Engine Sudden Lost of Power?

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
Hi fellow bro's.

A couple of ppl i know,including my self have experience this issue...out of no where,suddenly you feel there is a noticeable lost of power,some others have other symptoms such as car jerks at certain RPM's....some ppl experienced when vtec kicks(example : 5k rpm),it feels as if there is a rev cut or like engine misfiring for 2-3 seconds then the engine continues to pull through 6,7,8k rpm like normal...but just with less power or not like before....all of this scenario's happened without having any recent mods to the engine,or upgrades or changes...it just happened suddenly.

I am just sharing what we went thought this traumatizing event....after many painful troubleshooting...and the thought that your car will never be the way it was...posting this in hopes that you guys don't face this painful process like we did.

Things we checked/changed :

1.Oil pressure
2.Vtec Solenoid
3.Valve Train
4.Fuel pump
5.Spark plugs
6.Cams
7.Spark Plug Cables
8.Map Sensor

All of the above did not resolve the issue.

Cant really remember what other checking was done...but all of us found the same resolution....it was the ECU....if you have a re-chipped ECU..changing the chip might not be enough...when you change only the chip...the cars performance is improved but it doesn't perform the way its use to...but when we changed a different ECU and re-chip that ECU..then the performance is returned to its prime time...

so ...just remember...when you guys face this issue...if possible just borrow a friends/mechs ECU...and test that 1st....to save you from all the hassle above...

Have a nice Day.:driver:

Last edited:

E-Tech

Jun 28, 2005
Johor
Or as I has posted and advised.... SEND YOUR ECU for caps replacements...
After caps change some experince smoother and stronger pull......

Some chips spolit because the pin broken or half broken after many in and out of socket
without using the proper method of tool...

Some case, it was inserted reversed direction, then later correct it but chip already half life...

Some case sticker covering the glass on the was removed or koyak thus exposed to uv causing
data inside partially erased....

AD EG,
If you any lubang of rosak ecu pls throw to me..... kay.. TQ:biggrin:

arrowhead

Aug 20, 2004
Damansara/PJ
bro,

glad u've solved ur issue like how i did to mine. so rupa2nya its ecu for u also huh? mine was the chip anyways... so quite related.

but u've missed out a couple of what i chanaged as well.

TSP Sensor
Fuel Relay
Fuel Filter
Distributor

and yes, just to recap, either u can opt as what bro E-Tech is trying to shout about, or what me and bro AD_EG went thru, the "rechip" chip.

so try swapping the ecu first.

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
Or as I has posted and advised.... SEND YOUR ECU for caps replacements...
After caps change some experince smoother and stronger pull......

Some chips spolit because the pin broken or half broken after many in and out of socket
without using the proper method of tool...

Some case, it was inserted reversed direction, then later correct it but chip already half life...

Some case sticker covering the glass on the was removed or koyak thus exposed to uv causing
data inside partially erased....

AD EG,
If you any lubang of rosak ecu pls throw to me..... kay.. TQ:biggrin:
Sure bro will update you soon....Where is your location in Johor?

bro,

glad u've solved ur issue like how i did to mine. so rupa2nya its ecu for u also huh? mine was the chip anyways... so quite related.

but u've missed out a couple of what i chanaged as well.

TSP Sensor
Fuel Relay
Fuel Filter
Distributor

and yes, just to recap, either u can opt as what bro E-Tech is trying to shout about, or what me and bro AD_EG went thru, the "rechip" chip.

so try swapping the ecu first.
Yeah bro...looks like mine was the same case as you...Wat was real funny,when you posted your problem...i advised you to check ECU 1st...now....when i have a problem....i do that last ..and its the easiest...:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

lolx....anyways yeah my problem is solved... :biggrin:

bro arrow,thanks for sharing what you went through ...and sharing your issue with me over the phone...after i spoke to you...i was 99% confident it was definitely my ECU...

arrowhead

Aug 20, 2004
Damansara/PJ
no problem bro, after all, we both were trying to solve some funny issue... we overlooked out ecu's capabilities... hahahaha.

camp

Known Member
Mar 22, 2006
Bro, just want to ask, all the above only happen to re-chip ecu or will happen to any standard ecu?

arrowhead

Aug 20, 2004
Damansara/PJ
both of ours were re-chip's. oem ecu's... honestly i'm not sure. it could, hard to say.

E-Tech

Jun 28, 2005
Johor
Bro, just want to ask, all the above only happen to re-chip ecu or will happen to any standard ecu?
Based on repair history...std or chipped also will happen.
If during chipping time they change the caps for you then... basically only std will happen.:biggrin:

camp

Known Member
Mar 22, 2006
Based on repair history...std or chipped also will happen.
If during chipping time they change the caps for you then... basically only std will happen.:biggrin:
If that so, how to make sure that my ecu is ok or not beside waithing for the problem occour first?

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
If that so, how to make sure that my ecu is ok or not beside waithing for the problem occour first?
Drive a Honda Civic EK/Eg Must Read - this is bro's E-tech Thread

This might be the only way for early detection...open up your ECU and check if your capacitors have any signs of leakage....if not have to wait for it to happen....

pencalat

500 RPM
Nov 20, 2006
JB
haaa i got 1 ecu from my fren...
bro e-tech pls pm me ur hp......
wanna send it to u maaaa.......

E-Tech

Jun 28, 2005
Johor
haaa i got 1 ecu from my fren...
bro e-tech pls pm me ur hp......
wanna send it to u maaaa.......

Bro... foc for me? Thanks...:biggrin:
If got the medical history better still...
e.g now what is the trouble... CEL codes...have anyone tried to repair it....

If can repair,,, will try to do it...
If cannot...korbankan dan ambill spare part only... Thanks...

Anyone else have honda ecu which already "dead" and want to donate for
my "donate your ecu" program?...:wavey:

camp

Known Member
Mar 22, 2006
Bro... foc for me? Thanks...:biggrin:
If got the medical history better still...
e.g now what is the trouble... CEL codes...have anyone tried to repair it....

If can repair,,, will try to do it...
If cannot...korbankan dan ambill spare part only... Thanks...

Anyone else have honda ecu which already "dead" and want to donate for
my "donate your ecu" program?...:wavey:
Bro E-Tech, got such program meh? you should start new thread for that program....my be many people will donate to you....:hmmmm:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

It seats four, has four wheel drive and one rear end that would make even Jennifer Lopez insecure. This is the successor to Ferrari’s flagship 612 Scaglietti, currently codenamed the FF (Ferrari Four), in lieu of it being the brand’s first four-wheel drive vehicle.

While the men from Maranello will probably never admit it, we can’t be more delighted to see that the rumours were actually true and that the...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience