Quite worrisome problem with my BNR34

BNR

Known Member
May 21, 2009
While cruising, usually at low speed, the engine would suddenly like died when I decided to step it up and make some speed, but its not really dead because its still running just that out of the sudden, it lost the normal sound from it's exhaust and sounded like 'spitting'... and at the same time even if u full throttle, it just won't respond to anything but 'spit'... I would need to downshift another gear, give it some rev only it would come back to normal.....
It would happen more frequently while the engine is still cold. No check lights came out, checked my plugs, seems to be still healthy. Could if be the plug cables? injectors? or anything worse..... Anyone of you all faces the same problem B4?

farizio

Known Member
Nov 26, 2007
KL
is your blow off still stock? could be blow off stuck.. or dirty

BNR

Known Member
May 21, 2009
Yup still very stock. will a stuck blow off causes this? Well, I can still get the 'kephssssss' sound from my stock blow off... does it mean it is not stuck?

gobiz

500 RPM
May 16, 2004
KL
Visit site
If it was me:

1. I would be very very happy I got a bnr34 :rofl:

2. I would definitely check the coils

3. If the above is okay, I would check ECU and the map...

(I'm not a mechanic)

farizio

Known Member
Nov 26, 2007
KL
Yup still very stock. will a stuck blow off causes this? Well, I can still get the 'kephssssss' sound from my stock blow off... does it mean it is not stuck?
sometimes when its dirty, at low rpms (low speed = low rpm usually) the stock blow off is slow to close (or was it open? tak ingat la) and can cause the engine to mati

i'm guessing you haven't driven your car in a while......happened to my car after lama tak start.. usually a few high rpm blasts and a bit of hooning should clear it up (this is the easy and fun way)

or you can take off the stock bumper and clean it up (the leceh but better way) - if you have a fancy aftermarket bumper like the R-Tune or Z-tune its easier because theres so many sexy aerodynamic holes where the blow off should be and you shouldnt have to remove it

zeus83

500 RPM
Oct 29, 2006
KL-Damansara
if im not mistaken, throttle body might be dirty....revving will not solve the issue

Last edited:

BNR

Known Member
May 21, 2009
Wah... so many different suggestions... guess i'll just send it in for checking.... but don't know whether it happens to you all also, everytime i send in my car to check on a problem, it always seems to be alright and therefore the mechanic can't determine anything..... sigh....

lonelylilpig

500 RPM
Feb 26, 2006
Can try send it to GT Auto in Sunway. They do a very good n neat job. Equipments are sufficient and working personnel is experience enough !!

farizio

Known Member
Nov 26, 2007
KL
Wah... so many different suggestions... guess i'll just send it in for checking.... but don't know whether it happens to you all also, everytime i send in my car to check on a problem, it always seems to be alright and therefore the mechanic can't determine anything..... sigh....
ahahaha i experienced the same thing.. by the time i drove to the mechanic car seemed fine and wont die at low speeds... but when i got home and tried starting it the next day the first few starts sure mati-mati unless i gave it some gas... and then when driving off it started dying on me at low rpm's eg; coming to a sharp corner/traffic light and braking till the revs drop low.. is this what you're going through BNR?

BNR

Known Member
May 21, 2009
ahahaha i experienced the same thing.. by the time i drove to the mechanic car seemed fine and wont die at low speeds... but when i got home and tried starting it the next day the first few starts sure mati-mati unless i gave it some gas... and then when driving off it started dying on me at low rpm's eg; coming to a sharp corner/traffic light and braking till the revs drop low.. is this what you're going through BNR?
Exactly! But anyway, Like I said earlier, it didn't actually died, engine still running, just that the engine can't rev up.... anyway, it happens only once in a while, guess i'll just wait and see.....

cosmicgate

Known Member
Oct 14, 2005
hello BNR, did you mean it will only rev up to 2.5k rpm even when u push the throttle all the way down?or just very low rpm like choking-choking like that?

BNR

Known Member
May 21, 2009
hello BNR, did you mean it will only rev up to 2.5k rpm even when u push the throttle all the way down?or just very low rpm like choking-choking like that?
It would be like 'chocking' and very low RPM..... but engine not dead..

farizio

Known Member
Nov 26, 2007
KL
It would be like 'chocking' and very low RPM..... but engine not dead..
you give it a few revs ok right?

i had the same problem, my engine cut a couple of times (a good month of not driving the car) but after that ok.. then didnt drive it for a few days it sputtered at low RPM, had to rev it a bit to get the engine back to normal... after driving it hard for a bit, the car got back to normal..

how often do you drive your car?

Last edited:

russwestwood

500 RPM
Feb 14, 2006
ofloveandcarbonfibre.blogspot.com
Do u have a boost meter? Or check your mfd, any pressure or not? If no pressure at all, it could be a split vaccum hose. Check you engine bay for any hoses not connected. If still persists, get it checked out by a mechanic. Since its dangerous to drive, i'd recommend getting it towed there or get him to come and see u. Hope this helps.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi all..

we sometimes saw those ppl mod
got open pod air filter

then they make like one area, is heat shielded one
so it only suck in cold air...

so how to make the heat seperated area?
what material to use?

cuase my engine bay quite large.. so got space. thinking to do this mod..

anyone can guide me?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience