HELP! Evo5 Gearbox. Take a look please..

Jin2244

Sep 30, 2009
Penang
I own a Mitsubishi Lancer 95,which the tail light same as Evo 4,5,6. Few months ago I had bought a Evo5 halfcut,and I thought it totally fit my lancer,eventually it doesn't. Now my car only running on 2wd,and without brembo at rear. Few days ago,my car broke down. And after my friend takes my gearbox out of the car,we found that..I don't know what we call that,might be the "shaft" inside the gearbox has snap into two. and the thing on the other picture,we custom made it.

My Question is..
1.Evo5 lock 4wd,the power will be less 50% ? (like what my friend locked,the power of the car is powerful,but he told me the "shaft" cannot stand for too long. unless i drive slowly,then it won't snap into two.)

2.One of mechanic which is from KL want to charges me RM800 for locking 4wd. and he said the power of my car will not be less than current,and the "shaft" will not snap into two like now. Is that believable?

3.Anyone faces the same case like me? Or anyone driving evo 4,5,6,waja with evo engine which is running on 2wd,so far your car got any problems?

I afraid that after I let the KL mechanic lock the gear,my car left 50% of power. My friend told me one idea which my "shaft" won't snap into two,but my car has only 50% of power. How to make it 2wd and also with 100% of power?

Please give me some idea,thanks alot!

Attachments

Last edited:

jinkl

4,000 RPM
May 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
I own a Mitsubishi Lancer 95,which the tail light same as Evo 4,5,6. Few months ago I had bought a Evo5 halfcut,and I thought it totally fit my lancer,eventually it doesn't. Now my car only running on 2wd,and without brembo at rear. Few days ago,my car broke down. And after my friend takes my gearbox out of the car,we found that..I don't know what we call that,might be the "shaft" inside the gearbox has snap into two. and the thing on the other picture,we custom made it.

My Question is..
1.Evo5 lock 4wd,the power will be less 50% ? (like what my friend locked,the power of the car is powerful,but he told me the "shaft" cannot stand for too long. unless i drive slowly,then it won't snap into two.)

2.One of mechanic which is from KL want to charges me RM800 for locking 4wd. and he said the power of my car will not be less than current,and the "shaft" will not snap into two like now. Is that believable?

3.Anyone faces the same case like me? Or anyone driving evo 4,5,6,waja with evo engine which is running on 2wd,so far your car got any problems?

I afraid that after I let the KL mechanic lock the gear,my car left 50% of power. My friend told me one idea which my "shaft" won't snap into two,but my car has only 50% of power. How to make it 2wd and also with 100% of power?

Please give me some idea,thanks alot!

err no such thing la bro , the evo5 gb if locked to 2wd will deliver jst as it supposed to
my mech changes much lesser than tht, not more than rm300 to lock it for evo456, its matter of opening and welding

Jin2244

Sep 30, 2009
Penang
I heard that evo1,2,3 lock 4wd are very easy,and the engine still afford to support 100% of power of the engine. But for evo4,5,6 might be a bit hard,because the "shaft" in the gearbox is only support the front,unlike evo1,2,3,they are sharing a "shaft" from front to back. That's why the "shaft" in evo4,5,6 could snap into two. am i correct?

evokit

Known Member
Aug 29, 2005
kuala lumpur
for evo 4,5,6 is not locking on the gearbox but lock on the center diff, if previously thegearbox is lock on the gearbox are wrong.

palama2661

Known Member
Mar 21, 2006
do it 4wd lah...buy the back cut also ...
fully convert then no problem will be happen again.
:rofl::driver:

kenzo

6,000 RPM
bro, locking the diff to front wheel only will not really cost that much, but that also depends on the workshop, i did mine around rm200, and plus, ur actually gonna lose lots of power and spoiled ur clutch without locking the gearbox, once lock, trust me, u can feel full response and power, mine had been running 2 years plus without any problem, just try not to launch, if can roll the car first then boost....

Jin2244

Sep 30, 2009
Penang
for evo 4,5,6 is not locking on the gearbox but lock on the center diff, if previously thegearbox is lock on the gearbox are wrong.
Lock on the center diff? I don't really understand,but the mechanic already done the locking system. Hopefully don't like what my friend told me,will be less 50% of response and power. The mechanic keep telling me won't won't won't,but i really afraid this will be happened.

---------- Post added at 02:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 PM ----------

do it 4wd lah...buy the back cut also ...
fully convert then no problem will be happen again.
:rofl::driver:
I do think before,but now I don't want my family spend more money on this car anymore. If i knew that we have to spend that much of money,I'll rather buy a original evo. Sob..Do you know the back cut that you mentioned around how much? :confused:

---------- Post added at 02:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 PM ----------

bro, locking the diff to front wheel only will not really cost that much, but that also depends on the workshop, i did mine around rm200, and plus, ur actually gonna lose lots of power and spoiled ur clutch without locking the gearbox, once lock, trust me, u can feel full response and power, mine had been running 2 years plus without any problem, just try not to launch, if can roll the car first then boost....
I'm very confuse now. I think the first time my friend help me to lock 4wd is like what you did on your car,if possible try not to launch it,and only boost your car when your car is running. But this is not a ideal idea,my car only running for 3 months,then the "shaft" got twisted and snap into two. And the other way to lock is,just leave the "shaft" which connected to the back like that. Don't bother it,means when you are running your car,the "shaft" will be running too,but will not give the car any response. So the front will only running..Do you mind to give me your contact number? I would like to speak to you,because I wanna know more about things you said. :banghead:

Jin2244

Sep 30, 2009
Penang
The transfer gear at the right hand side one is mine..Last time my mechanic cut away the shaft that i had highlight. See the different within the two transfer gear. and what is the use of the shaft? Is to push 4wd?

Attachments

Jin2244

Sep 30, 2009
Penang
he cut off???

i will ask my mech to check on this
No,the first time I lock 4wd,my mechanic cut off the shaft. Now the KL mechanic told me that without the shaft I cannot lock 4wd (by his own way to lock,I don't know whether the way he lock is like the way your mechanic lock or not). So he ask me to buy a new transfer gear to lock. Another thing that makes me confuse is,after we lock 4wd,can we re-open it? Means now I lock 4wd,may be after few months,I want to make my car 4wd,can I re-open it?

Solty8

Known Member
Nov 14, 2003
No,the first time I lock 4wd,my mechanic cut off the shaft. Now the KL mechanic told me that without the shaft I cannot lock 4wd (by his own way to lock,I don't know whether the way he lock is like the way your mechanic lock or not). So he ask me to buy a new transfer gear to lock. Another thing that makes me confuse is,after we lock 4wd,can we re-open it? Means now I lock 4wd,may be after few months,I want to make my car 4wd,can I re-open it?
It really depends how your mechanic lock your gearbox, some do it after shaft some b4. If u plan to quietly go 4WD i suggest u ask the mechanic doin it for u. But I think best is drive slow slow now, kautim jpj n all those stuff then only quietly 4WD.

Jin2244

Sep 30, 2009
Penang
The mechanic told me after lock 4wd,whenever i want to make my car to 4wd,it can be unlock. Is that true?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

TAR

Tarmac (short for tarmacadam, or tar-penetration macadam) is a type of road surfacing material
a petroleum production also known as bituminous surface treatment (BST) or "chip-seal",

in simple term .... Bitumen is the remnant of crude oil after the petrol....and there are a least hundreds of product available and the most effective ..like acidic base solvent...which widely pratice by car detailing shop (to save time and increase productivity)..petrol or...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience