Typical timing for street cars at Sepang SIC

dawg

Known Member
Nov 29, 2003
Selangor
dawgsevo.blogspot.com
Sunday's 29th nov track day was nice, little traffic, nice weather.

me driving evo 8 stock boost/turbo, suspension, brakes, 20% tires falken ziex street type, 180kmh speed cut, (everything stock except for air filter and exhaust)

did 2m58s

i reckon i could go faster without the speedcut and better tires + brakes, but it wont actually be considered stock-stock anymore... also very lazy to shift into 5th gear at turn 4 as it was a short distance only to have to shift down again.

highlight of the day, a myvi pulled away from me on the straight, after managed to side by side i hit speed cut and he went ahead to enter the corner first.. :driver:

pdreams

Nov 6, 2009
Singapore
actually sure 2:42 stock CTR can be done by very good driver cos i got see before good driver do 2:43 so i dun really doubt what faisal say. HMRT driver sure fast one
prob better than anyone who post on dis thread
but of course will be nice to see for myself one day

is the other people tok cock one that i straight tell them TOK COCK!!! HMRT driver 2:42 but still dare say 2:37? 5 second better than factory driver in same stock car? TOK COK!!!! i see many good driver difference compare pro driver not even 2 sec then suddenly got 5 sec
must be asia schumacher who not yet discovered yet
should be hire by F1 team soon
SIAO
The idea is HMRT or no HMRT, until its done, witness and recorded, its talk.

Nothing against HMRT drivers but interpolation in driving hardly works, too many variables.

But yah, 2:37 with little bit here and there, personally, its still hard to swallow.

Then again, those people who post such timings probably do not have anything to prove. And really, there is no way for them to prove.

I always wanted to organise a stock FD2R challenge for say 20 people, each person pay SGD$8,000 or RM equivalent to take part. Fastest average time wins FD2R. Competition will run staggered with each driver using his tires for the day for morning, afternoon and evening session. Everyone will have a chance to run in all conditions. Not sure if 8K person is enough to cover track fees, tires, brake fluid change etc. Just a rough estimate.

Seriously, if you know you are 2:37, why would you not take part right?

My guess is no one will take part still. Anybody wants to take up organisation of such an event??

Cheers :biggrin:

Last edited:

Laptimer

Known Member
Nov 7, 2009
KL
The idea is HMRT or no HMRT, until its done, witness and recorded, its talk.
must see who is toking

ross brawn say he seen schumacher do 2:20 then no need to doubt cos they all professionals and their words is almost never lie. they job must be accurate

ah seng say he seen ah beng do 2:20 then i sure doubt cos they all jus like all other enthusiast
anyhow say they got hear ah di hear ah leng got see ah chuan do the 2:20 while following ah beng last time dunno when I LAFF ALOT!!! :rofl::rofl:

in btwn ross brawn and ah seng got many level must see what level those who tok is and must see what kind of claim they saying

romen_

Known Member
Aug 31, 2005
kl
Sunday's 29th nov track day was nice, little traffic, nice weather.

me driving evo 8 stock boost/turbo, suspension, brakes, 20% tires falken ziex street type, 180kmh speed cut, (everything stock except for air filter and exhaust)

did 2m58s

i reckon i could go faster without the speedcut and better tires + brakes, but it wont actually be considered stock-stock anymore... also very lazy to shift into 5th gear at turn 4 as it was a short distance only to have to shift down again.

highlight of the day, a myvi pulled away from me on the straight, after managed to side by side i hit speed cut and he went ahead to enter the corner first.. :driver:

woah, 2m58 is fast already.. im sure better track oriented tyres + speedcut removal will net you a 15sec better time?

lol bro was it the white one?
He's probably gotten 120-130whp at the wheels, it's got a bolt on turbo..
accelerates like hell especially since the car only weights 1000kg :rofl::rofl:

dawg

Known Member
Nov 29, 2003
Selangor
dawgsevo.blogspot.com
yeap it was a white one.

Well with a 2m 58s timing, and sepang having 15 turns, lets see if it is possible for me to reduce at least 0.5sec per turn, this will help me to reduce my timing 7-8s to estimated 2m 50s (hopefully next track day).

I believe hitting high rev range + more late braking can further improve the timings given the same set up.

dawg

Known Member
Nov 29, 2003
Selangor
dawgsevo.blogspot.com
13 DEC Track, nice hot weather, not much traffic and red lights.

With exact same car (Evo8 stock except the open pod air filter and catback exhaust) running on Falken Ziex (old, hard, about 15% treading left), 180kmh speedcut in place, stock brake system, stock suspension, running stock boost.

Video recorded 2m52s.
Off video recorded and using a timer is 2m50s-2m51s (taking into consideration inaccuracy of using the timer) best timing of the day but sadly unrecoded as my cam only have 30mins rec time.

akuma

3,000 RPM
Jul 16, 2005
Kuantan
dawg,
dun mind me saying dis but aren't u taking unnecessarily risk by running w those tyres?15% thread left???

dawg

Known Member
Nov 29, 2003
Selangor
dawgsevo.blogspot.com
akuma,

Yep I'm aware that these tires are pretty much gone, the compound is hard already and offers no grip. Only a few corners where I over shoot enter grass especially turn 9 where I always cant get the lining perfect and understeer to eat grass lol. I believe 1 sec can be shed easily once I get the lining correct (as well as better tires for that corner)...

Had to test out what those street tires could do before my next set of tires come in. Planning to use Good Year RS Sports. Now that I know 2m50s is possible with those tires, a better grip and performance like Good Year RS Sports should even improve timing by hopefully 2-3secs (or 2m45s hopefully lol).

As what this tread had been discussing, some certain stock cars can hit 2m42s to 2m45s. It seems very do-able. Under the hands of a professional driver, I will believe a stock evo can hit below 2m40s. Doc Lim's personal best for evo8 is 2m38s (speed cut removed, air filter and exhaust mod only rest is stock), not sure the tires, but definitely not slick or semi slicks type.

romen_

Known Member
Aug 31, 2005
kl
dawg,

I think what bro akuma is worried about is a tyre blow out on track.. that's much more dangerous :)

blue.taxi

Known Member
Nov 27, 2006
btw, any know where to get the last year sepnag time attack result?

Yee

500 RPM
Nov 16, 2003
Anton Lavey
Hi all, did 2.55" on my Satria Gti R3 with a passenger beside on 15 April 2010, my 5th track day.

Mods:

Tires: F&R: Toyo R888
Suspension: D2 racing hi/lo/soft/hard, F: 9k(JIC) R: 6k(D2 racing)
Exhaust system: Front to back 2" piping.

Engine and the rest all stock, full interior but without spare tires.

what timing do you guys think is ideal for a stock gti like mine in sepang? can anybody pls share a bit??

Last edited:

WAFS

500 RPM
Jan 2, 2005
Ampang
Hi all, did 2.55" on my Satria Gti R3 with a passenger beside on 15 April 2010, my 5th track day.

Mods:

Tires: F&R: Toyo R888
Suspension: D2 racing hi/lo/soft/hard, F: 9k(JIC) R: 6k(D2 racing)
Exhaust system: Front to back 2" piping.

Engine and the rest all stock, full interior but without spare tires.

what timing do you guys think is ideal for a stock gti like mine in sepang? can anybody pls share a bit??
I think for your setting considering you're using the R888, a 2.51s (without passenger) is achievable.

Just to share, I did 2.44s on a DC5 about 3 months ago.

My DC5 spec:
Stock Engine/ECU
Tein Flex coilover
Tyre Front Toyo R888 235/45/17
Tyre Rear Bridgestone RE01-R 235/45/17
Straightflow exhaust / de-cat / end muffler
Brake pad-EBC Yellow

Any comment on my time are most welcome. I'm not sure i'm fast or not.

Last edited:

Yee

500 RPM
Nov 16, 2003
Anton Lavey
wafs: hopefully i can achieve that time also...but it's really hard to get even 1 sec of improvement on circuit :P been doing 2.57 previously, till i found some tricks on some chicane.

need someone to bring me 1 round to show me the racing line. :)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi everyone...

u know the 'hole' where air cond comes out
got 'leave' we can adjust air flow direction one?

where can buy that thing?
mine is old car... easy to find?

and...
how to install it?

anyone can teach me?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience