RON 97 or RON 95 for turbo?

fadin_remorse

Known Member
May 28, 2008
is it possible to fill in ron 95 and retune the car to spec to boost safely i mean for standard turbo engines not heavily modded ones. Noob asking questions here

turbolover

1,000 RPM
Nov 17, 2005
Yeah, sadly there no way we know it's ron97 we are paying for sure.i get lousy mileage now.

changchewsoon

Known Member
Oct 10, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
www.viosturbo.com
For those who complaint about engine knocking and pinging during hot weather driving with RON95, you might want to consider a water/methanol injection kit.

I have an AEM water/methanol injection kit installed for quite some time already, not only I'm able to run lower octane fuel, I can increase the engine's ignition timing without worrying about engine knocking at all, even under the hot scorching sun.

So your car runs cool and very responsive even its super hot outside.

You guys might want to watch this video clip to understand more how does a water/methanol injection kit work and its benefits, why I chose AEM over other brands and also a glimpse of the action as well.

I know this 2 typical questions will the most asked, so I'll list it down here.

Question: How much does the water/methanol kit costs? And how much the refill will be and how is the consumption rate like?
Answer: My AEM kit costs around RM 2K with installation, it comes with a 1 gallon tank, a progressive controller, a progressive pump, couple of nozzles, hoses, mounting brackets and also a low level sensor.

There are cheaper models available from Snow Performance, it does not have progressive pump and it does not have low level sensor. Pretty much useless as it can only be engaged when you're on wide throttle, and you wouldn't know when you're running low on water/methanol and had to visibly check but the costs is like half of AEM.

They do have the same progressive kit as AEM though, but it cost around RM200-RM300 more than the AEM kit.

I bought 15 gallons of water/methanol mixture for RM 100, and 1 gallon lasts me about 8-10 full petrol tank refill. 1 gallon is about 3.8 liter, so 15 gallons of water/methanol equals to 56 liters of water/methanol.

Say we take an average of 1 gallon = 8 full petrol refill, 15 gallon gives you around 120 times of petrol tank refill, or 56 liters of water/methanol will support you up to 120 times of petrol tank refill.

Question: What is your mileage now after you have installed the kit?
Answer: The main goal of installing a water/methanol kit is not to increase mileage, although you may in a way benefit from it. Its main goal is to increase your octane rating so that you could run more aggressive timing without risking of engine knocking, and it also acts as a cooling mechanism so that your engine will not knock so easily. Some people actually runs full time water/methanol injection and they totally forgo the intercooler for shorter pipings.

My city driving averages about 450-480 KM, but it is not directly related to this kit although the kit helps. What happened was I was able to run much leaner resulted in less fuel required to burn, and therefore contributes to lower fuel consumption. But my car still feels responsive as ever even with RON95.

If you're expecting to have a lot more mileage by just installing this kit alone, then you should probably save the money for something else. You will need a piggyback to adjust your air/fuel ratio and to increase your timing in order to fully benefit from this kit. So for those who already has piggyback installed in their car can consider it.

Conclusion
So, to cut it short you want to install this kit because you want to pump RON95 but when it burns you get the octane rating of 110 or even more. You also want to install this kit when you're driving under the scorching hot sun but your intake air temp is super cool resulting in a more responsive throttle.

In countries like USA, RON91 is considered premium fuel and most of them are still using RON89, and with the water/methanol injection kit they are able to produce lots of powers even with lower octane fuel.

You may want to run 100% pure water, that will only give you the benefit of cooling the air intake temperature. Mix it with methanol, you'll get higher octane ratings. Think of it as cheap race fuel if you want.

Just my 2 cents.

More FAQ& pictures added

Question: How much space required for the tank?
Answer: See pictures below

Question: What sorts of modification is needed on the engine bay?
Answer: Nothing special required, just find a location to fit in the nozzle. Anywhere in the air filter intake pipe before your throttle body.
(The black color hose is for the water/methanol injection kit)

Question: Where did you install it, how long it took and how much?
Answer: I purchased the kit from GT Auto and had it installed by them as well. The price varies depending on the amount of work that is needed to be done on your car, such as hose fittings, bracket fabrications etc etc. Overall, you can prepare a budget between RM 2K and 2.3K to be on the really safe side. The installation took 1 day.

Question: What is the mixture ratio between the methanol/water? Is it safe?
Answer: I am currently running a 50/50 mixture, which is the most recommended ratio and yes it is perfectly safe. You can literally try to burn the mixture directly by using a lighter and nothing is gonna happen.

Question: Can I just run plain water?
Answer: Yes you can, but without methanol you will not be able to enjoy the benefit of the higher octane rating. However, you could still enjoy the lowered cool air intake temp and higher resistance to knocking.

Question: Why do you choose AEM and how do you compare it to other brands?
Answer: I have also evaluated Snow Performance before I decided to go with AEM. AEM comes standard with the progressive pump, and also the low water level sensor. But mainly the reason was the progressive pump. To me, it doest really serve any purpose if you can't control the amount of mixture that goes in to your engine. Also, the pump from AEM is a recirculative design which is far more efficient than others using pulsation design.

The Snow Performance basic kit does not come with a progressive controller and low water level sensor, however you can purchase them separately to add on. The AEM gave me the best bang for my dollar after calculation and hence I went with it.

Last edited:

jds3340

Sep 29, 2009
pahang
before this i use ron 95 but my engine was always like do not support the gas..
n then i change to ron 97 and i dont have any problem..
my opinions is the ron 97 is more better for turbo engine but we lost our mileage..hehe

veilsideboyz

1,500 RPM
Oct 28, 2008
Haha...Ron 95 and Ron97...just different 20 cent..
I confirm that all turboed car wont look at their fuel while driving :biggrin:

changchewsoon

Known Member
Oct 10, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
www.viosturbo.com
haha, i do cos im a cheapskate :biggrin:

thats why i installed a water/methanol injection kit, cos wanna pump cheap fuel but don't want engine knocking.

highly recommend it, pump ron95 but get better quality than ron97.

allance

Known Member
May 12, 2009
hey bro u say V power racing is RON 97+additive? i check on shell webside they say v-power is RON 98 old/ v-power racing is RON 100 new

Last edited: