4AF + Blacktop internal part = work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRD.AE92

500 RPM
Apr 10, 2009
Since the 4A (Carb) are can interchange the internal part....

So I thinking to upgrade my mum car 4AF (carb) with using the Blacktop internal part (Rod, piston, crankshaft and flywheel set) + Single Webber = worked?

me2kimi

500 RPM
Jun 25, 2007
Puchong
I also been thinking will 4afe with 4age head either 16valve or 20valve work? what about the output?

TRD.AE92

500 RPM
Apr 10, 2009
I also been thinking will 4afe with 4age head either 16valve or 20valve work? what about the output?
4AFE + 4AGE head = worked... But problem is what ECU you going to use?

me2kimi

500 RPM
Jun 25, 2007
Puchong
stock 4afe ecu not suitable for this setup? let say with 16 valve head, this setup also can't support by stock 4afe ecu?

bernard74

Known Member
Oct 21, 2008
Sarikei/Sarawak
Hi guys, my ae101 4afe is going thru an overhaul now, 3rd day oredi... swap the pistons with bluetop 4age 16v. It'll raise the compression ratio from roughly 9.3:1 to 10.3, wonder if can feel the difference or not. Still not sure this swap is safe but I'm willing to try, what do u guys think? Anything else from the GE that can be used in the FE??

EFN

1,000 RPM
Dec 28, 2003
Batu Caves
Visit site
Why would anyone want to do this? for starters 4AF is an Low Revving economy grade motor and the 4AG (later versions - AE92, AE101 & AE111 20Vs) are all High Comp, High Rev machine. Even if you can interchange the internal parts I doubt it will be really beneficial and cost effective in the long run. Swapping parts between 16V and 20V 4A-G is common but only the most wacky person would want to mix and match 4AF and 4AG.

Like I said, if you can do it without incurring more cost than the price of a total 4AG, then you hit the jackpot...but more likely you will end spending more with follow up tweaks and tuning ;)

pcmoddingmy

1,000 RPM
Mar 23, 2006
www.pcmoddingmy.com
High comp on 4AFE setup (with 4AGE internals or head) might need better fuel delivery system, some sort of management, upgraded oil pump and others parts to support the noticeable gain. End result will be more powerful than stock 4AFE but not as good as stock 4AGE. The engine will definitely not be rev friendly like the 4AGE unless you get the whole 4AGE bottom plonked into the 4AFE... but why not go for 4AGE block afterall? Besides, 4AFE doesn't come equipped with sufficient oil squirters that might cause oil starvation that could lead to quicker wear & tear internally.

If you were to only use 4AGE pistons on 4AFE, the gain might not be much noticeable as going with oversized pistons designed for 4AFE. Also, if you were to use 20V pistons, valve seating and clearance must be checked.... else kiss the valves good bye ;)

Besides, running hi-comp setup requires better fuel... means more expensive to drive around as a daily drive. Even stock 20V are known to knock a little with RON97 in Malaysia! Also, hi-comp setup requires better cooling as well.

Just my 50cent ;)

TRD.AE92

500 RPM
Apr 10, 2009
Why would anyone want to do this? for starters 4AF is an Low Revving economy grade motor and the 4AG (later versions - AE92, AE101 & AE111 20Vs) are all High Comp, High Rev machine. Even if you can interchange the internal parts I doubt it will be really beneficial and cost effective in the long run. Swapping parts between 16V and 20V 4A-G is common but only the most wacky person would want to mix and match 4AF and 4AG.

Like I said, if you can do it without incurring more cost than the price of a total 4AG, then you hit the jackpot...but more likely you will end spending more with follow up tweaks and tuning ;)
Hahaha... For me i don't think i will cost over than the total 4AG, another thing is... I just want to make my dad & mum happy a bit with this setup only... They not HP hunger :rofl:

Last time I also thinking to take 7A to mix match, but 7A I currently don't on hand stock...
At moment only 20V BT (engine kosong) have 2 units...

---------- Post added 12-19-2009 at 12:07 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was 12-18-2009 at 11:56 PM ----------

High comp on 4AFE setup (with 4AGE internals or head) might need better fuel delivery system, some sort of management, upgraded oil pump and others parts to support the noticeable gain. End result will be more powerful than stock 4AFE but not as good as stock 4AGE. The engine will definitely not be rev friendly like the 4AGE unless you get the whole 4AGE bottom plonked into the 4AFE... but why not go for 4AGE block afterall? Besides, 4AFE doesn't come equipped with sufficient oil squirters that might cause oil starvation that could lead to quicker wear & tear internally.
Yeah... I go with all 4AGE block...
Anyway... 4AF is carburetor engine la, so fuel pump & fuel delivery system is less out the hassle.. only thing is I will use the webber to solve my hassle too

If you were to only use 4AGE pistons on 4AFE, the gain might not be much noticeable as going with oversized pistons designed for 4AFE. Also, if you were to use 20V pistons, valve seating and clearance must be checked.... else kiss the valves good bye ;)
Oversized? If like that I better go for 7A block le...
Valve seating problem only I was concerned, but I still 85% sure it won't hit.

Besides, running hi-comp setup requires better fuel... means more expensive to drive around as a daily drive. Even stock 20V are known to knock a little with RON97 in Malaysia! Also, hi-comp setup requires better cooling as well.

Just my 50cent ;)
webber + setting will solve the above hassle.

scottwrx

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2007
haiyah.. juz get a bt engine with wiring, swap the whole thing in, easier lah... instead spending time on experimenting... bt is 20v, hence the piston is design for 20v only, 4af is 16v, and piston design is not the same, u need to calculate compression, piston n valve clearance etc.... if u plan to put bottom internal to the 4af black, is 20v head n 4af black with 20v bottom, more time consuming...waste more time on tuning n petty matters...

bernard74

Known Member
Oct 21, 2008
Sarikei/Sarawak
What about the 4age 16v pistons (AE86) in a 4afe?? same bore 81mm and same stroke 77mm?? both 16v, diff only at the piston head... that was what i was thinking...higher compression...higher hp?? Moreover, same piston skirts and conrod 40mm & 18mm both pressed in....

black910

Known Member
Aug 13, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
TRD.AE92 , I believe you know what you are doing already & you are just getting some feedback to feel safe on your plans. However i feel is a good idea & with a good objective you are trying to move in with all the parts that you currently have ( i mean the BT's) in hand now to minimize the cost. Cheers on your creative ways!!!

P.S - Dump a full set SVT in & all problem solved. **juz my 2 cents**

scottwrx

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2007
bernard, i know that the dimensions are all the same, but i m not really sure of the 4ag 16 pistons, coz need to look at the 4af head to check.. something i have never done, not really familiar with swapping pistons..

TRD.AE92

500 RPM
Apr 10, 2009
What about the 4age 16v pistons (AE86) in a 4afe?? same bore 81mm and same stroke 77mm?? both 16v, diff only at the piston head... that was what i was thinking...higher compression...higher hp?? Moreover, same piston skirts and conrod 40mm & 18mm both pressed in....
The piston head not much different, you can PNP it...
Piston pin for 4AFE is 18mm which is same with blue top 16V too...

higher hp? Yes... because compression ratio are slightly increase.

here are the picture of both piston:
Left are 4AFE and right are 4AGE (blue top)

---------- Post added at 12:15 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:05 AM ----------

TRD.AE92 , I believe you know what you are doing already & you are just getting some feedback to feel safe on your plans. However i feel is a good idea & with a good objective you are trying to move in with all the parts that you currently have ( i mean the BT's) in hand now to minimize the cost. Cheers on your creative ways!!!

P.S - Dump a full set SVT in & all problem solved. **juz my 2 cents**
Thanks for supporting me... and yes you are correct (I just want to double confirm my plan only).
16 valve on 4AFE moded, I don't think it will fall too behind the stock 4AGE 16 valve. Hahaha....

Last edited:

futeball

Known Member
Jun 2, 2006
Kuala Lumpur
www.4aeoc.org
My opinion, if wanna give my mom a pleasure driving, just go fot BT auto.
No need to hassle your brains & sweat for r&d. Just plug-n-play.

TRD.AE92

500 RPM
Apr 10, 2009
My opinion, if wanna give my mom a pleasure driving, just go fot BT auto.
No need to hassle your brains & sweat for r&d. Just plug-n-play.
hahaha... maybe we are different...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Anyone know how to set my rear tyre, coz it touch the fender when tru e bumppy road. I already knock the fender but verry disspointed coz its still happen....so i change back my rear short stroke abs to stock one.....
i confuse how the satria owner lowered their car without any prob with fender....

http://www.circles99.com/elements/album/circles/00062279/00111537/DSC00574.JPG
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience