What do I need to know before heading to the tracks?

tidalflux

Jun 2, 2009
Hellooo :biggrin: I've been thinking of going to the tracks recently, but before i do, what are the things i should take in consideration? :driver: Hoping to get some advice(s) from the other track gurus! :biggrin:

minivan

1,500 RPM
Jun 11, 2004
BBBangi/KL
Visit site
Car setup and all is important, but what i think is more important is knowing some basic track driving etiquette such as:

Don't speed in pit lanes;
Don't cross the white line when exiting the pits;
Observe the marshals flags;
Know the race lines (so u can get out of it, if ur slow/cooling down);
Don't make sudden changes in movement/lane changes (e.g. track car approaching from behind, most of the time, they'll know how and where to overtake u, so its safer just to stick to what ur doing rather then make sudden changes in ur movement or suddenly brake)
Drive at a pace YOU are comfortable at, don't sibuk-sibuk to follow/cucuk others, later can cucuk-cucuk..
Signals can/should be used on track;

Anything else guys? I'm sure there is... Its not rocket science, use ur brain and u'll be fine....

Car setup, many sifus here can also help...

Last edited:

lightningfield

2,000 RPM
Dec 29, 2004
Johor Bahru
www.ef-honda.com
first of all you must make sure your 'kuda' is in good condition before you bringing on the track ie brakes are in good condition, tyres are not bald, no oil leaking on the engine/gbox/, radiator has sufficient fluid, working brake lights etc etc..

then you have to prepare yourself before heading to the track. ie understanding/remembering the track layout, watch online videos of the track (tons of em in youtube) so you can have a feel of it and know where your racing line is, talk/discuss about the track with experienced people / friends. you'll never know what secret are they gonna share with u! last but not least, you must understand and fully adhere to the standard rules & regulations of motorsport, which can easily be sourced online..

if you have done all this, i believe you're well equipped to attend an open track day.

azizi.aziz

1,500 RPM
Jul 5, 2006
Just my 'cap ayam' advise...

Yourself
1. Don't forget to bring helmet
2. Sports glove is an optional
3. Sports shoes is mandatory
4. Be in control, don't follow other that familiar or pro drivers
5. Understand basic track rules i.e give way , overtake
6. Understand flags colour code

Yourcar
1. Do basic service...use high grade engine oil/gbox oil/ brake oil
2. No leakage from your engine / gbox
3. Use good coolant is recommended
4. No loose item in your car/boots i.e tissue box , mineral water bottle , your child milk bottle
5. Use high temp brake pad is recommended , Use BBK 6/4 pots is best
6. Suspension set up , camber setting >+2deg , toe out (front) , toe in (rear)
7. Better to have Oil/Exhaust/Water temp gauges and don't forget to monitor them...hehehe
8. Good condition tyre , semi/full slick tyre is recommended

Theory....Slow in Fast out is better than Fast in No out....

Normal drive for the start...understand corners/apex first...

If your car is not mean for track driving....rest for a while (1/2 hour) after every 3-4 laps and don't engage your handbrake after racing...

prasath_5338

1,000 RPM
Apr 20, 2005
1) check your engine oil level, brake pads/fluids and coolant level.

2) watch some famous videos from Subcon if you're not sure about gearing and racing line. ( highly reco).

3) prepare your BALLS...:thefinger:

hahf

Known Member
Jul 7, 2005
KL
with all the sifus advice above i only have 1 requirement to add:
viewing prasath track video is a must! :)

rev555

Known Member
Dec 30, 2007
the most important thing is....tidur cukup cukup............! hehehe

chinozie

Very Young Member... :D
Jul 5, 2004
Damansara
4age20v.blogsome.com
yup...good info...

beside that...
on your first ride on the track...
get an experience team member to guide you on the track...what's the do s and the don't s

i'm sure they are willing to teach you...

good luck and have fun a the track...!!!

pimpin323

500 RPM
Oct 6, 2004
i just make sure i keep an eye on my water tempreture gauge when im in the tracks. n allways remind your self that u still have to drive your car home after trashing it. towing back isnt fun on your pocket.

MaQuereau

Known Member
Mar 2, 2004
D'sara

Yourself

Yourcar
1. Do basic service...use high grade engine oil/gbox oil/ brake oil
2. No leakage from your engine / gbox
3. Use good coolant is recommended
4. No loose item in your car/boots i.e tissue box , mineral water bottle , your child milk bottle
5. Use high temp brake pad is recommended , Use BBK 6/4 pots is best
6. Suspension set up , camber setting >+2deg , toe out (front) , toe in (rear)
7. Better to have Oil/Exhaust/Water temp gauges and don't forget to monitor them...hehehe
8. Good condition tyre , semi/full slick tyre is recommended

Theory....Slow in Fast out is better than Fast in No out....

Normal drive for the start...understand corners/apex first...

If your car is not mean for track driving....rest for a while (1/2 hour) after every 3-4 laps and don't engage your handbrake after racing...
What will happen if engage the handbrake? you mean stationary in the pitt right..

Last edited:

tidalflux

Jun 2, 2009
Thanks alot guys, great amount of information! :) I think i can learn up the driving etiquette and such, just a little unsure about the car setup.

Yourself
Thanks, anyway, they dont provide the helmet?:confused:

1) check your engine oil level, brake pads/fluids and coolant level.

2) watch some famous videos from Subcon if you're not sure about gearing and racing line. ( highly reco).

3) prepare your BALLS...:thefinger:
Subcon is the track king here? :biggrin: Link of the video plz! And videos of yours too! :biggrin::biggrin:......and oh, balls would probably shrink once masuk track la haha :biggrin:

yup...good info...

beside that...
on your first ride on the track...
get an experience team member to guide you on the track...what's the do s and the don't s

i'm sure they are willing to teach you...

good luck and have fun a the track...!!!
Thanks......any pros kind enough to take me a few laps in their car? :rolleyes: :biggrin:

i just make sure i keep an eye on my water tempreture gauge when im in the tracks. n allways remind your self that u still have to drive your car home after trashing it. towing back isnt fun on your pocket.
Thanks...haha yea, just goin to the tracks alone isnt fun on my pockets, pokai habis if something happens to the ride haha.:biggrin:

fuazuri

Known Member
Jul 16, 2008
haloo there, its good u wana prep for track racing. im still learning myself.

just wana tease u a bit(dun mara ye), u sure u wana share helmet with other guys sweat??hehe

as for videos, we always got youtube. just search for subcon,prasath,slick,etc2. n u will find a bunch of helpful videos(can do mental racing also provided u know the turns)

the sifus are willing to give u a ride but they are even more willing to do it if u introduce them to some hot girl's(it's a kind of hormone booster for the sifus):driver:

goodluck finding the right setup for your car, i try n error only but most of the time error..huahahaha

lightningfield

2,000 RPM
Dec 29, 2004
Johor Bahru
www.ef-honda.com

subcon

1,000 RPM
Apr 28, 2005
Turn 5
1st of all i am not the track king here. if i am the track king then we will stand no chance against the FD2R geng on track LOL. the malaysian K-SERIES battle ala best motoring version is on the horizon and you will not banking me to carry the DC5 R team to glory :biggrin:

secondly that video of mine contains a lot of basic errors such as choices of gear, no heel & toe and my braking point was way too early. having said that it was my second time driving the DC5R on track and i'm still learning.

maybe you want to contact bb1-man? he used to own a track car and an avid racing driver! but i wonder where is he now lerr?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

A Lexus LF-A mule has unofficially recorded a lap time on the Nordschleife of 7 minutes, 24 seconds. This is not in dispute. What is in dispute is how many seconds faster the LF-A's lap time is than that of the 2008 Porsche 911 GT2, the previous "King of the 'Ring" record holder. Wikipedia notes that the fastest 911 GT2 driven around the Ring posted a lap time of 7 minutes, 32 seconds and...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience