Increasing the engine performance...

liz@rd

Known Member
Sep 25, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
Exactly!
Performance = more fuel+air mixture.. Thats the main purpose of forced induction.. But in this care since its NA, easiest way is cams n open pod + exhaust.. No need to go to tuner every now n then..
that's easy to say , tuning cams is not easy ...

Id love to see who's so "smart" to buy a standalone for a waja :rofl:.
How much does a set cost anyway without tuning?
my guess for a standalone would be easily >RM3k , and that's without tuning ...

aiyo.this is more confusing than ever..huhuhu
yeah , it was nvr simple , IMO , to start off , u better off start with suspension and tires ... wait till you could satisfy your achievement in controlling the car then only start talking bout upgrade the engine , or else will end up

Fast car + Poor Handling/Experience = Accident Prone = Injury/Death = Nuisance to others

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
I think the waja grips well but the suspension is kinda soft, what you think liz@rd? :wavey:

one1002

Known Member
Jun 4, 2009
tyres and suspensions i've done..and air filter..i'm using 17 inch..215/45/17 for rear..215/40/17 for front..using hi lo soft hard adjustable..i know some might say 17 inch will decrease ur performance..but i do like the looks..hehe..kinda suit with waja..my driving skills is above average i could say..been doin a lot of cornering here n there..not to be proud to myself..but yeah,i think my handling is quite ok..

so,u dont actually recommend using a highcam?i need to know if there's any complications when using a high cam + adjustable cam pulley..what will the rpm b like..been hearing ppl talking about idling prob..especially when the aircond is turned on..

let say if i want to do the mods i've listed,does it effects the reliability of the engine?can it last long enough?

---------- Post added at 01:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 AM ----------

I think the waja grips well but the suspension is kinda soft, what you think liz@rd? :wavey:
yea the stock brakes and tires was quite ok..but the suspension is soft..but when i changed to 17 inch rim,wider tyre and adjustable,its a lot better i could say.. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
tyres and suspensions i've done..and air filter..i'm using 17 inch..215/45/17 for rear..215/40/17 for front..using hi lo soft hard adjustable..i know some might say 17 inch will decrease ur performance..but i do like the looks..hehe..kinda suit with waja..my driving skills is above average i could say..been doin a lot of cornering here n there..not to be proud to myself..but yeah,i think my handling is quite ok..

so,u dont actually recommend using a highcam?i need to know if there's any complications when using a high cam + adjustable cam pulley..what will the rpm b like..been hearing ppl talking about idling prob..especially when the aircond is turned on..

let say if i want to do the mods i've listed,does it effects the reliability of the engine?can it last long enough?
Oh say so lah, hahaha. Exhaust youve done yet? *Headers arrrr, not muffler change only :proud:*

Go get high cam+cam pulley+port and polish. It helps the last step in na mods. EH ALSO get an E-manage or something to tune the extra air and fuel.

It wont be drastic difference lah, lets say a normal car's engine can last 30 years normal use maybe now 28? I doubt it'll affect much :biggrin: (Just my thoughts, I have no idea)

Aircon part I dunno, im still using stock cams. :smokin:

liz@rd

Known Member
Sep 25, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
IMO , i think waja's handling is quite good lor ... haha

---------- Post added at 01:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 AM ----------

yea the stock brakes and tires was quite ok..but the suspension is soft..but when i changed to 17 inch rim,wider tyre and adjustable,its a lot better i could say.. :rofl::rofl::rofl:
17" wor brother , of coz le ... hehe if it wasnt the clearance problem for me i would also get a 17" le ... seriously talking bout reliability of an engine , hmmmm i would say a regular service and not red line all the time will make it last longer , mine is currently 180++k but still can yield out a satisfying torque which sometimes i think i still cant handle it well ...

anyway which batch of waja u are using ?

hachiroku clan

500 RPM
Oct 16, 2008
Bro what adjustables ur using? N how much?
I dont keep up with the street prices these days.. Huhu

one1002

Known Member
Jun 4, 2009
Oh say so lah, hahaha. Exhaust youve done yet? *Headers arrrr, not muffler change only :proud:*

Go get high cam+cam pulley+port and polish. It helps the last step in na mods. EH ALSO get an E-manage or something to tune the extra air and fuel.

It wont be drastic difference lah, lets say a normal car's engine can last 30 years normal use maybe now 28? I doubt it'll affect much :biggrin: (Just my thoughts, I have no idea)

Aircon part I dunno, im still using stock cams. :smokin:
what's the difference between emanage and the microtech that guy was talking about?

IMO , i think waja's handling is quite good lor ... haha

17" wor brother , of coz le ... hehe if it wasnt the clearance problem for me i would also get a 17" le ... seriously talking bout reliability of an engine , hmmmm i would say a regular service and not red line all the time will make it last longer , mine is currently 180++k but still can yield out a satisfying torque which sometimes i think i still cant handle it well ...

anyway which batch of waja u are using ?
i'm using 2003 waja.. =)

Bro what adjustables ur using? N how much?
I dont keep up with the street prices these days.. Huhu
GAB adjustable..1000..including installation..got a promo price.. :rofl::rofl:

tigger5251

Known Member
Sep 18, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
Standalone dont you have to get a base air+fuel map from scratch? How much would that cost? :smokin: Then theres the idling etc etc. Theres a reason why people dont jump into microtech, motec or any standalone on street engines y'know...

And the 272 cams, how you going to get more performance if your base mods arent covered? The higher lift cams allow more air/fuel into the engine by holding the valves open for marginaly longer.

If ur 272 cams can flow as much as 600cfm of air but ur exhaust+intake limited to 330cfm whats the point? Wasting your time and money for cams weih.Then of course with more air theres more fuel needed, and if his injectors are maxed out how? Change to bigger ones? Sound lagi complicated then proven intake+exhaust upgrades man. :rolleyes:
LOL, standalone answers everything for anyone to get more power, better consumption, hands down no regrets at all. I dont know how u calculate things or even experiencing and driving any standalone cars before.

With a standalone, a car can safely rev up to 9000rpm with the right high cam, increasing up to 15% more torque and 15% more horse power on higher rev. If the car is not a track car and doesnt stays on high revs all the time (example street car), using a standalone, highcam and fuel regulator, is more than good enough. If it's a track car, then it needs forge piston, oil catch tank, fuel regulator, oil cooler and more performance aftermarket internal.

What gives REAL power is the engine.The exhaust / intake will only give minimal improvement WITHOUT a good engine managment.

---------- Post added at 10:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 AM ----------

Standlone i also donno how much..
But its much worth it if u DONT buy it, at this stage of modding..
Hehe..
Open pod air filter + exhaust could be below 2k..
Suspension below 2k also.. Can get adjustable one if ur lucky..
A microtech LT8, for a used one, can easily get it at RM2500. If u really understand what a standalone CAN do, u will feel like an idiot wasting time on other things that gives minimal improvement. A souped up engine with whatever shits inside, WITHOUT a management, will NEVER perform 100%.

With a standalone, I'd say u can easily get 140hp on crank, which is competitive to a stock 2000cc engine
My humble sharing with u guys.

Rule no1 : Bigger pistons means more power (more low end torque!)
Rule no2 : Different rev points, NEEDS different A/F, MANAGEMENT is crucial!
Rule no3 : Highcam burns more fuel in mid to hi revs, increasing higher revs produces more peak power, good for acceleration during corners.
Rule no4 : Street cars donot need to be hardcore specs, u dont drive with peak power all the time. U only need TORQUE to move around.

But its your money, u can spend according to your preference :)

---------- Post added at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 AM ----------

From wiki.....

The SOHC 4G18 displaces 1.6 L (1584 cc) with a bore and stroke of 76.0 mm x 87.3 mm. It is a 4-valve per cylinder engine. Output is 105 PS net at 6000 rpm (Middle East specifications) , 122 ps gross (Gulf Countries specification), 96 PS net with 151 NM (European specifications).

With a standalone, I believe, at least can make 140hp on crank, about 120whp. Torque can easily 160-180nm.

Last edited:

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
LOL, standalone answers everything for anyone to get more power, better consumption, hands down no regrets at all. I dont know how u calculate things or even experiencing and driving any standalone cars before.
With a standalone, a car can safely rev up to 9000rpm with the right high cam, increasing up to 15% more torque and 15% more horse power on higher rev. If the car is not a track car and doesnt stays on high revs all the time (example street car), using a standalone, highcam and fuel regulator, is more than good enough. If it's a track car, then it needs forge piston, oil catch tank, fuel regulator, oil cooler and more performance aftermarket internal.

What gives REAL power is the engine.The exhaust / intake will only give minimal improvement WITHOUT a good engine managment.

---------- Post added at 10:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 AM ----------

A microtech LT8, for a used one, can easily get it at RM2500. If u really understand what a standalone CAN do, u will feel like an idiot wasting time on other things that gives minimal improvement. A souped up engine with whatever shits inside, WITHOUT a management, will NEVER perform 100%.
With a standalone, I'd say u can easily get 140hp on crank, which is competitive to a stock 2000cc engine
My humble sharing with u guys.

Rule no1 : Bigger pistons means more power (more low end torque!)
Rule no2 : Different rev points, NEEDS different A/F, MANAGEMENT is crucial!
Rule no3 : Highcam burns more fuel in mid to hi revs, increasing higher revs produces more peak power, good for acceleration during corners.
Rule no4 : Street cars donot need to be hardcore specs, u dont drive with peak power all the time. U only need TORQUE to move around.

But its your money, u can spend according to your preference :)

---------- Post added at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 AM ----------

From wiki.....

The SOHC 4G18 displaces 1.6 L (1584 cc) with a bore and stroke of 76.0 mm x 87.3 mm. It is a 4-valve per cylinder engine. Output is 105 PS net at 6000 rpm (Middle East specifications) , 122 ps gross (Gulf Countries specification), 96 PS net with 151 NM (European specifications).

With a standalone, I believe, at least can make 140hp on crank, about 120whp. Torque can easily 160-180nm.
Okay now lets see... You've never DRIVEN one, have you even seen how long they take to tune a car from scratch? Microtech doesnt give a base air/fuel mixture from the factory to suit the waja's 4g18 engine. Even better yet, can rev to 9000rpm ar??? WOW! A SINGLE OVERHEAD CAM WAJA ENGINE TO 9000rpm? I also want lah. By saying no regrets im guessing youre running a microtech? How much power can you get out of a stock engine with JUST high lift cams and a standalone management? And how did the better consumption get about? With hi-cams it lifts the valves open for longer so MORE FUEL&AIR can go in. Amazing lah, more fuel used = more consumption isnt it? Oh and do tell why track cars need forged internals? Not every race car runs around with forged internals FYI.

Also with a BASIC upgrade of an open pod and exhaust, its common sense right there! Where the hell are you going to get air to burn IF ur intake CANT give you the air cause youre using protons stock air filter and with the hi-cams theres going to be MORE fuel and air to expell and thats where better free flowing headers come in.

The only part I can agree on your whole reply is A souped up engine without an aftermarket ecu cant run its best, and thats why piggybacks such as the E-MANAGE are easier to use on a daily basis. They just alter the stock air fuel ratios instead of getting MAKING an enitre new air fuel ratio.

tigger5251

Known Member
Sep 18, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
Ooooo, what u say is single cam canot perform ? U sure ? Have u seen 4G92 single cam beat the hell outta 4G93 ? HAVE U ?

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
Ooooo, what u say is single cam canot perform ? U sure ? Have u seen 4G92 single cam beat the hell outta 4G93 ? HAVE U ?
You tell me lah what the mods are on the 4g92 vs 4g93.

Ive seen d15 engines beat b16's in a straight line with much more performance lah :biggrin:. Its not impossible! But the owner spent alot of money in it hahaha. 4 throttles, oversized hi-comp pistons and cam'ed. CAN BE DONE, but if only the owner loves the car so much...

And tigger, go get ur eyes fixed. I said WAJA sohc, not a 4g92. 4g92 vs 4g18 is a different thing all togheter.

Last edited:

Yong_5290

3,000 RPM
Nov 4, 2004
Klang
hotmail.com
ahhaha...i have seen 20 years old 89whp single cam 4g63 beat a newly transplanted b16a..both auto
depends on mod la...i got kena tapau by kancil b4 also but how much he mod how i know?
tat fella really got balls....i 180kmh liaw he still can go...damn respect

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Some action shots from todays qualifying session of the Malaysian round of the 2010 Japan Super GT race series. Being the only round to take place out of Japan, the race also has to deal with the relentless heat that the Sepang International Circuit is known for, and today was no different...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience