What kinda race cup is this?

potato

Known Member
Oct 15, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
This afternoon while eating lunch & watching Astro Star Sports channel, they were showing some Integra cup (I only see Integra), seems they are racing two on two, nothing special, I think most drivers are Malaysians but the track is in Thailand.

They were showing 2 Integra, the Yellow car was behind and did a nice cut from the outside in 1 of the last few corners and seems to be winning the race, but suddenly on the last S turn the Blue Integra went outside of the track on the grass and cut straight into the 2nd of the S turn like what many people do in Gran Turismo forcing the Yellow car to run half side out of the track, the Blue car overtook the Yellow and went on the finishing line.

I am curious I though it's illegal to run outside of the track unless the car lost control. It's very obvious the guy wanted to win so badly he just took the shortcut & risk colliding with his opponent, and I don't think he got penalised for doing so.

So I'm wondering, is this allowed? What kinda race is this and what kinda rules did our Malaysian organizers laid out? I felt kinda disgraced with this Malaysian Blue car Chinese driver even though he won. Such a bad example & worst thing is it's shown on TV.

adian

Known Member
Nov 22, 2003
PJ
www.the-yeins.com
This is great discussion!! It's all about Racing Etiquette!!!

Historically, many experts believe that the 2 people most responsible for bastardising race etiquette were also 2 of the best F1 drivers the world has ever seen: Aryton Senna and Michael Schumacher.

Back before these monkeys came onto the scene, racing was purely "Best Man Wins". There was no blocking, no erratic and dangerous swerving, no pushing of your opponent onto the grass, no barging into your competitors, and no 'brake-testing' of your rival behind you. It was pure racing, where the faster guy would have the right to overtake, as long as he got side-by-side with you, then the corner would be his.

But Aryton and Michael introduced a new 'kiasu-ness' to circuit racing. They swerved side to side to block their opponents that were clearly quicker. Aryton famously pushed Prost so close to the wall in the Japanese GP of 1990 that the pit crew hanging off the wall all had to scramble to avoid their hands being taken off!

Michael of course is famous for blocking and barging into his rivals, notably Damon Hill, Villenueve, and Hakinen all got it.

It's a case of Monkey See, Monkey Do. When the guys at top-level do it, all the little 7yr old karters think it's all right to do so. As such, a whole generation of guys have now come up believing that it's ok to drive like a c*ckhead and endanger everyone else.

And in the case of Saloon Car racing, a bit of paint-swapping is very common. Watch the Touring Car races on TV and you see it. Back when I was racing in the MSS, I would go out in my Satria Super1600 and come back with a battered car, the front, rear, left, and right all hammered. The guys behind use you as a brake. The guys in front block you as you take them underbraking. The guys on the inside of you 'lean' on you in the middle of the corner. And the guy on the outside of you turn-in on you as they enter the corner. It's a farking battlefield!! Check my website, I think I still have some news and pics of those days.

It got to the point where the Clerk Of The Course would give us all a stern warning, and that any hanky-panky or argy-bargy on track was completely prohibited. But alas easier said than done. They can't see all the corners all the time, so they can't always see what's going on.

It'd ever get to the point where after the race we'd end up in fist fights over a racing incident, and the crew and teams would come together wielding spanners and hammers and all sorts of dangerous tools!!! Yeah I've been there :)

But overall, such driving is always frowned upon, and generally not acceptable. But sometimes, these guys get away with it. And I agree with you, it is disgraceful.

/adian

faisal

1,500 RPM
Oct 20, 2004
The Valley
ignition.my
potato,

I believe you were refferring to cutting across the track, avoiding the correct track altogether. Which is downright wrong actually as the actual course was avoided. In any FIA sanction event if a corner/chicane been cut across, the car doing so must yield the place gained.

Adian was referring to actual barging, with contact taking place. and swerving or blocking.

The movie ' Days of Thunder" is also to blame, with the immortal line " If it ain't rubbin, it ain't racing"

Saloon car door to door is one thing, but in single seaters it's downright dangerous as flipping of cars are not unheard off.

It happens even in karting, as I've had a friend break his collarbone , thanks to some fools barging him in a 100cc Club race.

BTW Senna's first name's spelled A-Y-R-T-O-N not ARYTON

soulV

Known Member
Nov 24, 2008
potato'
i believe it was the AFOS round in bira circuit thailand which i saw the same incident on astro....the driver which cut the line were given penalty by race official...he get 2nd place after adding time penalty if im not mistaken....very interesting event to watch

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I'm looking for an AT car for my mum with budget around RM15,000, preferable not more than 10 years old.
What's in my mind are:

1. Kancil
2. Kenari
3. Kelisa
4. Hyundai Atos

She is short and small size, just got her licence a few moons ago. My dad Jimmy is too hard for her, she will use the car in a small town. I would be glad with some inputs from you guys about this. Which would be the best considering quality, reliability, FC and maintenance? I just couldn't decide on this yet...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience