, while driving a 15yrs rm17k old Cefiro 2.0L will still need to pay rm0.30 more...wat the fuck....

yeehau86

Helmet Clan
Feb 10, 2007
machibai, those driving a brand new rm4xxk Merc, E200, 1.8L turbocharger will still get the subsidy, while driving a 15yrs rm17k old Cefiro 2.0L will still need to pay rm0.30 more...wat the fuck....
agree with you, Jin..This doesn't reflect the sentence 'In conclusion, this restructuring of the fuel subsidies does NOT save any money for the poor (below 2000cc). The rich (above 2000cc) have to pay more' :stupid:

What about RON97 ????
if we follow the current price difference between RON 95 and RON 97, the best guess for RON 97 is at least RM 2.30 per litre.

ongteckweng

5,000 RPM
Jul 15, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
there will always a loopholes as long as the f.subsidy is still in place. no doubt about it. what the G can do is to abolish the fuel subsidy all together n reduce the taxes on vehicles. just like most developed countries.

yeehau86

Helmet Clan
Feb 10, 2007
as long as P & P are still in here, they won't reduce the taxes.

Trinityblood

3,000 RPM
Nov 10, 2007
agreed on this one but i guess is not the time yet...probably another 2-3 years.once the AFTA
implemented and all the the GST accepted.

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
What about company registered vehicles?

What if the family only have 1 car or 2 cars and it's shared among family members? Which means that only owner of vehicle can get subsided fuel what if other family members go and fill up but owner is not there??

Is there more information about this system?

100liters/month enough meh....that's around MYR185 for Ron95 and around MYR215 Ron97.
My truck's monthly diesel usage also MYR400 +-

Last edited:

yeehau86

Helmet Clan
Feb 10, 2007
they say diesel will still be subsidised and commercial vehicles will not be affected, so your truck is safe :biggrin:

100 liters, nowadays on average 1 full tank is 30 - 40 liters. On average one full tank only last for 7 to 10 days for me depending on how I travel. So I think it is not enough for me too.

---------- Post added at 02:49 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:31 PM ----------

(Here is another source I found)

We really don’t know much about what to expect on the 1st of May 2010 except for speculation so far, but now it looks like Sin Chew has some details according to an unnamed source. Here is a summary:

• Some kind of ‘registration exercise’ will begin in March in preparation for the new system’s implementation on the 1st of May. Maybe the government has changed their mind and will reveal our new nightmare two months ahead instead of the night before?
  • Someone who owns multiple cars will only be eligible for subsidy worth for one car only.
  • Someone who does not own a car does not get any subsidy quota. This combined with the point above means that if you have a few cars registered under your name but used by someone else (your kids for example) you should probably quickly change ownership of your cars to their designated drivers.
  • If a car owner finishes his monthly subsidy quota, the person can continue to purchase fuel, but at unsubsidised market rates.
  • Quota is expected to be anything between 100 to 300 liters per month.
  • The government is considering removing the engine capacity variable from the formula that determines your monthly subsidy.

New updates on May 1st fuel subsidy system

ongteckweng

5,000 RPM
Jul 15, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
by changing the ownership of the car to new owner, the Insurance companies will b laughing to their bank as no more NCB will take effect. its better to do the calculation if ur monthly saving on the fuel is enough to cover ur NCB discount, esp for expensive rides.

for example, if u use 200 litre x 0.30 litre x 12 months = rm720 saving
but if u r insuring a rm150,000 ride, u save rm2k+ on the NCB (55%)! so think twice before u convert the ownership if u have NCB

XTEC

500 RPM
Dec 2, 2007
what if Singapore cars plate number & the owner is malaysian did the owner still eligible for subsidize??

so based on kad pegenalan or plate number or both???

fstr

7,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Apr 19, 2004
Sahara Desert
100 litres per month?

what about those doing sales or are always running outside?

myself can edi use up 100 litres in 2 weeks or less, i travel about 150km per day on average that makes to about 15 litres per day, and 1 week i pump 3 times (depends on work load)...

1 time full tank edi 38 litres (max i can use about 3 days), then rest of the 3rd week how?

run on water???

common laa gomen, think of how to help the rakyat you can sau pei laa...

SDF

missing her so much
Nov 19, 2003
KL, Malaysia
it's a silly thing..... such a pity.. it's just the malaysian G style of doing things.. come out with a non-transparent and last minute policy on the day of implementation..surprise all citizens... :rofl: then all sudden everyone is running helter skelter for information and it will be no surprise if you go to a pump or a gov dept and ask for info and they can't even answer your questions.

Policy makers without proper education are a waste of time and our tax payers resources.... sigh~

trojan

500 RPM
Mar 2, 2005
Madagascar
www.friendster.com
SDF, u got a point...but do u have any better idea how to save our money as a tax payer?...for us to complaint is much easier than done...hehe...don't flame me ok...cheers

SDF

missing her so much
Nov 19, 2003
KL, Malaysia
trojan..that you have to speak to tax consultants or advisers..they're the experts.. i'm voicing my dissentiments as a legitimate tax payer as well..

how do you trust your hard earned money with a bunch of fellas who are not properly qualified and made it up from the kampungs because they happen to know someone higher up and get themselves a job up there...therefore now they are qualified to manage our money ? :mad:

juz go figure how much has been squandered and all the silly fiasco that's being played around us everyday.... geez~ ....no wonder talents are going overseas.. who wants to stay and be rediculed by monkeys.... unless someone enjoys sitting and watching a monkey show ! :rofl:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Guys, how do you increase the top speed of your car? Is it by more bhp or torque or change gear ratio or increase fueling?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience