Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
[COLOR=#003366 said:
Dark_Knight][/COLOR]
hello everyone,

i'm going to own a wira 1.5 auto from my sis,
this car has unknown mileage and my sis barely service it,
any suggestion on what to change for a major service?

thx in advance
Hmm.. it's always scary to hear "I'm taking over this car which has never been serviced"... whats the mileage? If you don't know the service history you better don't take any chances. If you have the budget, change everything.

1. Timing belt, aircon belt, basically all the belts. Either one of these snaps and you're gonna spend more than you want to repair. Especially Timing.

2. Do a top overhaul. Might as well spend for a port and polish too. Change all gaskets and oil seals.

3. Do a engine flush and swap over to fully synthetic.

4. Do a gearbox oil flush and pour in good quality SPIII oil. I know some jokers who say Dexron III is better.. better you follow manufacturer specs and put in SPIII. The Proton Wira GB was meant for SPIII and you should stick with it imho.

5. Change brake pads and if your car has high mileage, the brake hoses too.

6. Change radiator hoses (2 big fat ones) and flush your radiator to check for blockages.

Once all that is done, you'll be spending a fair bit of money but you'll get peace of mind and probably better fuel consumption.

Last edited:

FVel

500 RPM
Feb 5, 2007
how much could it takes for the SC bolt on at Powerzone???
Call them. Their contact number is listed on their webpage.

First time playing with mods ? If you are thinking of just installing an SC into a stock 4g15 vehicle and then stopping there, it won't be prudent. You will be looking at upgrading other areas in addition to the engine before the car can handle force induction safely and reliably.

If you talk to them, they will recommend what needs to be done. Make sure you clarify your budget so they give you a good idea of what's possible.

Dark_Knight

Jan 3, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hmm.. it's always scary to hear "I'm taking over this car which has never been serviced"... whats the mileage? If you don't know the service history you better don't take any chances. If you have the budget, change everything.

1. Timing belt, aircon belt, basically all the belts. Either one of these snaps and you're gonna spend more than you want to repair. Especially Timing.

2. Do a top overhaul. Might as well spend for a port and polish too. Change all gaskets and oil seals.

3. Do a engine flush and swap over to fully synthetic.

4. Do a gearbox oil flush and pour in good quality SPIII oil. I know some jokers who say Dexron III is better.. better you follow manufacturer specs and put in SPIII. The Proton Wira GB was meant for SPIII and you should stick with it imho.

5. Change brake pads and if your car has high mileage, the brake hoses too.

6. Change radiator hoses (2 big fat ones) and flush your radiator to check for blockages.

Once all that is done, you'll be spending a fair bit of money but you'll get peace of mind and probably better fuel consumption.
1st at all, thx for the comprehensive reply,
this car has unknown mileage due to the damage speedometer, all i know this car is already 8 yrs old

few months ago i did take the car for a major service,
changed speedometer, all spark plugs, ATF & ATF filter, throttle body cleaning, with 15w-40 Eneos mineral oil.

1. the mechanics said timing belt already get harden, i also notice the engine produce a lot squeaking sound in the morning, i guess it's time to change all belting, roughly how much does it cost?

2. the engine has minor oil leak, which i can see it is dirty at the head. it is oil seal change is done together with timing belt change?

3. this car have been running on 20w-50 since my sis using it, what grade of fully syn oil recommended?

4. i use Eneos ATF Multi Asia during last service, i'll try check the bottle,

5. good suggestion, but roughly how much would it cost?

6. last time my sis change at petrol station, the worker pour in a few bottle of green color coolant, so now it is 100% coolant with no water inside, is it ok? how about the water pump?

thx in advance

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Listen to sifu Fred :biggrin: that forum very useful.

1st at all, thx for the comprehensive reply,
this car has unknown mileage due to the damage speedometer, all i know this car is already 8 yrs old
Well.. how much time does this car spend on the road? My car is just touching 6 years and I've already hit 120,000 km with one timing belt change.

few months ago i did take the car for a major service,
changed speedometer, all spark plugs, ATF & ATF filter, throttle body cleaning, with 15w-40 Eneos mineral oil.

1. the mechanics said timing belt already get harden, i also notice the engine produce a lot squeaking sound in the morning, i guess it's time to change all belting, roughly how much does it cost?
Woah.. that's not really a major service, that's erm... a normal service. You've changed the speedo and the mileage meter still doesn't work? The belts itself are relatively cheap, RM200 for all the belts (bando brand) but the work need to take them out and put them back in is the one that'll cost you. On average, I think about RM450 total give or take would be your final cost.

2. the engine has minor oil leak, which i can see it is dirty at the head. it is oil seal change is done together with timing belt change?

3. this car have been running on 20w-50 since my sis using it, what grade of fully syn oil recommended?
If your car has leaks, don't switch to synthetic until you've fixed the leaks. You'll need to change the cam-shaft oil seals, cylinder head gasket and rocker cover gasket. Once you've fixed the leaks, then only consider synthetic. 20W50 is way too thick for our Wiras. I personally don't recommend anything more than 10W40. I've always used 5W30, 10W30 or 0W30 on my Wira. Some say it's thin, but to me it works. Your safe bet would be 10W40 or 5W40. If fully syn is on the expensive side for you, then semi is good enough. Get a good oil brand though. I won't list down the brands here (PM me for my opinion if interested) but personally I'm using Pennzoil 5W30 semi, not too expensive and works well until 7500km before the next change.

4. i use Eneos ATF Multi Asia during last service, i'll try check the bottle,
Umm... the Eneos website doesn't have information on this oil (it's not listed there!!) so I can't comment. Look for SPIII compatibility. If it's not there, I don't suggest you continue using it.

5. good suggestion, but roughly how much would it cost?
Brake pads cost anything between RM60 to RM300 depending on what brand you go for. Drexchan/khguan sell Improve, Rapidstop and Cermic brakepads for about the RM100 plus minus range. Those are pretty decent pads and have been 'tested' for brake fade and all. Rapidstop produced the best results but I'm personally on Improve and I don't brake like a gila babi who's butt's on fire so the Improve pads work well enough for me. Having said that I'm using cross drilled, slotted and ventilated rotors so that might help too :D Again bought from drexchan / khguan. The brakehose really depends on the condition. It's made of rubber so it'll deteriorate over time but if it's still in good condition no need to touch them. I'm not sure about the price to replace though, I haven't replaced mine yet.

6. last time my sis change at petrol station, the worker pour in a few bottle of green color coolant, so now it is 100% coolant with no water inside, is it ok? how about the water pump?
Erm.. no. You're not supposed to do that. 2 parts coolant, 8 parts distilled water. Did your mech remove the thermostat too? If yes you better get it installed back and have the radiator checked for blockage. Removing the thermostat is the wrong way to fix cooling problems with the car and some oldskool mechs do it cuz it's easy (and cheaper) to do. But if your radiators blocked your engine will still overheat eventually and removing the thermostat means your engine is not going to reach optimum temperature quickly (during startuo) which directly affects your oil viscosity which affects your engine internals protection. So basically it's a slow and painful death la.

But again - I've never see the condition of your car so I cannot really say "go do all this". What I've suggested is based on what you tell me only and is not the only way to get it done. It's only a suggestion.

Last edited:

Dark_Knight

Jan 3, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Listen to sifu Fred :biggrin: that forum very useful.
erm, this tread is too long for me to read up, so sorry if i asked something that had been asked b4
no doubt, this forum is useful :biggrin:

well, the mileage stop at 99XXX km for a long time, bcoz no one notice it.
now the new speedo is reaching 12XXX km, so rough estimation, this car should be less than 150k km mileage

so belting, oil seals and gasket change is added into my list

for engine oil, i guess i'll go for penzoil platinum 5w-40 since it is within my budget

for gear oil, i've check the bottle, nothing stated there but only "multi vehicle ATF", so far the gearbox response is ok, but i wonder where can i get SP III spec ATF

for braking system, i'm thinking of changing the brake fluid and pads, how about Ferodo?

for cooling system, my sis tell me the worker did not remove anything, only flush and fill with 100% green color coolant, should i left it or flush again with 20/80 ratio?

thx in advance

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
SPIII you got a few choices :

1. Mitsubishi Diamond SPIII
2. Proton SPIII (original)
3. Motul SPIII

Suggest you stick to SPIII. Doesn't matter what brand, but there's some talk saying that Motul and Diamond are very good. Dunno how good cuz they are too exp for me. Our Wiras need about 12L to fill and to do a flush need about 3 times the amount.

Platinum 5W40? Full Syn! Heard a lot of good feedback.

Ferodo? Dunno. Never used before. But if you're not going racing most brands are ok.

Suggest you flush again and 20/80 ratio. Check for blockages in your radiator too.

Dark_Knight

Jan 3, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
SPIII you got a few choices :

1. Mitsubishi Diamond SPIII
2. Proton SPIII (original)
3. Motul SPIII

Suggest you stick to SPIII. Doesn't matter what brand, but there's some talk saying that Motul and Diamond are very good. Dunno how good cuz they are too exp for me. Our Wiras need about 12L to fill and to do a flush need about 3 times the amount.

Platinum 5W40? Full Syn! Heard a lot of good feedback.

Ferodo? Dunno. Never used before. But if you're not going racing most brands are ok.

Suggest you flush again and 20/80 ratio. Check for blockages in your radiator too.
ok, noted, normally where u service ur car? looking for a trust-worthy shop to do all that

jz surf through the internet, found out that Penzoil multi-vehicle ATF is SP iii compatible, anyone using it?

http://pennzoil.com/#/transmission-fluids-and-gear-oil/pennzoil-multi-vehicle-atf

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Let me ask you something Dark-knight : If I gave you a all-in-one drink that is coke compatible, would you consider it or the original coke?

As for servicing our cars, we DIY :D (well... most of us do anyway. PM me if you're interested in reliable workshops)

Dark_Knight

Jan 3, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Let me ask you something Dark-knight : If I gave you a all-in-one drink that is coke compatible, would you consider it or the original coke?

As for servicing our cars, we DIY :D (well... most of us do anyway. PM me if you're interested in reliable workshops)
haha, if i buy more, can use for another car ma :biggrin:

btw, u got pm

afosz

May 13, 2008
Selangor
Guys, wanted to ask, RPM drops near dying and sometimes jumps up and down, TB problem ? Also might be alternator problem ?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

INDIANAPOLIS[/B] — Newman-Haas Racing, one of the most successful teams for the better part of the last three decades in U.S. open-wheel racing, is closed.

Carl Haas, who teamed with actor Paul Newman to establish the team in 1983, made the announcement Thursday, asserting the team could not obtain financial support from a sponsor.
"The economic climate no longer enables Newman-Haas Racing to...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience