Perdana V6 or Civic 1.7..which to pick?

mywife

Dec 19, 2009
Johor Bahru
Good day to all!

I'm thinking of getting a new car (err...2nd hand to be exact :biggrin:) to replace my current Wira and my interest seems to bias towards Perdana V6.
Yupp...this car's been my dream for years now :proud:.
But...

After went through some reading and reviews, found out that this car is plagued by that problematic auto gearbox...really kacau la macam nie :rolleyes:!
So my questions go like this..

1) Is this a 'mandatory' problem for all Perdana V6 after reaching 100K++ mileage of its life?

2) If i were to take a very very very good care of the the car e.g. change ATF at every recommended KM, change the ATF filter at every recommended KM, use a suitable good quality ATF oil, use an ATF cooler (pretty sure all latest Perdana V6 have this thing installed), will it make me free from the the problem?

3) Is it true that maintenance for this type of engine (V6) will cost me a BOMB?!!
Have read somewhere (in this forum i guess) the price of single valve is around RM130++...and there are 24 valves altogether!!!

For you guys information, the car will mainly be used during weekends and during long journey balik kampung to Kelantan (i'm a johorean). Only ride a motorcycle back and forth to workplace everyday...easier to cilok-cilok during traffic jam haha.

And some more, i'm not really into heavy modification...i won't touch the engine i swear!
Cosmetic modification will do just fine for me like changing to rim sukan, lower the car a bit, put some stickers here there....just an ordinary driver with casual driving style :driver:.
I think, for Perdana, lower the car alone is enough to make it look GARANG! :proud:

How about Honda Civic 1.7 vtec? any word of advise? is this a trouble-free car?...particularly the gearbox of course. Really like the rear look...especially the taillights.
But interior wise, it's a bit of disappointment to me...very simple and boring...but anyhow, still willing to pour my money on it if Perdana V6 is really a "Bermuda Triangle" for my money.

Perdana V6 preferably year 2006 and above.
Honda Civic 1.7 year 2002 and above.
Budget range RM50k-RM75k

Really need your expertise, knowledge and advise on this!
I thank you all in advance for opinions and suggestions given...will be very much appreciated!

chocolatesttarfish

500 RPM
May 13, 2007
PJ/BTU
hahahahah ur the man...sorry bro cant help u with ur Qs..coz nvr drove perdana nor civic 1.7 b4..
just that ur nick really caught my attention :biggrin:

mywife

Dec 19, 2009
Johor Bahru
by the way chocolatesttarfish (copy&paste), what car u're using? which make? how's ur experience with the car? mind sharing?

i've been with my Wira for 11 years....bought it 2nd hand also (cannot part with 2nd hand cars...my destiny maybe :rolleyes:).
never met with any major problem with the car...the engine still going strong and so the GB after all these years :wavey:. The only bad part is the body....as usual...you know those tikuses and anak ayams noises :biggrin:.

arrowhead

Aug 20, 2004
Damansara/PJ
i m driving a 1.7 es, so i believe i can only give u some heads up about the car.

i honestly believe, maintainance wise, the civic will definitely be cheaper.

i spend an average of rm180-200 everytime i service my car at the honda service center. that doesnt include replacing of parts la, just the regular service.

the car is also quite reliable, havent gone in for any major service up to date (160k mileage already)

fuel consumption wise - is awesome. daily street driving, easily hit 400-450km on a full tank. (normallu i pump ron 95, approx rm70 whenever the reserve petrol light lids up).

travelled to penang once, the light only lid (reserve petrol) when i reach 570km. so long distance its quite economical.

power wise, i wouldnt say its a very powerful car, but its ok... pickup is decent, mid range is decent, top end is decent also.

i tried 200+km before on the highway, no problems. the car is steady as well, doesnt feel like i was flying.

thats abt it. hope this helps.

Feb 23, 2008
Pasir Gudang
Hi "mywife", your choices of the cars are exactly same as me :biggrin:
I've owned Gen 2 1.6 M since about 3 years ago. But now I feel like to change to another car.
Prefer Honda of course. Very excited to know about both of the cars that u mention above.

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
1.7 Civic!
Its chassis is 80% similar to a DC5 (Steering rack, suspension, engine mounts if you EVER want to mod it :biggrin:) and it handles really great...

Pickup all my dad did was buy a K&N drop in and till today, he's still smiling whenever he floors it haha.

No experience on perdanas though... Good luck in deciding! :wavey:

mywife

Dec 19, 2009
Johor Bahru
Thank you so much arrowhead for ur feedback! you got ur strong points in there. Will use that info in my hunting and still looking for more...
About ur Civic 1.7 es, is it AT or MT? (sorry, just got into Honda's world)..if it's AT does it require any special treatment/care for the GB?.

As for namesiscult, let's go hunting together with mywife :biggrin:. We can shere everything here with the helps and guidance from other fellow forumers.
But i think you've made something clear for urself here...
I've owned Gen 2 1.6 M since about 3 years ago. But now I feel like to change to another car.
Prefer Honda of course. Very excited to know about both of the cars that u mention above.
"Prefer Honda of course" ...see! i think this sentence explains a lot...it's Honda for you :biggrin:.

Okay G-loon, it's now 2-0 for Honda.

And with LittleWhiteWagon joining in, it's now 3-0 heheh :biggrin:.

Anyway, still piling up infos and guides before deciding....
Yes, Honda is one established name...but...Perdana...it's so damn gorgeous man!! :banghead:

arrowhead

Aug 20, 2004
Damansara/PJ
The es only comes in auto transmission bro. The 2.0 will be damn powerful so u may consider it if budget allows. I believe treatment is the same lor, change gearbox oil when due. That's abt it. I whack my car occasionally, but everything is fine :)

stevenV6

1,000 RPM
Jun 15, 2006
hi.....

i would suggest u to Go for Civic ES 1.7 year 04 above coz u get a new facelifted look & an new i_vtec engine rather than the first version that is bad looking & D17a old engine ...

If u wana go for ES 1st version then i would suggest to go for perdana V6......

~~good luck~~

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
Theres nothing wrong with the pre-facelift model, its up to personal preference. I actually preffer the older one cause its simpler in styling and has a dark grey interior instead of the easily stained beige one...

Steven, the D17a isnt an old engine lah, its made specifically for the 1.7 civic only :biggrin:

yeehau86

Helmet Clan
Feb 10, 2007
I would prefer Civic as well as my friend is using a Perdana, always complaining the FC is too high due to its V6 engine. Therefore, he converted it to NGV. The brand name speaks for itself, I guess you should know which brand is better in terms of durability and performance. Yes, the spare parts for Honda might be more expensive than Proton, but how often do you see the car broke down compare to local cars? Hope this helps.

mywife

Dec 19, 2009
Johor Bahru
The es only comes in auto transmission bro. The 2.0 will be damn powerful so u may consider it if budget allows. I believe treatment is the same lor, change gearbox oil when due. That's abt it. I whack my car occasionally, but everything is fine :)
Whoaa!!...never knew there's 2.0 version of the car...silly me:rolleyes:
Googling for 2.0 version just now, wowweee...the interior's bit better than the 1.7 counterpart...exterior's nothing but the same (to my eyes la). But the price is slightly out of my reach la.....cannot afford one hehe :biggrin:.
Actually i don't fancy getting a powerful car...as long as the car is comfortable, reliable, durable with reasonable running cost that'd be suffice.

hi.....

i would suggest u to Go for Civic ES 1.7 year 04 above coz u get a new facelifted look & an new i_vtec engine rather than the first version that is bad looking & D17a old engine ...

If u wana go for ES 1st version then i would suggest to go for perdana V6......

~~good luck~~
HI stevenV6...thank you also for your input!
Seems like you're a owner of Perdana V6...sorry if i'm wrong. Any comment/complaint on it?

I would prefer Civic as well as my friend is using a Perdana, always complaining the FC is too high due to its V6 engine. Therefore, he converted it to NGV. The brand name speaks for itself, I guess you should know which brand is better in terms of durability and performance. Yes, the spare parts for Honda might be more expensive than Proton, but how often do you see the car broke down compare to local cars? Hope this helps.
Yes yeehau86, i'm aware about the FC since it's V6...and 2.0 some more. It don't really bother me becoz will mostly use the car during weekends makan angin with family and long journey back to Kelantan once or twice a year only.
Speaking of the brand....i agree with you...Honda certainly stand out most. Just that i want to gether some pros n cons between the two cars as not to regret at later time after own the car.

Thank you everybody for your feedback...i'm really excited hearing from you all. Anymore suggestions, recommendations, guides or whatever are highly welcomed here....:driver:

Now, i think...i have to keep my eyes closer to Honda....still deciding anyway....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi,i would like to ask about below video..i dont know how this happen..at first the hose from fuel rail to my fuel regulator got leaking.and i replace a new 1 and then i found my adj fuel regulator reading become weard,it suppose to increase not decreasing when i press the throttle adoyai.. pls view and let me know what causing it...thx sry for my bad english..

YouTube - viva fuel pressure dropping
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience