need advice for buying car for mother

csl

1,000 RPM
Aug 22, 2005
Malysia
My mother pretty old already, beh tahan the 4G92 Mivec wira I gave to her years back. She wants a new small car. After several searches, I think either Myvi or New Picanto suits what she asking for. generally I think picanto has more rigid panel compare to Myvi milo tin. But myvi looks better and has more workshop/parts shop supports (also support from car thief). Resale value, maintenance cost and fuel consumption is out of my concern (if i buy jazz, C2 or etc then need to calculate every single cent). Anyone has any advice or idea which one is better in overall? Thanks.

boyzone

2,000 RPM
Mar 13, 2005
ok, I will prefer MyVi as
-the door panel have a very good wide angle opening compare with other. (This is good for senoir citizen )
-Chasis floor clearance is high and easy to move inside the seat.
-easy to maintain & spare part.
-high resell value
-roomly.

netmatrix

2,000 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
P Jaya:Malaysia
kh_tan.tripod.com
Confirm Myvi is better car for senior drivers. As the viewing angle is much much more better than any small car. And the height gives more confidence in getting the car where you want it to go. And the flat seats is more better for senior people than huggy ones. Believe me, when they get in and out, you can see how hard it is on the knees.

SataniC

Old Is Gold
Dec 9, 2003
Subang
Visit site
not sure bout the others...but the myvi im with the door is kinda sucky...75% fail to close tightly on 1st try...usually if i remember ive to closed it quite hard...too vacuumy

and 2nd the auto myvi is kinda jerky...from N to D the car tends to jerk forward...for senior citizen it might catch them offguard...not sure bout the others la but thats the problem with my emmm...myvi...

har1th7

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
1st ...how old is her?

for senior... here a few advice..
1. get an auto box.
2. get a high car (not lowerred car, easy on their knee)
3. get a proper safety (airbag, abs)
4. a car that handle gentle (soft suspension, soft steering)
5. must have 4 door.

if budget in ok... get a jazz (2nd shoud be ok)... or waja... but not myvi or worst, viva@kancil...

Fairlady350

Known Member
Nov 21, 2008
1st ...how old is her?

for senior... here a few advice..
1. get an auto box.
2. get a high car (not lowerred car, easy on their knee)
3. get a proper safety (airbag, abs)
4. a car that handle gentle (soft suspension, soft steering)
5. must have 4 door.

if budget in ok... get a jazz (2nd shoud be ok)... or waja... but not myvi or worst, viva@kancil...
A Jazz is perfectly fine bro....

csl

1,000 RPM
Aug 22, 2005
Malysia
Jazz is too expensive. If I buy jazz, I rather buy a used 147 :biggrin: Due to several reasons, I prefer a small car that is not too expensive (+-RM50k), not too flashy, not too powerful, harder shell than kancil/viva, and reliable. FC, maintenance cost and etc is not a problem. i10 is good but I never look at it physically yet, so don't dare to say anything. New picanto front very cute but the butt don't know. If myvi has a hard shell, I don't need to think so much.

hachiroku clan

500 RPM
Oct 16, 2008
i10 looks tougher than myvi, but nvr sat in it yet.. New picanto's rear looks like the previous one.. Underpower lah..

zac

1,000 RPM
Feb 7, 2007
Johor Bahru
Kenari is more better than mvyi in terms of viewing angle, height and fuel efficiency...
Hard shell? Kenari + roll cage!!! :biggrin: just kidding...

I couldn't think of any hard shell hassle free car around 50k budget, VW Polo ok? Merc A160 older version is nice too but maintenance is a headache...

Last choice, toyota vellfire/alphard with chauffeur, your mum dun even hv to climb up to car, the seat will come down... i assure she will love you more if you bought this... hohoho...

JINEIL2EN

Over 10,000 RPM!
Sep 6, 2004
Island Of Pearl
team99ers.2.forumer.com
bro, if wan cheap, rigid & safer car, i whld reco the Fiat Punto, yrs 2006 & above.. used 1 very cheap now days... look nice & nice handling...

har1th7

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
bro, if wan cheap, rigid & safer car, i whld reco the Fiat Punto, yrs 2006 & above.. used 1 very cheap now days... look nice & nice handling...
yup.. punto look ok.... getz, ... naza 206....

FVel

500 RPM
Feb 5, 2007
Since you have pretty much settled on either the Myvi or Picanto without any clear preference for either, the safest way to play this would be to actually take your mom for a test drive in both cars and let her choose. In that way, the decision of choice is her own and she will have to live with what she chose.

There are a few reasons why it is sensible to do this.

1. There is money involved.

2. Old people are fickle. They often don't really know what they want in their grumpy moods. The older people get, the more they tend to be childish. Not saying your mom is such, but take precautions all the same. Does your mom have a real need of a new car or is she just being difficult ? I know plenty of old people still driving large sedans with no complaints.

3. If you look at it honestly, a Wira is not appreciably bigger than either a Myvi or a Picanto. The size difference between these models is hardly any justification to dump a perfectly good car and spend the money to buy a new car. If she honestly really cannot handle a Wira, maybe she's already at the point where even a Myvi or Picanto cannot be of much help. Just something you need to consider objectively.

In any case, if she still insist on the new smaller car, don't buy one for her without first letting her test drive the options you can afford. If you let her make the choice, she will have to live with the decision because she was responsible for picking that particular model amongst all the choices she test drove. She cannot come back later and say something like "Aiya. Ah Chai ! Why you pick that car for me ? It don't suit me." Like I said, old people can be fickle. Make sure you be the smart son and protect yourself.

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

For anyone embarking on a budget sim rig journey considering using a cheap / spare TV instead of computer monitor, this is what I gathered from my recent sim racing experience, comparing my existing 55″ 1080 TV setup to a computer monitor.

While the expansive TV screen offered immersive visuals, the computer monitor brought forth a sharper focus on details and a faster response...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience