[Silly question] How Car Alarm works & how to beat the system?

potato

Known Member
Oct 15, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
Am reading an intro on how car alarm works:

HowStuffWorks "How Car Alarms Work"

But normally most people won't know what kind of alarm their car system has & manufacturers normally won't tell you as they believe less people know less compromise.

Even with modern alarm system, many people still find it easy to defeat the alarm system, so i'm curious:

1.If you damage the alarm computer, everything will be ok? No fail safe setup?

2.If you cut the wires from the power source everything ok? Assuming there's no backup power.

3.What about those built in gear lock, steering lock, ignition breaker? Are they also compromised once you defeated the alarm computer?

4.Do most cars (Proton, Perodua, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Merc, BMW) have sequential code so everytime you lock/unlock the car it switches to the next code instead of using the same code?

5.Some cars doesn't allow you to start the engine even you hotwire it without having the keys in, but seems they can be easily defeated, but how?

6.Some cars has GPS tracking but still able to defeat.

I know discussing about these will probably provide more info on how to defeat car alarm system but at least more people have an idea how & what their car alarm operate, and maybe come up with some addtional protection? Most people when choosing alarms are like choosing between Coke or Pepsi, but which one is healthier?

zenlim

Known Member
Oct 30, 2006
Yup..this is a good thread..Anyone who have an idea should post here. Let create some awareness and help members to choose the best alarm system at reasonable price.

This is what i see usually in this section. When ppl asking about which alarm is the best. Seldom there is constructive reply. Often ppl give shit reply about what alarm also useless, end of the day car still get stolen and etc.

Then when the car lost edi only post here post there ask for help. damm..

ToY_mAcHiNe5

Known Member
Sep 1, 2008
hmmm..the lock actually to prolong the time taken by thieves to steal the car.. at the same time, if the thieves are stupid than ur car will be safe..
but, nowadays people around seems like ignored when ur car alarm keep sound.. that`s bad sign for ur car to be alert by others if smthng happen.

the things is, have to put the alarm module or wiring at very2 secret place..but thieves is clever nowadays.. i think tracking system might help ur car..maybe?

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
discussing how to beat/defeat an alarm system in public might no be such an good idea....but in short...there quite a lot of topics regarding the "best alarm system and etc.

What i read and cover so far...MOST alarm systems are defeat-able ...now days there are so many gadgets available to disable systems...

but if you are using oem alarm systems, thieves can always study the alarm system from one of the cars and apply the knowledge to steal the same model vehicles...if you use an aftermarket alarm system....like 2 way alarm,anti hi jack system,immobilizer, and etc....the most important part to prevent/slow down the thieves to disable your alarm is to hide the ecu and try to complicate the wiring....

try to think of it this way..if the alarm system can be installed or un-installed by any mechanic who is good in wiring....that is a sign to indicate that no alarm system is safe if the person is good with wiring...

alarm systems can only slow them down,and buy time...after a while the thief will get anxious cause he is taking too long and MIGHT just leave your car alone...

hachiroku clan

500 RPM
Oct 16, 2008
I've seen myvis being unlocked without the alarm triggering..
Bonet opened via front fender, then use a jumper wire to wire 2 fuses in the fuse box.. N wallah! Car is unlocked!
Another way is using the remote to unlock it.. This alarm salesman unlocked his kancil this his remote, n my friends' myvi unlocked too! He didnt tell how, in case ur wondering..
Btw this salesman was selling this magnetic type of ignition system.. Tap the magnetic card at its receiver, then only the ignition is 'unlocked'.. Otherwise, the car wont start.. Personally i think this system is easily tricked.. Oh yeah, it cost rm1300-rm1800!

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Beside Hup Shun Sunway, where else? :rolleyes:
Prefer area around subang/sunway. :rolleyes:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience